IGNORED

Moto Lights / Fog Lights Same Switch?

Bigfish

Has anyone tied their Moto Lights into the same switch as their fog lights?

I always run my fog lights and Moto lights. Can't imagine why I would ever not want them both on. :S

Would be able to eliminate the extra switch on my clutch reservoir. :thumbsup:

Hit the stock fog light switch and have both turn on would be awesome. ;)

Oh yea... it's on an 04 R1150RT.

There is no reason to not use the same switch as long as the lights themselves are driven by a relay. The output from the switch being used as the relay trigger. Neither the stock switch nor the stock witing are capable of taking the current for moto lights.

Andy

Or you can buy an autoswitch (cyclegadgets.com) for the motolights. With an autoswitch, you can turn the motolights on my holding the turn signal cancel button. This way you can have the fogs/motolights work independently from each other.

I have my Piaa's running off the turn signal cancel button, and my high mounted aux. high beams running off the high beam flash button.

When holding the flash or turn signal cancel button, it arms the relay. There are no other switches needed.

Neither the stock switch nor the stock wiring are capable of taking the current for moto lights.

Andy

So what you are saying is that I should not tap into the wires of the fog light switch? (Moto Light use too much current?) :S

As it is now, my moto lights hook up directly to the battery terminals. There is a Relay and a switching lead going to my front parking light. All of this is attached to a switch on top of my clutch reservoir. Can you simplify the steps in order to make them work from the Stock Fog Light Switch?

Mine are wired into my Centech Fuse block and use the factory switch which mounted near the VIN tag on the frame right behind the steerer tube. Oh yeah, my Motolights have been turned ON once... and have never been turned off since then.

I rarely use my fog lights, but do have my turn signals set up as running lights vis-a-vis my Kissan SignalMinder.

I always run my fog lights and Moto lights. Can't imagine why I would ever not want them both on. :S .......

Hit the stock fog light switch and have both turn on would be awesome. ;)

Oh yea... it's on an 04 R1150RT.

I did just that on my 03RT some 60+k miles ago.

The fog light (switch) powers the Moto light relay.

I just received my PC-8 from EasternBeaver.com

Could you explain how you have yours hooked up.

The wiring loom for the PC-8 has a relay and the Moto Lights also have a relay.

Do I need to eliminate the Moto Light relay and use the one from the Fuse Block?

I am very new to all this wiring stuff. Trying to do it correctly. Any advise appreciated.

Neither the stock switch nor the stock wiring are capable of taking the current for moto lights.

Andy

So what you are saying is that I should not tap into the wires of the fog light switch? (Moto Light use too much current?) :S

As it is now, my moto lights hook up directly to the battery terminals. There is a Relay and a switching lead going to my front parking light. All of this is attached to a switch on top of my clutch reservoir. Can you simplify the steps in order to make them work from the Stock Fog Light Switch?

As you have a relay you have an easy install. Take the wire that currently runs form your motolights switch to the relay and tap that into the foglight switch and you are good to go. The concern was to not power the lights directly (no relay) as this takes a lot of power.

Andy

The PC-8 relay controls the fuseblock. Keep your motolights relay so as to avoid switching the high-current that feeds the lights - you only switch the low-current relay trigger.

Andy

I am very new to all this wiring stuff. Trying to do it correctly. Any advise appreciated.

It is said that a a picture is worth a thousand words..... in my case perhaps two thousand.

Look here at circuit #2.

For this install, the 12v source would be the switched contact of the fog light switch (no power to it when the switch is in the off position).

Also the fuse represents the fuse within the fuse block that you will be adding.

60+k miles ago was far too long for me to remember how to access the fog switch but perhaps someone else will chime in on the details?

Look here for splicing tips.

Good luck with this & just remember the #1 most important secret to successful wiring........

Always keep the smoke in the wire, never let it out :grin:

Archived