IGNORED

How to change the foglight ?

Good_Fixs

I had one burned out a couple weeks ago. I bought 2 (might as well do both while in there) at AutoZone for like $7.00.

This is what I took off and how much a pain I thought it was...

Remove

1-tupperware from both sides - done this enought to be pretty quick

2-remove all screws for the dash face plate (or what ever it is called) - again easy

3-windshield - no problem here just 4 screws

4-the nose cone comes loose by removing 4 or 6 screws (can't remember exactly) - no problem

Now is the point were I began to have a little difficulity. An extra pair of hands are highly recommended, I know this because I didn't have help!

5-when you pull off the nose cone there are only 3 places where connections are made. remove the light from the bottom of the assembly by pulling it out. go easy and it will come out. unhook the wiring connector.

6-now the fun part and good place to have that extra set of hands. turn the headlight adjustment knob to loosen. don't know which way I was turning it because I had one hand under the nose cone and the other was reaching around the back side of the dash plate and turning the knob. you will see by looking at the lever attached to the headlight if you are loosening or tighting it. when you reach the end you can unscrew the nut on the headlight assembly to remove the barrel end of the headlight adjuster from the adjustment lever. now the nose cone should be free. pull off the rubber boot and unclip the old H3 light and pull out the connector and replace with the new one.

button it back up the way you took it apart. One word of advise I learned the hard way the nut that holds the headlight adjustment cable WILL NOT loosen enough to pull it free if you don't back off all the tension using the knob on the dash face.

The total time of the procedure was about 3 hours. about 30-45 minutes of that me going to AutoZone to get the replacements.

I had never taken off more than the tupperware so taking off the nose without any instructions or prior research into how to get it off. Like I said there is probably a better way to get in there and replace the lights but I don't know it. And I'm sure you will hear from someone who has a better way.

Good luck!

Remove

2-remove all screws for the dash face plate (or what ever it is called) - again easy

4-the nose cone comes loose by removing 4 or 6 screws (can't remember exactly) - no problem

Add one more step to the above -- remove the speakers that I think came stock on your year RT. With the speakers, it's necessary to have the dexterity of Elasti-girl (take your child to see The Fantastics, if you haven't already) or remove a rediculous amount of body work to get at the bulb. With the speakers removed, replacing the bulb thereafter is as simple as what's described in the owner's manual. Otherwise, major PITA.

Yeeha! Stephen

Remove

Add one more step to the above -- remove the speakers that I think came stock on your year RT. With the speakers, it's necessary to have the dexterity of Elasti-girl (take your child to see The Fantastics, if you haven't already) or remove a rediculous amount of body work to get at the bulb. With the speakers removed, replacing the bulb thereafter is as simple as what's described in the owner's manual. Otherwise, major PITA.

I will dump the speakers next time, but this time I did it with just removing the Horns. I didn't have to pull the fairing nose.

Alen, others may disagree but I find replacing the fog lamps from the front of the bike is fairly easy even with the speaker enclosures and faring in place. Sitting on a bucket or stool in front of the bike cover the front fender with an old towel to prevent scratches, from underneath and behind the oil cooler undo the horn bracket mounting nut on the side that has the lamp your replacing. The horn wiring connector looks frail internally to me so I hook it around the fork leg rather than disconnecting it. This will give you direct access to the rubber fog lamp cover and the lamp mounting tabs. Have a look up inside before removing the lamp to see how its locked in place, the lamp is directional and only goes in one way. I wear XXL gloves and it takes me about ten minuets this way.

Archived