IGNORED

Driveshaft Spline Question

Don M

I was accelerating pretty hard on an on-ramp last night on my 02 R1150GS when something cut loose in the drive train. Engine revs shot up, something in the vicinity of the transmission output shaft is making a ratcheting/grinding noise, and no power to the rear wheel. Transmission seems to be shifting OK, gear indicator shows I'm moving through the gears, and the grinding noise stops when neutral is indicated....grinds in all other gears. I just had the swing arm pivot bearings replaced by my local dealer and I'm wondering if there could be a connection. Would it be possible for the front driveshaft U-joint spline to pull off of the transmission output shaft spline if the U-joint snap ring didn't get properly seated when the driveshaft was reinstalled?

It can't pull off, there's not enough lateral room when the swing arm is in place. There have been incidents of one of the U-joints or the built-in rubber damper giving way though. Seems unlikely this would be caused by a dealer service error. The bike will move (abet noisily) under its own power though?

Would it be possible for the front driveshaft U-joint spline to pull off of the transmission output shaft spline if the U-joint snap ring didn't get properly seated when the driveshaft was reinstalled?

I don't know much about the front driveshaft splines, but I do know that it's possible for the rear u-joint/splines to work loose. I bought my bike used, and 3000 miles later I noticed an clunking noise coming from inside the swingarm. Since I was a clueless new BMW owner at the time (and I probably still am), I took it to the shop. The rear u-joint had worked itself loose and the driveshaft was flopping around inside the swingarm, shaving metal in the process. The last person that worked on the bike didn't get the locking ring completely seated. There was just enough spline contact left that the bike would still move. I'm glad I wasn't dead in the water out in the middle of nowhere.

It was a simple fix, just had to throw $415 at it for a new driveshaft.

Don,

I had the exact symptom's You describe. My splines were toast at 21,000 miles....Luckily I had six months left on my warranty.... Good Luck Let us know what it is!

Mark

Archived