IGNORED

R1200RT: Do you ride it like you stole it?

deaks

I recently swapped my '97 R1100RT for a nice shiny '07 R1200RT with more gizmo's than my car. I have read an awful lot of comments about the bike, some good, some bad, but for me the R1200RT is in a different class for the kind riding I do.... except for one thing... I tended to run the 1100 around the 5k - 6k rev mark, but the 1200 doesn't seem to like this too much and get's pretty buzzy... further up is quite nice and lower down too, but sometimes it feels like it's labouring a little if I'm in too low a gear, although it still pulls very nicely. I asked about this at the dealer and the techs said to keep the revs low, but reading on the net I see advice to the contrary.

So my question is this - how do you ride yours?

One of the reasons for asking this is that I had a failed exhaust valve on my 1100 after about a year - I managed to fix it and let everyone on the forum know about my woes - the general consensus was to 'give it some beans' once I got it running again.

Ta,

Scott

I find that there is a huge amount of nonsense "expertise" coming from people. Current Porshe "boxer" motor owners are told "don't ever lug it, keep the rpms up". This comes from Porshes in the 1950s with roller bearing cranks that would not take any lugging or a ping or two. Obsolete info from 50 years ago.

I see a similar situation with the BMW boxers. "Don't lug it"; "I get better gas mileage on the interstate in 5th gear than in 6th"; etc.

FWIW my opinion is:

1- If you lug it enough to be an issue, it is shaking so hard that you would have to be brain dead to continue. It will pull comfortably from 3,000 RPM unless you are looking for hard accelleration or pulling a steep hill. It will cruise along at 2,500rpm in 4th or 5th but I can't see a reason that you would want to regularly do that.

2- My R1200RT is smoother than R1100RT at higher RPM. It was a bit buzzy until fully broken in around 8,000 miles. There were 2 track days in that 8,000 miles BTW.

3- Surely your not cruising at 5-6k RPM. That has to be way above any speed limit I remember in the UK but its been a long time. There are times I would prefer a slightly higher 6th but then there are lots of roads around here where the main traffic moves at 80mph (130kph).

I'm thinking if it feels "buzzy" at speed, it either isn't rully broken in, or it needs to be serviced. Throttle body sync?

I have an 07 that I ride like a sport bike. It will cruise all day right at 5k and get you 45-48 mpg.

I had an 1100RT then an 1150RS. The 12OO has different power curves than either of those. It does indeed like to reve a little higher.

I have Ohlin on mine and ride with sportbike buddies. You will be fine. Adjust the valves and sync up the TBs.

Mine does not burn any oil between changes and I regularly cruise the highway between 4500-5000 RPM.

Have fun with it!

Me three, rode mine pretty aggressively and set the cruise in the 5-6.5k range with no problem at all. I never noticed any buzz on mine but then I had a HD prior to it so it could have been shaking like a washer on spin cycle and I wouldn't have noticed...

+5. I keep my side bags off unless I'm touring. Trunk case only if I need to haul something, otherwise it's the small tail bag.

Looks sporty enough, might as well ride it that way~! :thumbsup:

3- Surely your not cruising at 5-6k RPM. That has to be way above any speed limit I remember in the UK but its been a long time.

erm... well...whilst I don't exactly go nuts, neither do I tend to potter around - I think the term is 'making progress'. To be honest, I don't tend to get into 6th on the 1200, but then I hardly got out of 4th on the 1100 - most of my journeys are on A roads or congested motorways.

I'm thinking if it feels "buzzy" at speed, it either isn't rully broken in, or it needs to be serviced. Throttle body sync?

I thought this myself, so I took it back to the dealer and they gave it the all clear on the sync, it was also serviced by them before I bought it. It has 13000 on the clock, but from the almost complete lack of wear on the bike I suspect it's been *very* well looked after and not thrashed in any way shape or form. I'm beginning to think you are correct and it's not been fully broken in yet.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. The 1100 was my first bike and I stuck over 36k on it in the 3 years I had it, so I got to know it's quirks quite well. I think it's just a case of adjusting to the characteristics of the 1200 engine.

Cheers,

Scott

Scott,

totally different animals.

With my 1100 I agree that 4th fit a variety of speeds and needs on the highway w/5th almost an overdrive above 80mph.

The 1200 is not like that and you'll need to find the zone where it too performs.

The dealer advise to not rev it is suspect IMO.

Best wishes.

I was told by the lead mechanic at my dealership to never shift below 4000 RPM. Shifting lower than 3000 RPM doesn't feel right. After 3 years and 40k miles I don't even think about any of this anymore because it is very intuitive. That's what riding is all about, becoming one with the engine, transmission and handling. You shouldn't need to be told how to ride the bike, the bike will tell you how it likes to be riden. :thumbsup:

Scott,

With my 1100 I agree that 4th fit a variety of speeds and needs on the highway w/5th almost an overdrive above 80mph.

The 1200 is not like that and you'll need to find the zone where it too performs.

Best wishes.

Maybe that is why my engine blew at 36k???? You know...revs.

I ride mostly slabbing-miles on a stretch of California highway where you're risking a rear end collision if you're riding under 80MPH. I am embarrassed to admit that I "cruise" between 80mph and 100mph and rarely ride at 70mph unless a B&W is directly behind me.

My RPM's are routinely between 3500 and 4200 rpm while "cruising", except when I'm in 6th gear over 80MPH or have the throttle wide open accelerating , because I don't remember ever looking down to check RPM's then.

My gas mileage sucks at about 40 to 42mph. I don't much care about my gas mileage when I'm riding fast, only when I'm at the pump (or have run out of gas because my fuel gauge lied to me).

My bike could appear to be a sport bike, as I have never yet ridden with the side cases on (interferes with lane splitting), and it looks pretty sporty without them, but one look at the rider dispels any doubt.

"YMMV"; Sure as heck now mine does. :grin:

Do I ride it like I stole it? Well, heck yeah. Actually (and may God NOT strike me dead for bragging), I did steal it! Anyone else buy their R1200RT for $8K or less?

(And NO, "free" doesn't count for the guys who won theirs in a drawing).

(Yes, it was a gift from God that I didn't deserve.)

I love my RT. Praise God! (Ok, praise BMW a tiny bit, too.)

- Scott

I ride mostly slabbing-miles on a stretch of California highway where you're risking a rear end collision if you're riding under 80MPH. I am embarrassed to admit that I "cruise" between 80mph and 100mph and rarely ride at 70mph unless a B&W is directly behind me.

My RPM's are routinely between 3500 and 4200 rpm while "cruising", except when I'm in 6th gear over 80MPH or have the throttle wide open accelerating , because I don't remember ever looking down to check RPM's then.

My gas mileage sucks at about 40 to 42mph. I don't much care about my gas mileage when I'm riding fast, only when I'm at the pump (or have run out of gas because my fuel gauge lied to me).

My bike could appear to be a sport bike, as I have never yet ridden with the side cases on (interferes with lane splitting), and it looks pretty sporty without them, but one look at the rider dispels any doubt.

"YMMV"; Sure as heck now mine does. :grin:

Do I ride it like I stole it? Well, heck yeah. Actually (and may God NOT strike me dead for bragging), I did steal it! Anyone else buy their R1200RT for $8K or less?

(And NO, "free" doesn't count for the guys who won theirs in a drawing).

(Yes, it was a gift from God that I didn't deserve.)

I love my RT. Praise God! (Ok, praise BMW a tiny bit, too.)

- Scott

If you're cruising between 80 and 100 at your usual 3500 to 4200 RPM, you apparently have a different rear end ratio than most all R12's. On an 12RT 4.2k RPM gets you in the mid 70's. What ratio final drive did you put in that thing? You must mean your usual 80 to 100 MPH cruising is really 65 to 75MPH if you do spend most of your time at 3500 to 4200RPM. Which is it, off on the numbers or different {custom made} rear drive???

You mean it's not a sport bike ???? :S

Several of my 'Busa buddies would disagree with that !

:rofl:

He said: "My RPM's are routinely between 3500 and 4200 rpm while "cruising", EXCEPT when I'm in 6th gear over 80MPH"

Since 4200 equals approx a "real" 80mph, that sounds about right to me.

As far as leaving side cases off to split lanes, that would be mostly psychological on a R1200RT. The side cases are the widest part of R1100RT or R1150RT if you have the standard lids. The side cases are noticeably narrower than the bar ends on my R1200RT. Not that I'm interested in touching either between cars!

He said: "My RPM's are routinely between 3500 and 4200 rpm while "cruising", EXCEPT when I'm in 6th gear over 80MPH"

Since 4200 equals approx a "real" 80mph, that sounds about right to me.

As far as leaving side cases off to split lanes, that would be mostly psychological on a R1200RT. The side cases are the widest part of R1100RT or R1150RT if you have the standard lids. The side cases are noticeably narrower than the bar ends on my R1200RT. Not that I'm interested in touching either between cars!

Slight hijack of topic I guess, but I've measured the side cases, and they are in fact wider than my bar ends (08 1200RT). But I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't really make much of a difference, because if you look at the geometry, you are pivoting about the rear wheel when you turn or adjust your course. Any slight "wiggle" or course deviation from a straight line will effectively put your bar ends farther out from the side cases anyway even if they aren't, since they have to swing a wide arc.

I don't think I've ever contacted a side case, but I've contacted the mirror twice on occasion.

In my experience anyway, it is better for the R type engine to "ride it like you stole it." It likes hard acceleration and higher rpms. Many times when my bike doesn't run well because it hasn't been used for awhile all I need to do is to get the cobwebs out is to run it hard for a couple of hundred miles. I come home with a bike that seems content with itself.

I have an '06 RT and got ragged by the Service Manager at my dealer after my 6000 mile service, for lugging the bike. Carbon build up, etc. This is my first BMW and I am more used to riding a high torque lower RPM cruiser. The service manager advised me ride more aggressively....I now shift at 5000 rpm and have to admit the bike is a lot more fun to ride. This bike just doesn't like to be lugged at any speed. On the other hand I fear I will have a close encounter with a PD officer very soon.....

But officer "I was just clearing the cobwebs out of the motor", that's no excuse that will be a $1500 fine & 6 demerit points! That was a few years ago now it still bugs me the road was deserted.....

Back on topic I just ride my ST to what feels right to me, rarely let the motor lug below about 3000rpm & if the motor is warmed up & I really want to make progress no harm in hitting 7500-8000rpm is there?

Teddy

If you're cruising between 80 and 100 at your usual 3500 to 4200 RPM, you apparently have a different rear end ratio than most all R12's. On an 12RT 4.2k RPM gets you in the mid 70's. What ratio final drive did you put in that thing? You must mean your usual 80 to 100 MPH cruising is really 65 to 75MPH if you do spend most of your time at 3500 to 4200RPM. Which is it, off on the numbers or different {custom made} rear drive???

Danged if I know what you're talking about. Have you got a point to make?

I THINK I said that I cruise most of the time between 3500 and 4200, EXCEPT during hard acceleration or when "cruising above 80 mph", when I don't look at the tac. My attention during those periods are NOT focused on my tachometer.

Slight hijack of topic I guess, but I've measured the side cases, and they are in fact wider than my bar ends (08 1200RT). But I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't really make much of a difference, because if you look at the geometry, you are pivoting about the rear wheel when you turn or adjust your course. Any slight "wiggle" or course deviation from a straight line will effectively put your bar ends farther out from the side cases anyway even if they aren't, since they have to swing a wide arc.

I don't think I've ever contacted a side case, but I've contacted the mirror twice on occasion.

You're probably right. My measurements have my side cases at +2" outside my mirrors, and since I'm usually wiggling between SUV mirrors on both sides, it'd take a lot more than 2" to get the side cases to scrape a vehicle alongside me. However, I've twice lost a mirror while lane splitting (:dopeslap:), and just don't want to be thinking about the side cases when I'm maneuvering through traffic.

First congrats on the new bike acquisition. I ride an ST with the same engine and I'm a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde type of rider. Ride the bike like you stole it at least some miles, if you ever want to get the rings fully seated. With a broad mix of riding mine still took around 12k miles to get most of the run in done. Why I bring that up is once the engine is fully run in, the soft zones of the 1200's power band while still present do improve. I've never woried about keeping my rev's up for just the sake of avoid lugging. I normally keep it above 2500 rpms but, don't enjoy trips to the redline as well. For the backroads with lots of curves I generally run fast with only 4500 rpm shift points and getting around 47 mpg at the same time.

I normally keep it above 2500 rpms but, don't enjoy trips to the redline as well.

Sorry for the lack of proof reading. I meant to say "and enjoy trips to the redline as well."

Scott,

Best wishes.

Maybe that is why my engine blew at 36k???? You know...revs.

Not likely.

I suspect your oil was 13.4 ml low.

Lone_RT_rider
Oil was one of the first things they tried to say. Nope, nada, zip....full. I suspect it was that R motor made in Taiwan now. :lurk:

Tawain now builds the "good stuff" in Asian small engines. So much so that Honda has moved production of their famed GX390 (13 Hp) engine for outdoor products to Taiwan. The new name is low quality Asian engines is now Chongqing, China. There's a very large engine manfucature there that also makes more than a few scooters and motorcycles.

Archived