IGNORED

headlights on 1200gs

tpanhuis

I did a search to see how I could turn off headlights while riding and could not come up with old post --I would greatly appreciate it if someone could fill me in.Thanks in advance. smile.gif Ted

Try...

Ignition on.

Allow check to complete.

Press indicator cancel for 5 secs.

Press right indicator switch for 5 secs.

Lights should be off.

Start engine.

This will reset next time you switch off the ignition.

(Disclaimer--I've not tried this.)

David posted the trick to have the bike start without the headlights coming on, but I've never heard of a way to turn them off once underway.

David posted the trick to have the bike start without the headlights coming on, but I've never heard of a way to turn them off once underway.

This trick will work while the engine is running -- definitely before the first after-ignition roll-off, and possibly at any time while stopped.

why do this?

Some racetracks insist on headlight off

On a bumpy road, it can look as if you are flashing (which means over here that you are giving way to traffic)

Wanting to work on the bike with the headlight off

More visibility if there is a low sun directly behind you.

Having said all that, I always keep my headlight on. wink.gif

Paul

Yeah but the headlight is easy to reach for track duty. I've replaced two and it takes all of 30 seconds.

Where I am all the roads are bumpy, but it doesn't mean giving way to traffic here. But I see your point, but hten how do you predict when a road is bumpy and not?

You can work on it without the headlight on. Only the marker light stays on when you put the key in but don't start it. Are the Euro models different?

Why would there be more visibility with the sun behind you with the lights off? Do you mean for hte on-coming traffic or yourself? I'm assuming on-coming.

I just leave well enough alone.

why do this?

On the older bikes, the euroswitch would kill ALL the lights (running, tail, dash, head, parking) and was a great way to get away from the police, particularly after armed robberies.

Aside from that, the chief benefit is having a more visible high-beam flash (as in flash-flash-flash I'm coming through or flash flash flash get outta my way).

It's a nice function to have, although I've only used it in a gee-whiz capacity on the GS, and not for any actual riding or repair.

I'd like to know the codes to kill all the lights, like the good old days.

Actually it should be pretty easy if you REALLY want the function. I was suppose to do this on a buddy's new ST, but then he moved to a different city before we got to it.

Intercept both head lamps and the tail lamp & brake lights with two NC DPDT relays. One in the front one in the back. Then trigger them to pull open from a switch somewhere. Hit the switch = lights out. The bike will set a "lamp out" fault when you hit it, but so what?

why do this?

Because you are at the MSF/ERC and mostly idling, to avoid running down the battery.

Because you are in a training/track environment, where it could be distracting to the instructors or other students.

I ran all weekend with my ABS deactivated and my headlight off during an off-road riding class. I stopped and started with the kill switch only and left the key on (and the ABS and headlight deactivated) all day.

Archived