IGNORED

Mirror Rescue Wire installation question.

chrisz

Hi,

I've made my own Mirror Rescue Wire but can't find a place where to attach them to the mirrors confused.gif The body part is easy, but nothing seems to be available as an attachment point. Do I have to drill a hole in the plastic?

Chris...

Do you think that the plastic where you drilled and attached the wire would hold up if the mirror was knocked off its perch? I'm worried that the plastic would just break off at the wire.

I don't know how you made your wire, but I just use about a 9" fishing leader. To attach to the mirror, I just unscrew one of the Torx screws on the "inside" of the mirror and screw it through the eye loop of the leader. I'm pretty sure it'll hold, but so far haven't tested it (knock on wood). tongue.gif

Three torx screws attach the black inner frame to the painted outer shell. One of the screws threads into a post, around which you attach the rescue wire. It is necessary to remove all three torx screws so you can separate the inner frame from the outer shell, just enough to slide the rescue wire loop over the post.

Having bumped my mirrors off a few times by accident, those wires have paid for themselves multiple times over.

There is a flange area on the black ABS that is plenty beefy enough for the attachment point. It is really the only place to drill a small hole. No disassembly required and I am sure plenty strong enough to hold the mirror should it get knocked off. This has worked for me thus far.

Archived