IGNORED

Tourrance tire pressures?

mark5lam

I’ve run Annakee and BT-020’s on my R1200GS. Both have been excellent tires. If I was going to only ride street, I’d probably stick with the 020’s but I want to explore more dual sport riding. Annakee’s were excellent road tires and I wouldn’t mind running them again but most people say I’ll get a bit more mileage out of Torrance so I’m thinking I’ll give them a try. Question is, considering that I’m still a 180 pound, one-up road rider 90 percent of the time, what tire pressures would you set your Torrance’s to (front and back) to provide the best level of twisty road grip and highway longevity?

ShovelStrokeEd

why not go to the Metzeler sight and see what they have to say.

You probably won't be too far off on pavement with 36/39 or so. 10 lbs lower for dirt riding is about right so long as you don't encounter too many large rocks.

why not go to the Metzeler sight and see what they have to say.

You probably won't be too far off on pavement with 36/39 or so. 10 lbs lower for dirt riding is about right so long as you don't encounter too many large rocks.

Ed,

I did go to their site but didn't really find what I was looking for. I think it's safe to say that Metzeler makes good tires but I'm looking for the real world opinions and experiences of those that use them. Thanks again.

I think Metzeler recommend 36/42 for all loadings. This is what I used on my 1150GS and 1200GS and it worked for me. I found if the pressure in the rear was below 40psi, the handling (and fuel consumption) went to pot. YMMV of course. Also saves changing pressures with a pillion. ooo.gif

Paul

I guess the 61 thousand miles in 22 months I put on my '04 1150GS Adv using Metzlers doesn't qualify me. frown.gif

Ed,

No offence intended. I was speaking in generalities. Your original reply didn’t say anything of your experience just suggested I check out the Metzeler web site. I appreciate your time and input. Thank you.

thumbsup.gif

I use Pilot Road and in hopes of getting a definite answer on the pressure I called the Michelin - wrong thing to do - all they would say is to use whatever bike mfg suggests. Looks to me that everyone is using higher pressure from what BMW reccommends. According to Michelin pressure should be change with the load on the bike (true) but it shouldn't make any difference what brand of tire you use.

Mark

I talked to Bill Shaw who has run up quite a few miles on his GS. He recomended 41 psi front and rear, Said I should get around 12,000 miles out of the tires. He also said when you hit the dirt or gravel you will want to refduce pressure.

I have been following his advice and he seems to be right on target aboust wanting to reduce pressure when in dirt or gravel. I don't know about the mileage yet. I mounted the tourances at the BMW National rally and have only put 7,000 miles on the set but they appear to be wearing better than the Anakees.

I spoke with a genteleman at the BMW Open House last weekend and he reported getting 17,000 miles out of his rear. Of course he was a skinny little guy and may not be logging a lot of touring miles.

Archived