IGNORED

I-40 slide

SC_SVRider

Yeah, that's just 25 minutes from my house and is going to interfere with my eastward excursions. I am still a bit puzzled as to why they anticipate months for clean up and repairs. This is a MAJOR artery. Why can't they just get some crews and heavy equipment in there, tow the debris away and resurface the road if need be. I know they are going to have to stabilize the adjacent hillside, but does that take months???

Jay

Yeah, that's just 25 minutes from my house and is going to interfere with my eastward excursions. I am still a bit puzzled as to why they anticipate months for clean up and repairs. This is a MAJOR artery. Why can't they just get some crews and heavy equipment in there, tow the debris away and resurface the road if need be. I know they are going to have to stabilize the adjacent hillside, but does that take months???

Jay

I agree. Near my town they built up a 1/2 mile stretch of road by about 5 feet to keep a bridge open during a flood. It took about 5 days to construct it and 2 weeks to cart it out.

How many miles are blocked and how deep is it? Maybe the engineering evaluation is holding things up. Htye may also need to repair the guard rails and reenforce the hillside.

I saw some pictures on the Weather Channel last night, there are some house sized boulders in the road. They also mentioned that they anticipate it being closed for at least a month!

Archived