IGNORED

R12RT 1 vs Deer 0

Kitsap

It's dark and foggy out, early too. Around 4:30 this morning a young deer decided to see why the chicken crossed the road. The deer has no imagination left and my ride is missing a whole lot of plastic below the headlight. The lower fairing has been splintered with pieces pushes through the right upper fairing and right hand gas tank cover. I kept the bike up and finished my ride to work. Just got off the phone with the insurance agent and got my claim number. It's a bummer but at least I kept it up and have no damage to self. It's still pitch black out to take decent pictures, will post some later.

Ride safe folks.

Glad you're OK Wade! Bummer!!

Leave the fur on the bike and leave any critter remnants!!!! Take pictures galore. Comp vs. Collision claim!!

Calvin  (no socks)

Wade, glad you are ok.

Did you see it before impact? I love to travel very early and I have seen more than my share of deer/critters. I wonder if I'll hear the bullet,(insert critter) or just deal with it when it happens... :thumbsup:

Sorry about the bike, glad you're OK.

Isn't it amazing that the bike stays upright? I have heard of this same events before.

Riding this past Saturday we saw a bunch of deer, be careful, I think we'll have a lot of critters this winter.

Good you rode it out and are OK.

Same thing happened to me a few years back with my R1100RT. Except it was a buck that pushed the antler into the oil cooler. End of ride.

Well that is too bad about your bike, Wade. I'm bummed to hear it. And I'm quite happy you were able to save the ride and yourself. Good job man! Hope it's all fixed in no time flat.

Why hasn't the deer evolved in the past 100 years to know that a bike/car/truck will tear it apart? Isn't there some pill we can give them for that? A DNA enhancer? Something?

Even squirrels recognize the danger! Dopey deer run smack into you!

Hi Wade, I had a similar experience just this side of Sequim a couple of years ago. Do take pictures of any fur on the bike - insurance companies sometimes want proof of an actual deer strike (comprehensive coverage - no fault - no premium increase) versus loosing control trying to avoid a dear (collision - you're at fault - premium increases).

There is a window in our upstairs hallway that overlooks the driveway. Every morning I look out this window to assess what the morning commute will be like. This morning the driveway was bathed in diffused light from either side of the garage but it was dry. For a moment I thought of the pleasure of using my cup holder, my 2000+ lb cup holder, complete with heated seats and surround sound. Nope, the bike would be the choice.

Now I’m tooling down the road, the combination of dark and fog has me a little on edge. I’m alert. In fact I expect to see deer, I know something is going to happen, I can feel IT. I’ve been progressing along at around 50mph; there are no other vehicles in my vicinity except for a pair of headlights that have been slowly growing in my rear view mirrors. Within a blink of an eye of the large silhouette appearing and then disappearing I’m on the brakes. I’m slowing down awaiting the second dear that surely must be following. It’s at this time I realize that I’m completely lit up from behind; my mirrors are filled with light. A small dear darts from right to left in the same direction as the one prior. I’m doing approximately 40mph and have no idea how close the vehicle behind me is. I know I’m going to hit this creature and intuitively brace my arms and crouch. I can’t recall seeing the impact but do remember the sound of a solid, meaty thud followed by small rattling sounds. The bike remained upright and straight. All this time the vehicle behind me is still there, my mirrors filled with its light. I pulled over a few moments later at the next cross road where I could check for damage under the light. The following vehicle had its own agenda to stick to, bastard. I can see no leaks but do note there is lots of damage to the body work. I decide to ride onto the ferry and go to work. All the BMW dealers are on my work side of the water so the closer the better.

Since arriving to work I’ve e-mailed a few friends to see if they can get a picture of the deer and/or impact area. Just informed by a buddy he got the pic and will be e-mailing it later.

Thanks all for the kind words. I’m thankful.

687053222_W8LCR-M.jpg

687053249_8R5v6-M.jpg

687053284_pNXys-M.jpg

687055629_GSFoR-M.jpg

687053309_6qFrK-M.jpg

687053333_qYh95-M.jpg

deer poop

687055611_zbFRr-M.jpg

OUCH! Nice job of handling the deer strike! Glad you made it through the ordeal ok and the knucklehead behind you didn't run over you.

Nice job handling the whole thing Wade ... I only hope I'll be as prepared and able to keep the bike upright WHEN it happens ... no such thing as "if" probably.....

Glad your OK. How did you ever keep your composure and keep the bike straight up during and after the impact. I think that's kind of amazing.

Close call.... i saw a young buck get hit on the way to Payson via SR 87 the other day. Made a mess out of the small car and of course the deer. They are unpredictable for sure.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Whew! I was worried there for a second.

Glad you're okay... the plastic can be replaced (as can the deer I suppose.)

Thanks all. This may sound odd but I feel for the animal, at least it went quick. My work partner named the bike The Bambinator :P

The plastic bits and pieces can be seen strewn along the shoulder. A quarter piece of the kidney shaped grill can be seen just beyond the body.

687678881_UxVKs-M.jpg

687678918_cRAeo-M.jpg

Good to hear you made out OK Wade..

You have a tough commute there, what with the weather and critters.

Don't be surprised to find out all that tupperware will run close to 3 grand.

BTW, get a loaner, with a big grill on the front.... :grin:

MB>

Is that deer sticking its tongue out at you? The nerve.

The last great act of defiance :dopeslap:

MB called it...the shop just called and said it would just North of $3500. No damage to the suspension, that was my big worry after what happened to my prior ride. I seem to have issues with ponderous critters that get in my way, first the wayward HD and now this. So in short the Bambinator gets new clothes.

Might be some good steaks on one side of that critter. Looks like 1 rear legs is not longer facing the correct direction.

Nie job keeping it upright. They tell motorists not to swerve and only brake in a stright line. Most injuries from deer collision are from the vehcile leaving the roadway or losing control. If figure if you hit it square and kept the bars stright, you have a good chance of riding over it or deflecting it to one side after impact.

In my only 2 clsoe calls wiht deer, I had time to slow to a near standstill before impact. On hte other, I swearved onto the shoulder, to prevent the deer from impacting the side of my car. but kept the car under control. If I had seen it sooner and braked, I probably would have hit it rather than just miss it. Sometimes it's all about timing.

The oil ccoler is a little exposed in the case of a deer collision. But its probably better than having a big radiator out front.

Dick Rothermel

Kitsap: For what it's worth. Four years ago I was nearly killed when a deer ran out in front of me at 75MPH. I was completely upright and had no time to brake. Thankfully I was riding an LT at the time. I was nearly killed. Ruptured spleen, eight broken ribs, broken shoulder, broken collarbone and a broken right foot. In ICU for three days and a total of two weeks in the hospital. The accident was totally my fault. I knew better than to be out after dark on two wheels during the rut. Lesson learned for me, fortunately. You should consider driving the cage to work, especially during the months of Oct and Nov. There's only one thing that you can predict about deer during the rut, even more so than the rest of the year....and that is that they will be totally unpredictable. Take it from someone that was not nearly as fortunate as you! My two cents. Dick

I guess that it's a good thing that you hit the deer instead of going off the road and hitting a tree trying to avoid it. No need to prove that the accident was not your fault.

Glad you're okay. Guess the deer didn't have insurance.

--

Saw one come out of the tree lined field just last Saturday when some buddies and I were doing a cemetery run. He came running out toward me and as he approached the pavement, he made a 180 and ran in the other direction. He was with 50 yards of me before I even saw him. Wouldn't that have been ironic.

This a small Florida deer, about the size of a Great Dane but, they freak me out.

I guess that's why I prefer 4 lane highways instead of 2 lane rural roads.

Glad you're ok.

"I guess that's why I prefer 4 lane highways instead of 2 lane rural roads."

I have seen deer often on different Interstates and dead bodies all the time, and you hit them at much higher speed. In day time you have a better chance to see them, but a night you almost can't.

First deer I ever hit was on an Interstate.

Early afternoon, in Pa., large fences that the deer just leapt over along the boundary of the right of way.

Second one hit me, 2 lane, ohdarkthirty, going to work.

I've had 'em do a 180 right in front of me, literally w/in 3 feet.

I've seen them jump over the rider ahead of me, between me and the rider behind, uphill going downhill and vice versa.

They are psychotic rodents who should all end up as dinner.

Venison, the only good thing about a deer.

My deer collision was at 12:45 on a brilliant sunny day in October (rutting season). I agree about them being forest vermin.

There is a story that ranger Rathur Woody's father killed the last deer in the north GA mountains at the turn of the 20th century. Ranger Woody felt so bad about it that he imported several breeding pairs from North Carolina. Now we're stuck with them.

I can still picture the deer's head within touching distance of my right knee while riding my Suzuki GS1000 at dusk, doing about 80k 23 years ago.

The deer came out of the right hand ditch and somehow or other, managed to stop or swerve or some other way ended up going across the road behind my bike...never even touched it. I know I was really lucky, but I will never get that image out of my brain.

Glad that you survived that one (and Bambi didn't). A bike is incredibly stable, as long as you don't take a lateral hit to the front wheel.

.... I knew better than to be out after dark on two wheels during the rut. Lesson learned for me, fortunately. You should consider driving the cage to work, especially during the months of Oct and Nov. There's only one thing that you can predict about deer during the rut, even more so than the rest of the year....and that is that they will be totally unpredictable. Take it from someone that was not nearly as fortunate as you! My two cents. Dick

This man speaks the truth. If you live/ride in deer country, you should leave the bike parked between the hours of 4pm and 9am, especially during the fall rut. Over my lifetime I've hit six (three on a motorcycle) and all of them were between these hours and in the fall. Half of them ran into the side of my bike/car.

Not much you can do about them - they're kinda like a road lottery. So at least arm yourself by knowing the odds (the stats are about the same for every northern state):

9cf.jpg

b2a.jpg

Looks to me like the frequency increases with number of cars on the road as well as poor visability (darkness).

---

Certainly agree with the first part (you should normalize the numbers for traffic volume), but on the second part.... are you implying that the number of deer roaming the roadways is relatively constant, and that drivers are just more successful at dodging them during the daylight hours?

I read it simply as deer are nocturnal animals that start coming out at dusk and start going back into hiding at dawn, with peak deer strike risk halfway between the dusk and dawn (unscientifically adjusted for traffic volume, of course).

I read it simply as deer are nocturnal animals that start coming out at dusk and start going back into hiding at dawn, with peak deer strike risk halfway between the dusk and dawn (unscientifically adjusted for traffic volume, of course).

I'm not sure deer are really nocuturnal, but they usually lay up in the middle of the day. I'm guessing that it's because they're too easy for preditors to see and show up when the light dims at the edges of roads where the grazing is good. Whenever I see a deer, even off in an empty field, I go into potential strike mode and full alert looking for more. At night, I don't see deer outside of the headlight beam and don't go into full avoidance alert as often. Again, I'm just generalizing and not allowing for rutting season putting the deer on the road at all hours this time of year.

Archived