IGNORED

Recent Experience with Cycleport Cordura and Kevlar Riding Apparel

Bear1

This fall I am looking to raise the bar on my riding apparel. I have been looking at the riding apparel from Cycleport for some time now and wonder what experience the "community" has had with the company and their products.

I haven't bought anything recently but I have used MotoPort/Cycleport riding apparel for some time and have been pleased with the quality and protection.

We've only purchased gloves from them and have had no problems. Quite happy with product. Used to go down to their store in Escondido but they have since closed it. A little disorganized at times but still like their stuff. Friend of mine has riding pants and and jacket and is quite happy. Only complaint is their jackets do not have as much venting as Aerostitch.

I have pair of their Cordura Pants, and although the waterproof liner is an extra step, the pants breathe well enough without the liner that they're pretty comfortable in higher temps. They also withstood one medium and one small slide well, some abrasions show, but nothing wore through.

I'd planned to replace them with the same, but the company's changed a lot -- from having a storefront and stock, to quoting me 6 -7 weeks lead on a the same thing that used to be off the shelf with them.

Seems like a couple people I've talked to recently were pretty happy with their Cycleport Kevlar mesh. Maybe Signman will see this and give you his experience. smile.gif

I have the Kevlar Air Mesh. I have worn them exclusively for a little over a year now. I really like the custom fit. The folks that spoke of the lead time are correct. I waited 7 weeks after I had a tailor measure me and sent the measurements in to Cycloport.

I think the product is well worth the wait and I will buy from them again. I had a snap break and I called them and had 2 snaps sent to me no charge. They would have fixed it for free but I was not in a position to send the garment back. The mesh breaths very well and I am confortable in it from about 55 to 95 degrees. Below that a sweatshirt or the liner works well until I need the heated vest.

I think the garment has a ton of pockets and they are designed well.

After talking to a bunch of people and doing research for about 8 months I went with Motoport.

I hope this helps you

sal

I have ridden with the Kevlar pants for some time and find them bulky but very comfortable. The pants breath to a degree that is surprising. While the snap in liner is very effective against rain and cold it is also a nuisance to deal with. When I have to deal with the liner I wish the pants were waterproof. Great pants for most weather and very good protection.

Yes, as Laney says, Sue & I both wear the Kevlar mesh pants and love them, they work great in 100+ degree days with a light weight pant underneath, and down into the low 50's. With jeans, they will go down into the low 40's without a liner.

The only problem is their service, as they don’t have a retail store and make every garment as ordered, it can take awhile to get your order filled, but it’s worth the wait. I only wish they did have stock hanging on the rack.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I have worn their equipment for some time and feel it is the best available. I have had experience with Aerostich, First Gear, Belstaff and hein Gericke and the Cycleport beats them all in comfort. Not as convenient having to add liners in rain in hot weather and cold their gear shines.

I have the Air Kevlar mesh jacket and pants and the 1000D pants, of all the brands I've seen the best protection of any mesh product. The kevlar is slightly stiffer than the cordura and obviously has better flow than the cordura, which is not a mesh. I also like the idea that you can actually get a mesh product in a non-black color (I'm amazed at the number of hot weather gear items available only in black). I'm not a fan of the knee armor (I've replaced the knee armor with T-PRO products) it feels like 2 dinner plates that are hinged in the middle and I would prefer armor over the prominence of the hip as opposed to wrapping around the high. The company service does not provide the level of quality that the products demonstrate. If you want one make sure you order it way before you need. I would get the air mesh again because of the level of protection the fabric offers. I am looking to replace the cordura with the BMW streetguard 2 laminated cordura Gore XCR anf TFL cool system. Good Luck

Have only a pair of their air mesh kevlar pants. Two years old. They are durable and tough and easy on and off. They flow air well. They are bulky, but they give me the appearance of giving good protection for that someday getoff I'm hoping against but planning for.

I've been wearing the MotoPort (now Cycleport) cordura jacket and pants for the last five years, and I'm really happy with them. Haven't crash-tested them yet (and I hope not to!). I bought mine at a MC show, so I don't have much experience in their support/customer service. I see myself as a repeat customer ...

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

I crash tested the air Kevlar pants and jacket on a track. The material is unbelievable. It is hard to detect where I slid across the pavement. The cloth portions - seam or pants - wrist - where torn but the Kevlar and armour held up great. I had to replace my boots but not my Cycleport.

I've had the Ultra II Kevlar jacket and pants for over three years now. I am very happy with them. I go to the local Laundromat to wash them armor and all.

Have been using Air Mesh Kevlar jacket and pants for a little over a year, probably 40k miles plus, from hot, humid, Charleston, SC summers to a late spring trip to AK. In fact, got back earlier today from Newfoundland, Labrador. Suit is highly protective and very versatile. To my knowledge, nothing else offers the degree of protection and comfort for really hot weather.

The fact that the rain and wind liner snaps inside the suit, like many of the BMW garments, is a mixed bag. In really hot weather, I don't use it, just let the rain blow through. In chilly or cold weather, I put it in and leave it in. In between, it's a PITA.

It took me a long time to get my suit including a couple of excuses and delays. The one time I needed some minor repairs, they were done well, priced reasonably and turned around quickly.

If I am interested in getting clothing from Cycelport, it sounds like I need to get busy and send them some measurements given the delay in getting product delivered. I was hoping for some new gear for the fall and winter riding season. Maybe Christmas will come early for me!

Archived