IGNORED

Microfiber

While doing a search on another subject, I ran into a thread about cleaning windshields and visors. I had never heard of microfiber before, but now understand it is great stuff for cleaning certain items. Later that night I was out doing errands and went to Wally-World and bought a pack of microfiber towels. It never occured to me that there may be good and bad versions of the product. Is all microfiber the same? If not, what brands are better?

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I have no answer to your question. I bought a pack of [many] at Costco for less than the price of 1 from the dealer. They work just as well so far.

I don't know if there are bad versions of microfiber, but I have the earlier really expensive towels and then later bought a bundle of cheapos at Wally-World.

I find them great--yes the cheapos--for cleaning my faceshield and other things. When on a trip I carry a wet one in a baggie and a dry one. The wet one does a great job of cleaning off bugs and the dry one does a great job of drying the shield without leaving a film.

IIRC they were back in the automotive section. If not there, look in cleaning stuff.

To answer the other question, I think they work as well as the more expensive towels for our purposes. But I don't think one towel will dry off a big bike. When I bought the expensive ones, I was into detailing my now departed 330i sedan. The towels were almost bath size and worked well for drying and waxing the car. But, they came with special care instructions and you aren't supposed to use fabric softener when you wash/dry them eek.gif.

The cheapos have no such warning and work just as well after washing them with the rest of the laundry.

I'm pretty sure the "no fabric softener" instruction is because fabric softeners leave a silicone coating on the fabric. When the microfibers get coated that way, they don't work like they used to for drying and dust grabbing.

I'd guess it would wash off/out eventually. smile.gif

Microfiber towels....the only way to fly grin.gif

I've been using them for a few years now for my car detailing and bike clensing....and it's the "only" thing I use on face shields and windscreens.

Archived