IGNORED

Sears Motorcycle/ATV Jack

Bear1

Has anyone used the Sears Motorcycle/ATV Jack on an 1150RT? I was thinking about purchasing the jack, but wasn't sure I could use it to lift the bike without first removing the lower portion of the tupperware from the bike.

Also, has anyone used the jack to move their bike around in the garage?

It doesn't work too well on the beemers as the engine and trans is part of the frame. The sears jack (if it's like the one I returned) are made to work on bikes that have a full frame that way there is an even surface for the jack to mate to. I tried using one with 2x4's etc and it wasn't safe. Would have worked fine on a Harley.

Ditto. Mine worked great on my Harleys...no centerstand to get in the way.

I still have it but have not needed it with the RT as the centerstand has been able to provide all hoisting duties so far. My spline lube this winter will likely have me figuring out a way to make the jack work though.

The main reason for purchasing the Sears jack was to move my bike into a tight area of the garage so I can get my two cars back indoors. Since this jack doesn't seem to fit the bill, there has to be other sources for what I am looking for.

I came across this motorcycle dolly from Merrick Machine: http://merrickmachine.com/autodolly/cycledolly.htm

Has anyone had any experience with this dolly?

Repeating what the others have said, it doesn't work. Even with the tupperware off. I bought one a year or so ago to try it with our RT, and took it back.

Same here. Received one as a gift and took it back. There's nothing on the bottom of the K100 for the jack to mate with. I would assume any bike without frame rails along the bottom would have the same issue.

The main reason for purchasing the Sears jack was to move my bike into a tight area of the garage so I can get my two cars back indoors.

Wunderlich makes a dolly that does what you want, although not real well for a big bike. Go to the BMW of Santa Cruz website, find the Wunderlich catalog for "all bikes", and look on page 19 or 20. (I can't find it in their online store, but that's where I got mine. About $200).

I have one of these. It's easy to put the F650 up on it and roll it around the garage. It's much harder to get the RT up on the center stand when it's sitting on the dolly, and hard to operate the dolly brakes (which basically just lift the whole thing) with the bike sitting on the dolly. Plus, the dolly wheels are small, which can make it rought if you have an uneven or cracked garage floor. I wouldn't want to be putting the RT on and off this on a regular basis, but to move it around occasionally in the winter, it works OK. (Tie the center stand to the front wheel so that it won't fold up if you push the bike from the back).

No, you cannot place the bike on the center stand with Merrick dolly. But again, I am looking for something to allow me to move my bike easily into an area of my garage that is tough to get into jockying the bike around. The bike will take up a little more space with this dolly than one that allows you to use the center stand, but this seems to be the most stable method to move the bike and not have to worry about the bike falling off of the dolly.

I must be doing something wrong! First, let me say wrenching ain't my thing - tests say I have the aptitude, I just don't have the interest. I used the Sears Motorcycle/ATV Jack with my RT and thought it worked fine after I got it positioned right. With the lower fairing removed and the jack rails well forward, no problem.

Please don't anybody tell me what I did wrong or why it doesn't work - I need to do it again soon!

I was looking for something where I could move my RT without taking off the lower fairing. It appears that a dolly of some sort is the only way to go without going through the extra step of removing the lower fairing. Since I will be doing this everytime I ride the bike, I really don't want the added step of removing the fairing to be able to move the bike into her parking spot in the garage.

I don't know exactly WHERE you want to put your bike, but I solved my problem on my ex-house by backing up the bike with the garage wall to its right, and using a piece of wood to leave it almost vertical against the wall. Once I got used to it, it took a few minutes of maneuvering, but I did achieve exactly the goal you're after: my 'nice' car inside the garage.

I can jockey the bike into the spot in the garage where I want to store it. It just takes several minutes of effort. I was looking for something that would make the process a little easier and quicker, both in parking the bike and getting it out when I want to ride.

Archived