IGNORED

Will I lose my skill??

motorman587

I am leaving the motor unit in mid January. Long story as to why and how I feel about it, anyway, we trained once a month did about 2 rodeo's a year and rode pretty much everyday.

What can I expect to lose on the skill level?? Anything?? I have seen guys that have left the motor unit come back, but never really become the same as they left, but then again, they became supervisors and never rode everyday.

I am sure I will loose something.

I'm in the second, semi-retired year of my third motor tour since 1989. About a 5 year absence back to patrol each time. Each tour was four years long. Like riding a bicycle, you never lose your skills.

At my age, I'm more worried about memory loss than skill loss.

John,

I can truly say that I don't think you'll loose much. Based on knowing you as long as I have known you, I truly believe that you'll find a way to keep sharp. Besides, you're the best motor instructor I've ever known, period.

The only thing you'll lose is the headaches of being on call!

I wouldn't worry about it too much John. Sometimes I'm off my motor more than a month at a time and never ride on a daily basis. I can still compete without embarrassing myself too bad; and, in general hold my own with any training or special details. When I ride in the really tight exercises it sometimes takes me a few attempts to get comfortable tossing the bike around again, but it comes back pretty quickly. I ride my personal bike more than I do my work bike. I guess it just helps that you ride something as the techniques you employ never really change.

You'll be fine. :thumbsup:

John, Northeast Florida

I somehow think you know the answer to that already John. The skills you've acquired and honed are as a fellow motorman said, "Are perishable..." Tho', my guess is that while your skills may perish relative to the competition, compared to the average rider, likely hardly noticeable. Hope that the change is for the good, good luck.

Yes.

It happens.

No matter what you do as a civilian you can't match the training you do at work.

But, we'll still ride with you so there is an upside.

:rofl:

Yup, you will start dropping the moto in your garage. What a shame. :rofl:

See you in cedar key...with your damaged bike. :wave:

In my experience, not riding every day does not effect your bike handling near as much as it does your 6th sense (Or "Spidy sense) about who is going to do something dumb and when.

It is easy to keep the rust knocked off your ability to handle the bike......Second guessing dumb @$$ed drivers is another thing entirely.

While you question was specific to your motor work, in a more generalized, but yet applicable sense; the answer has to be yes. All learned activities have a certain amount of expertise lose when not engaged in consistently. Be it riding a motor, bowling, playing the piano, or anything.

The issue is one of degree. Will you forget how to ride? No. But will you forget how to ride exactly as well as you do now? Absolutely. Any of us who get back on a bike after a long (e.g. a winter in Canada!) break and think we are as sharp as we were xx months ago, are doing a disservice (at best ) to ourselves in our grandiose naivety.

I'm not a motor officer, but I did ride every day to work for many years. Then we moved, and I switched to a pickup truck for my weekend commute to/from the big city. And then we almost lost our "new" house to a raging river. So, the bikes got sent to storage, and I didn't ride for over a year. I was concerned about my skills getting rusty.

But, when I got things squared away and the bikes available to ride, I found that my control skills hadn't degraded much. But my mental skills had switched to "pickup truck driver." I had to scramble to remember all the dumb stuff drivers do to motorcyclists, and relearn what to watch for.

I've also discovered that as I have aged, my concerns about motorcycling have changed--along with degradation of vision, muscle control, bladder capacity, knee and ankle joints, etc. I realize that I'm no longer physically able to do what I used to do, but more importantly, I'm no longer concerned about how I look to others.

pmdave

Contact me 4 motor training (one on one)

Better not loose your skills... :grin:

This is a case of "I wish I knew 1/2 of what he forgot"

Relax John... Tim and Pete will keeps the skills up

Thanks for the replies, guess I was looking for a pity party.............

Like I always told my kids, if you wanted sympathy, you should have brought it with you.

Thanks for the replies, guess I was looking for a pity party.............

Like I always told my kids, if you wanted sympathy, you should have brought it with you.

Ya, I know, but some the responses were postive..........thanks

Sorry to hear, but ditto what the others have said. You do have some control over how much you train, except you won't get paid to do it. Then again it's not about the pay so I suspect you'll still be riding, it's not like someone took away ALL of your motorcycles!

Good luck

Kevin

Sorry to hear, but ditto what the others have said. You do have some control over how much you train, except you won't get paid to do it. Then again it's not about the pay so I suspect you'll still be riding, it's not like someone took away ALL of your motorcycles!

Good luck

Kevin

That is very true, and there will be events that I can go and meet my FRIENDS, right?? Like I said earlier, just was little down when I posted, but some of the responses were a sprit lifter, like yours. Thanks

ShovelStrokeEd

Late to the pity party here but, John, really?

You have spent a bunch of years developing your skill set and no, it won't go away just cause your not riding on a daily basis or training as vigorously as before. I would venture that there will be a little dulling of the fine edge but, I'll bet you get almost all of it back within a 1/2 day's riding at most.

It took me about a week to get most of the little I had back after 9 months of not touching a motorcycle. You, starting at a higher level, should have no problem if you ride even occasionally.

Did you practice with your service issue yesterday? Last week? Even though you don't empty a few clips every day doesn't mean you lose your skills.

You'll still be riding more often than not. And you can practice motor skills anytime you want.

Here's a question. Even though you won't be a "motor" officer, why can't you still compete in the rodeos?

Oh, no pity here if you drop your bike at Cedar Key. A clear sign that you've lost "it".

Just ask Calvin. :grin:

Here's a question. Even though you won't be a "motor" officer, why can't you still compete in the rodeos?

City does not allow part time riders, so I can not use a city bike. I am though, trying to get someone, to let me borrow a RTP. Well see how that one goes.

You guys have lifted my sprits. Will I have to change my username?? Patrolman587??? Or ex-motorman587??? Lostmyskills587??? Just wondering.

Here's my experience with this issue.

I remember reading that a while ago, which brings up a good point. Am I really going to miss the heat, rain, lack of equipment, ie computer to do your job, the anger driver after they get that $200 dollar ticket............hmmmmmmmmm??

Am I really going to miss the heat, rain, lack of equipment, ie computer to do your job, the anger driver after they get that $200 dollar ticket............hmmmmmmmmm??

There you go, let the rookies handle that (just as you did when you didn't have any whiskers).

An now that you aren't on the motor all day, you might even find a new level of enjoyment and thrill while riding your personal bikes.

John,

I can't stand it and I know I'm being rude for prying but??? Using other's experience helps when I find myself at that particular crossroads. I've skipped the Sgt's test several times because I don't want to go, plus the pay increase in that job just isn't worth the stress and my health. I started late in life with my litte girl and I want to be around for her instead of having a heart attack. (She just jumped onto my lap to say good-bye) : ) That's why I work so hard!!!!

John,

I can't stand it and I know I'm being rude for prying but??? Using other's experience helps when I find myself at that particular crossroads. I've skipped the Sgt's test several times because I don't want to go, plus the pay increase in that job just isn't worth the stress and my health. I started late in life with my litte girl and I want to be around for her instead of having a heart attack. (She just jumped onto my lap to say good-bye) : ) That's why I work so hard!!!!

Funny, that you posted this. I took the last test, failed it, did not study. Maybe I "really" did not want to pass it, just as you mentioned as above. Will take the test again, will not study. If I pass then I passed.

Did you practice with your service issue yesterday? Last week? Even though you don't empty a few clips every day doesn't mean you lose your skills.

You'll still be riding more often than not. And you can practice motor skills anytime you want.

Oh, no pity here if you drop your bike at Cedar Key. A clear sign that you've lost "it".

Just ask Calvin. :grin:

It wasn't John who dropped his.

They shall remain nameless.

For now...

:lurk:

I'm going to disagree with many here that say there's no degredation in skills. There WILL BE some loss of skill and timing, and here's my reasoning;

We're taught in the BRC and I think we all recognize that motorcycling is a learned "motor skill" that we develop, much like throwing a football, swinging a golf club or skiing. Here's a question to ask yourself; what sport did you play as a younger adult (you pick it) that you haven't done in years? I played basketball through college and could shoot 50 free throws without a miss. I haven't shot a free throw in 10 years probably. How many could I hit now? Why not?

Another example is at the track. Even after a short layoff, my timing is off. I get a kick out of the first track day in the spring where guys are running off the track and low-siding all over the place. They usually blame it on the still cool surface or tires that have gotten a little hard. Neither is true; they've lost a little memory.

The other thing that we know about motor skills is that unless there's some type of traumatic event that causes a degredation in brain function, you can restore those skills again quickly. While the skills are perishable, they are also restorable.

Just my .02 cents...

Archived