IGNORED

Possible scam ?

big-t

I just posted a car for sale on craigs list and almost immediately,got a response wanting the vin number.I didn't think to much about it and sent the vin,thinking some one was checking it for crash damage.It seemed like it was legitimate,with a regular name,but going back now the wording on the first message looks the same as below

An hour later,I get a second response from another person asking for the Vin.I'm definitely not sending it to him.

yor car

hey

can i get the vin number of the car?

thanks

regards

faramarz abarahadi

What can they do with the vin number??

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Don't do it. They probably won't scam you, but they might use your pictures and vin to scam other people.

Tell them to come look at it, and they can get the vin for themselves.

To check the car's accident and repair record on Carfax you need the VIN number.

Not saying they are not trying to scam you, but before I go look at a car, I put the VIN number into Carfax to check it's history.

You didn't state what type of vehicle you're selling but since you got two calls for the vin you may become a victim of vin cloning. ...cloning
Interesting. Why would they (cloners) have to get a VIN from Craig’s List or somewhere though? Couldn’t they just make one up? As long as it was the right format, and they followed the schema of the model, changing the digits unique to the specific vehicle would be all that is needed it seems to me.

I'm always sceptical of this. I don't know this for fact, but I'm afraid they can track the VIN to your address, & steal the vehicle for sale. Freedom of info act & all.

I may be whacked on this idea, but I'd really rather lose a sale than have it stolen.

You didn't state what type of vehicle you're selling but since you got two calls for the vin you may become a victim of vin cloning. ...cloning
Interesting. Why would they (cloners) have to get a VIN from Craig’s List or somewhere though? Couldn’t they just make one up? As long as it was the right format, and they followed the schema of the model, changing the digits unique to the specific vehicle would be all that is needed it seems to me.

A legit reason to request the VIN is to be able to do a Carfax check.

yor car

hey

can i get the vin number of the car?

thanks

regards

faramarz abarahadi

The poor spelling, punctuation, lack of caps, failure to identify the car more specifically, and weird name would be enough red flags to give me pause too. I wouldn't respond unless they contacted me a second time.

Jay

Todd, I doubt it could cause much harm. Afterall, every car has its VIN displayed in plain sight on the drivers side of the windshield. Anyone could just walk up and write it down.

Afterall, every car has its VIN displayed in plain sight on the drivers side of the windshield. Anyone could just walk up and write it down.

Probably right,but it gives me the willies,knowing that I might have handed out info that possibly could result in some financial pain... :dopeslap:

Archived