IGNORED

Are you your own mechanic?

jfremder

In just 5 short years, I have gone from paying the dealer to do all maintenance on my bikes to now doing all regular maintenance myself on my bikes. I now do oil and filter changes, tune-ups, brake jobs, valve adjustments, I even re-wired part of my electrical system on the DR. I have also installed new handlebars, heated grips, skid plates, barkbusters, taillights and more.

It is extremely rewarding to do your own work if you have the time, the patience and the knowledge. A shop manual, proper tools and a garage are all very helpful, as is having at least one riding buddy who is more mechanically oriented than you are. I am very fortunate in that I have three good friends/riding pals who are all excellent mechanics.

Next project will be changing tires.

I have done all the (non warranty/recall) service on all of the vehicles and "toys" that I have owned. Growing up on a small farm and now, being retired (got the time), and having a well-equipped shop (got the space and tools/equipment) helps immensely. As stated by others: enjoyment, self-satisfaction, and $$ saved are the motivators.

Of all the bikes I've owned (20+), only 4 or 5 were taken back to the dealer for initial servicing. This was done for one of two reasons:

- The bike also needed some warranty work done

- The bike was purchased at a dealer in another state at the beginning of a long, planned trip.

The rest of the servicing/repair was all done "in-house."

My new RT, purchased in August, was one of the few taken back to the dealer (for the second reason above). On the RT, however, I plan to take to my "local" dealer (125 miles away) for the 6k service just to get it documented for "The Motorrad." Unless warranty or other major issues develop, I will be doing all servicing from that point on.

No dealer has ever seen my "00 R1150GS, my '93 Ford Ranger (sold in 2006) or my 2006 Toyota Tacoma. My 2002 VFR800 has been to the dealer only twice, both for Honda ordered recall work. That's 260K miles of owner maintenance and upgrades. I also did all the work on my RT once I learned how.

I do so because I think I do as good a job as most other wrenches, and better than the rest. It's just my opinion, but I've never had a failure or breakdown of any kind while out on the road. Oops, my bad. I have had one headlight and two PIAA bulbs fail while out on the road. Two of which I replaced with parts I carry while travelling, and one PIAA foglight actually remained failed for 2000 miles until I returned home.

Other than that, my bikes have run well and reliably, I've learned enough to be self sufficient at home or out in the boonies, and I've probably saved a few bucks. Oilheads in particular are just too easy to service to justify asking anyone else to work on my ride.

Everything on all my vehicles for many years. Even engine internal work. If I don’t have the tool or knowledge, I go get it. With the exception of mounting and balancing cage tires, I can’t remember the last time I paid someone to fix something on a vehicle.

So far I have done everything except the 600 mile service. I have little choice in the matter. I would have to ride 286 miles total and wait 3 to 8 hours to get my bike back from the dealer. After the 600 mile service several bolts were not tightened ($300)? I bought the book and about 70,000 miles later my only big exspense was for a driveshaft and, of course, tires. I would hesitate to overhaul the engine and electronics can get me very confused. The BMW 1150 RT has several peculiar things going on but the most irritating was not being able to pull the driveshaft out the back of the drive tube???? and replace it the same way. WHY???

I started out wanting to learn everything, but with work obligations, family commitements, and riding, I can't find time to do my own mainteneance, except oil changes. I have my local dealer do everything else.

CoarsegoldKid

Except for the 600 mile service I've done it all myself too, including tires. I have the time. I've had too many bad experiences having service done in a shop. One dropped the bike off the lift, broke a turn signal and rear peg bracket. They didn't say squat. When I left the shop entering the freeway I reached back for the rear peg and it was hanging at an odd angle. Upon further examination I saw the turn signal was new. They played dumb but eventually paid to have the bracket re-welded. A Vance and Hines shop changed the jetting on a stock touring bike because "they said it would run stronger". It didn't and they wouldn't change it back. So I did. I've seen crimped o-rings, stripped torx heads, cross threaded spark plugs all from professional mechanics. I think they must be under pressure to quickly do a job and they are human. Humans make errors. Mechanics in training sometimes get your bike. Major work may well be another matter for me to attempt.

Archived