IGNORED

Splines on Final Drive Input Lube

Lockguy

I am in the middle of doing all the maintenance on an 04RT at 40k. Is there any need to remove the final drive for the purpose of lubing the splines? I don't see any requirements for it in the various maintenance schedules and I don't recall seeing any mention of these splines failing on this Forum.

Thanks

Curtis

Curtis,

The advice I've gotten on this forum is there is no need to pull the drive and lube the splines. I'm at 92K on my 96' R1100 RT and the FD has not been off yet.

My transmission would frequently "hang" while downshifting; pull the clutch and try to downshift, and the shift lever wouldn't budge. Clutch again and it would go into the lower gear. 2001 RTP with 78k.

Talked to a couple people at the last BRR ride, and they all said the same thing: spline lube. My bike just came back from the dealer from getting a spline lube and new clutch, and it's like a new machine. I can't believe how bad it was before.

I think some need it and some don't. Only you can judge.

Allen

My bike just came back from the dealer from getting a spline lube and new clutch, and it's like a new machine.
I think you're talking about lubing the splines on the gearbox input shaft, where the clutch disk travels. I think the OP is talking about the driveshaft splines at the final drive.
Unhofliche_Gesundheit

so Curtis - to answer your question - 1/ there is no specified maintenance interval for FD spline lubrication, 2/ there is no specified maintenance interval for clutch spline lubrication ...

however there have been instances of "premature" clutch spline failure (more on the 1150 than on the 1100 i think) it is a matter of some debate as to whether the clutch splines should be lubricated just in case. opinions differ.

one of these fine days i plan to lubricate my clutch splines but have procrastinated as the job is fairly involved.

a search here on " +spline +failure " or " +spline +lube" should get you some interesting reading.

I am in the middle of doing all the maintenance on an 04RT at 40k. Is there any need to remove the final drive for the purpose of lubing the splines? I don't see any requirements for it in the various maintenance schedules and I don't recall seeing any mention of these splines failing on this Forum.

Thanks

Curtis

Lubing the splines on the FD certainly doesn't hurt. However, more importantly, you need to remove, clean, check, and lube your pivot bearings periodically. I like to do it every 24K.

They can get loose, notchy, rusty, and cause you to misdiagnose your FD as going bad. Furthermore, you should also pull your driveshaft and check the upper splines, the rubber connector and especially the U-joints, plus lube the splines.

Jim :Cool:

Archived