IGNORED

For owners of BLACK BMW motorcycles

OldBoy99

Hi all,

I've never owned a black vehicle of any kind so I'm looking for some advice.....

I've read on some Harley forums that black paint looks great and of course is the "fastest color", but also shows dirt the fastest/worst and is prone to getting the dreaded "swirl marks" from cleaning/waxing.

Does this also apply to the BMW black paint? What is your technique for caring for your black bike, i.e. what product(s) do you use and what special techniques do you use (if any) to prevent swirl marks in the paint?

Thanks grin.gif

Here's a tip I got from a professional car detailer:

NEVER apply or remove wax in a circular motion. ALWAYS apply and remove wax horizontally (straight line).

This method is a little more time consuming but it does work.

My R1200CM is black as are most of the cars I've owned, yes they are gorgeous when cleaned and shiny, yes they are harder to keep clean. Agree with cleaning, drying and waxing in one direction (long axis of the vehicle). My combo is 3M Imperial hand glaze and P21S or 1 Grand wax. BTW I have had excellent service from car care specialties (carcareonline.com)for cleaning/waxing products. Cleaning and waxing is my favorite stress reducing activity. Enjoy

I got silver for my RT because it was bought as a winter bike and is seldom cleaned.

I put German made Klasse stuff on my other European bike because it does a great job on black using back and forth strokes only.

This all assumes you wash your bike. I try not to do that very often, 'cause it takes up time I could be smashing bugs onto the front surfaces by riding the bike. Smashed bugs look good on a black bike.

But every so often I spray the dirtiest areas with some S2000, put a little Ajax dish detergent in a bucket, grab a sponge, and give her a little sudsy bath bath, hose her off, followed by a chamois wipe down. If I had to pay attention to HOW I did this, I'd never do it.

...put a little Ajax dish detergent in a bucket...

Dish detergent is not good for washing vehicles. It's too strong and strips the wax from the paint. It may be OK for the other parts of the bike, though.

My GS is black. I give the painted surfaces an occasional wipe with a wet rag and wipe them dry with another rag. It is not worth my time to clean all the nooks and crannies on the GS. I have not waxed it yet (after 14,000 miles.)

Just wondering about the statement of uni direction, if one direction is better why does every bottle, jar and can of wax (at least that I have seen) say to do it in a circular motion?

Archived