IGNORED

Goodwood Revival 'Tale'

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

They actually let me sit on a few of these... so I guess I can classify it as a ride tale ..... and anyway, I just know that many of you will like these pictures....

... I'll post more in the 'Other discussions' or whatever the forum is called....

Past weekend I visited my good friend Didier... a Frenchman living in London, and a lifelong pilot. Usually we fly to Duxford and Goodwood this September weekend.... but alas.. Duxford changed the date of its event, and the Cessna was broken down (once more)..... so we had to drive down there.

The event itself is getting bigger and more commercial every year..... and not much cosier for that matter, but is still worth visiting (and reporting on).

The official press armbands I had helped of course.. alowing us to visit the paddock and such.

One important thing I learned (and missed during previous visits) is that you should not 'just' get on an English motorbike. Why !? Because on many the gear shift lever is the BRAKE, whereas 'their' gear shifter is on the right. Yikes !!! confused.gif

Not much to tell..... I think these pictures largely speak for themselves.... (and as I explained in another thread, I don't have much time these days.. posting this stuff really feels like 'hiding from school' <grin>)....

36678239-L.jpg

The amazing thing about Goodwood of course is that ALL these wonderful old machines are actually used..... and raced !!!!

36678243-L.jpg

36678234-L.jpg

The only thing not 'historic' are the helmets.....

36678246-L.jpg

36678249-L.jpg

36678254-L.jpg

The display 'outside', most of these were also used to tour around the circuit.... ummm.. track?

36678261-L.jpg

See what I mean ?? These people were having a ball !!!

36678264-L.jpg

And no, the guy in the background is not a terrorist. That's how we used to protect ourselves before full-faced helmets existed.. grin.gif

36678267-L.jpg

My first bike really looked an aweful lot like one of these..... crazy.gifblush.gif

36678271-L.jpg

'Even' a Harley amongs all the British and German bikes....

36678274-L.jpg

Now THIS is OLD !!!

36678277-L.jpg

36678280-L.jpg

And you think BMW has something new with their ESA on the 1200RT..... Hah !!!

36678281-L.jpg

Always there... a group of 'old' London cops with their bikes and cars...

36678283-L.jpg

The NEXT TWO are some of my favorite shots of the 500 I took this weekend !!!

36678285-L.jpg

36678286-L.jpg

I'll post some more in the 'other' forum..... hope you liked them. Wish I could've gone on the RT, but the ferry is too expensive right now wink.gif

Cheers all !! clap.gif

Francois

Francois,

Fantastic photos as per usual ...... it's a shame you can't hear these machines [ by reading this post ] as well as see them ...... they must have sounded glorious .

I was at the Goodwood Festival of speed a few years ago and fondly remember the noise [ and the smell ] of some of these great bikes .

That Harley looked lovely .........

Steve

Francois_Dumas

Thanks guys ! Yes, indeed the sound and the smell are sooooooo... ummm...... genuine !! Unfortunately

a) young(er) people have no idea (no association)

and

b) I cannot submit that through the forum and my photos frown.gif

To me and my 'old' friends going there and seeing, feeling, smelling and hearing it brings back so many memories........ but then..... 'old' is the operational word eh? wink.gif

36678239-L.jpg

OK, someone help me out here.

Are the shocks on the bike in the front & also the one in the background (just behind #79) adjustable via relocating the top mounting bolt on its mount?

Thanks for the blast from your past Francois clap.gifclap.gif

Yep, the Velocette Thruxton has adjustable rear shocks. By making the angle more or less acute, the leverage on the shock changes and the spring rate is effectively varied. clap.gif

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Francois,

The Policeman wearing glasses bears a striking resemblance to a contractor I use at work - he is also a keen biker and has rebuilt a Vincent which now runs like new - he has the original log book , and sourced parts from all over the world , including South Africa and Australia .

Steve

Francois,

I e- mailed the photo to him ............ his reply was ........

Very Funny.

Well Spotted.

It must have been my brother that my mother did'nt tell me about!

Steve

Great photos (as always) Francois.

I went last year and had a good time, found the Goodwood Festival of Speed a better event though as more variety of machinery present. Managed to get a thorough soaking this year though frown.gif

If you ever get the chance to ride/drive Goodwood I'd recommend it grin.gif

Francois_Dumas

@Steve: LOL !!!!

@gcp: as an old racing driver I would LOVE to... but I am not in the same league as the folks on Goodwood.. financially I mean wink.gif

Perhaps in 25 years I can sit there on my '04 RT outside the gates smirk.gif

Archived