IGNORED

Attaching tie down points on an 06 RT?

Deek

I use a "Biker's Friend" backrest/storage roll. In the photo below it can be seen between the top case and my seat. I use it mainly for back support, but it's extremely handy for stowing a rain suit, etc.

The problem is it is difficult to attach to the bike. Initially I tried using the RT's "grab rail", but that just made the two attachment straps on each side bunch together and the roll flopped around too much. I have been using two loops of nylon line that go around each of the two top attachment fittings for each saddle bags. Then I run the roll's strap through those two loops on each side and cinch it down as tightly as possible to keep the roll from moving around. It is not a perfect solution, and I'd be satisfied with it if I never removed the saddlebags; but I do have to do that from time to time. Re-attaching the roll is a humongous PITA.

My question (finally!):

Does anyone know if there is some sort of elegant attachment points that could be installed on the top of the saddlebag, or perhaps on the grab rail or the bike's chassis/body work? That would give me many more options of how to attach the roll. I could just drill a hole in the top of the saddlebags and install a eyelet, but most of the ones I've seen would not be very attractive, and I am also reluctant to drill a hole in the top of the saddlebag since it would surely leak.

Any ideas? Surely I am not the only guy out here with such a problem?

Thanks!

2219153320061932057S500x500Q85.jpg

Bungee buddies or bungee loops worked great on the 1150 side cases but the 1200 cases are double-walled so I'm not sure they will work there but you can check it out.

I'm thinking that some kind of loop or hook could be attached to the rack itself using 2 or 4 of the torx-head screws which secure the rack to the bike (below the rear seat)... maybe big cable holders from the electrical supply house or Home Depot.

malcolmblalock

The ROK Straps are one of the best inventions for tying things securely on the bike. Have probably used them for 50K miles and never had anything get loose, and they have never left a mark on the bike. I use the hand rails and tie in an "X" pattern, crossing the item being tied down in the middle. Try 'em; you'll like 'em!

Hi Deek,

I have these attached to the frame under the passenger seat and on the rear rack. I use them to strap things to the passenger seat (with bungies). I normally have the top box on and have now moved the rack straps to the far back openings. When not in use, I put the front ones under the seat. I don't bother but you can tuck the back ones under the top box. Work for me.

Roy

DSC_0624.JPG

DSC_0626.JPG

DSC_0628.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

I think that looks good. I have not thought about using the frame rails under the passenger seat, but I think I like that better than having to drill holes in my side cases.

The ROK Straps are one of the best inventions for tying things securely on the bike. Have probably used them for 50K miles and never had anything get loose, and they have never left a mark on the bike. I use the hand rails and tie in an "X" pattern, crossing the item being tied down in the middle. Try 'em; you'll like 'em!

Exactly what I do, works nicely.

I think you could "pop rivet" the bungee buddies to the outer wall of the new style cases. Also I seem to remember that the two parts of the case are able to be seperated, but if not you could drill holes on the inner wall big enough to put the nut and washer in then use rubber/plastic plugs to fill the hole with.

Archived