IGNORED

Saving a battery ?

FREEBEE

My battery gave up, as a result of negligence.

I purchased this bike (08-06 05)with 8,100MI. from the original owner.

The 6K service was done on time, date??

I attempted to check the electrolyte level with a flashlight/rocking side to side, and never really got a good view of the level.

There are no leaks in the case, the vent hose was hooked up correctly and I noticed no electrolyte leaking via the hose.

After I pulled the battery this is what I discovered:

P3300002.jpg

I wonder how long it took to lose this much fluid?

I wonder If it was checked as part of the 6K service?

Is it worth trying to revive it? I have already purchased and installed a new unit(Gel).

I realize in hindsight, I should have pulled it and been sure the level was good.

I assumed the 6K service was preformed properly or at least the prior owner had checked it occasionally.

Well as the saying goes..When you AssUme bncry.gif

I guess there is an advantage to winter.

I remove my battery every November, clean it, top it up with distilled water, monitor the voltage and charge it on the bench monthly.

Bonus: I get 8 full years out of them.

You can add distilled water to your old battery and try slow charging it. I'm assuming the electrolyte level dropped due to evaporation and not a tip over.

Lightning screwed up the circuit in my Battery Tender and it cooked my battery dry, after it failed to start I pulled the battery and found it dry, added water and it restarted immediately, and has been working fine since. I assume that I have lost some storage capacity, but so far so good.

I have had both experiences. The one where you just add water and it works is I consider a bouns year or two. The one where no matter what you do it won't even light the clock is a learning experience. At this point what have you got to loose, give it a try, if it works great, if not, you have already replaced it.

My battery gave up, as a result of negligence.

I purchased this bike (08-06 05)with 8,100MI. from the original owner.

The 6K service was done on time, date??

I attempted to check the electrolyte level with a flashlight/rocking side to side, and never really got a good view of the level.

There are no leaks in the case, the vent hose was hooked up correctly and I noticed no electrolyte leaking via the hose.

After I pulled the battery this is what I discovered:

P3300002.jpg

I wonder how long it took to lose this much fluid?

I wonder If it was checked as part of the 6K service?

Is it worth trying to revive it? I have already purchased and installed a new unit(Gel).

I realize in hindsight, I should have pulled it and been sure the level was good.

I assumed the 6K service was preformed properly or at least the prior owner had checked it occasionally.

Well as the saying goes..When you AssUme bncry.gif

It's a shame you don't live closer to me here in Chicago....I have a genuine "wet cell" BMW battery out of an '02RT (silver if that matters...hehehe) sitting here on my bench hooked up to a Batt Tender in good shape (doing me no good)... you can have for free... crazy.gif

It's a shame you don't live closer to me here in Chicago....I have a genuine "wet cell" BMW battery out of an '02RT (silver if that matters...hehehe) sitting here on my bench hooked up to a Batt Tender in good shape (doing me no good)... you can have for free...

Thanks for the offer!!! thumbsup.gif

I am from Chicago, in fact 41 years worth including an exile to the suburbs in the 1970's.

Born and raised in "Beverly" (103rd Kedzie)

We moved to Texas in 2001.

Thanks again "Neighbor" confused.gif

Archived