IGNORED

ATGATT works- I found out the hard way (lots of pics)

outpost22

Yes we hear it countless times here about the necessity of wearing all the gear. Well yesterday I proved everyone's point.

Had been having a great ride on the F650. About 60 miles of asphalt and 90 miles of Forest Service roads doing some late season scouting for bow hunting next month. It had rained off and on when I was in the mountains. After heading home it started to sprinkle fairly lightly. I reduced speed just like any other days ride when the rain starts.

The road is posted at 45 mph. Most folks drive 55 mph on it. I came up to a curve at the end of a long straight away and reduced to 35 mph. Usually I take this corner at 45 in the car. There is a new asphalt patch in this turn about 50 feet long. As I motored through, I felt the tires break loose (just like hitting ice) and the rear tire was definitely going to slide out and low side me. My immediate reaction was a counter steer as I've done 10,000 times off road riding over the last 30 years. By then my speed was down to an estimated (guess) 20 mph when the rear tire regained immediate traction and high sided me into a head and shoulder plant. Luckily I wear a full face helmet, otherwise the results would be ugly (right Ed?). I hit hardest on my right shoulder, then right side of helmet, rolled once and hit the left shoulder and left side of the helmet. When all the fuss was over, I checked all my parts and pieces, walked to the bike which was in the right hand gravel shoulder with the engine running. I shut it off and a good samaritan helped me push it off over into a siding.

I called my wife and she came with our trailer and picked me up. As a precaution, we went to the doctor's office to have my noggin checked. All was fine. Besides being very stiff and sore, I had one small contusion on my wrist. My brand new Fieldshear jacket is totaled. The fabric wore through down to the shoulder pads on each side. My Hein Garrick overpants showed virtually no damage and my Prexus riding boots were scuffed. I was wearing Olympia Wind-tex gloves and they looked unscratched.

The GIVI V46 had lots of gear in it, but it didn't pop open, but had its trim broken off and broke a hinge. It most likely saved a lot of the rear end of the bike from damage as it took most of the blow at that end.

My Garmin GPS was wasted, but it actually still turns on. The buttons are ground down to nothing, and the screen is scratched.

The Cee Baileys snapped like a pretzel.

The Hepco & Becker crash bars took a grinding, but saved the side of the bike except for the footpeg bracket. Handlebars are tweaked, front fender and turn signal are toast.

Hopefully there is no steering stem or frame damage. I am taking it to my dealer today for a repair estimate.

dsc00003_1256399484.jpg

dsc00005.jpg

dsc00007_1256399489.jpg

dsc00008.jpg

dsc00010_1256399493.jpg

dsc00014.jpg

The GPS still works!

dsc00015.jpg

dsc00017.jpg

dsc00018.jpg

dsc00021.jpg

ShovelStrokeEd

Ouch! Glad you are OK. Yup, I can vouch for the gear. It did its job, sacrificed itself to save you.

Dare I say the damage to the bike will Buff right out?

Good news / bad news, but at least all the bad news is fixable.

Stories like this keep me wearing all my gear, even at times when I'm feeling lazy.

Glad you came out OK. Sorry about the bike (and gear) :( but glad the gear did its job.

Ayup. Crashing sucks. I can't imagine how I'd feel right now if I hadn't been in all my gear when I crashed my bike.

Glad you aren't busted up worse.

Tha sucks. Glad your OK. Sounds like the lowside woudl have been better.

Well, actually a low side probably could have been a lot worse as I would have slid into oncoming traffic. The face plant/high side halted most of the forward momentum :dopeslap:

Thanks for the well wishes people. Just repeating another ATGATT story. SO LISTEN UP :D

I still can't believe all that I have externally is one small pea sized raspberry on my right hand and wrist. I get bigger welts just bumping into things in the garage! Internally, I feel like a big bruise.

Archived