IGNORED

Rider Performance University Report

JayW

I took the MOA-sponsored on-road course today at the BMW facility in Greer SC and had a ball. There were about a dozen students and 4 very well-qualified instructors. It was over 4 hours of instruction which included 2 short breaks. I was impressed with the facility. The course itself had a similiar format to the ERC, but was held on a small track and the exercises were more comprehensive. They put us through a series of lessons that covered the basics of body positioning, balance, cone weaves, sharp turns, riding over boards, control inputs, emergency stops and swerving. At the end of the day they combined them all into some good-natured competiton with a cone coarse that we all got to practice once, then did twice more while being timed. I came in third behind 2 clearly superior riders that made it look easy. It was well-worth the money and I came away with some sharpened skills.

Tomorrow morning I go back for the "Seasoned Rider Course", which I think is just classoroom work. I'm just a young fella and don't really qualify to attend, but am going to dye some gray streaks into my hair and try to sneak in. :/

Jay

It has been nearly impossible for me to get a word in edgewise on this thread, but I am elbowing my way back in now to provide a summary of my second day.

The Seasoned Rider Course, which is designed to teach how aging affects our ability to ride safely, was all classroom work and I can't say that I heard too much new information. Maybe my medical background gave me an edge. I then spent about 40 minutes with the Honda Trainer, which I thought was pretty cool. You sit on it and have at your command all the usual controls of a standard motorcycle. You watch a screen and navigate through one of several dozen "rides". You may choose an urban route, or suburban, touring, etc. The computer presents hazards to you while you ride and grades you on how well you anticipate and handle them. The hazards were realistic, real world challenges. I understand the MOA is considering purchasing one of units, which I would support. Of course the unit does not lean or countersteer. I'd recommend trying it if you ever have the opportunity.

Jay

Thanks for the report on the riding school in Greer. I wanted to attend but couldnt get away this time of year. I am glad to know it was worth the trip.

I do not think this is a hijack, but I too attended the RPU and had a blast. We were told that "on road course" was just a fraction of the 8 hour block. It is more in depth we were told.

They also have the off road course, which can be a 8 hour day or a two day, or the three day.

Did the museum and factory tour which was very interesting. All the X5 and X6s are made there world wide. They work in 10 hour shifts with 4 doing maintenance.

Being a motor cop, RiderCoach this worth the trip and time. I am planing to attend this next year.

4684.jpg.9bfa38d68d27b16b87a8b63285699da9.jpg

I took the MOA-sponsored on-road course today at the BMW facility in Greer SC and had a ball. There were about a dozen students and 4 very well-qualified instructors. It was over 4 hours of instruction which included 2 short breaks. I was impressed with the facility. The course itself had a similiar format to the ERC, but was held on a small track and the exercises were more comprehensive. They put us through a series of lessons that covered the basics of body positioning, balance, cone weaves, sharp turns, riding over boards, control inputs, emergency stops and swerving. At the end of the day they combined them all into some good-natured competiton with a cone coarse that we all got to practice once, then did twice more while being timed. I came in third behind 2 clearly superior riders that made it look easy. It was well-worth the money and I came away with some sharpened skills.

Tomorrow morning I go back for the "Seasoned Rider Course", which I think is just classoroom work. I'm just a young fella and don't really qualify to attend, but am going to dye some gray streaks into my hair and try to sneak in. :/

Jay

What were the two "2 clearly superior riders" on??? :dopeslap:

What were the two "2 clearly superior riders" on???

As I recall, they were both on LTs, one that looked new and the other at least several years old with aftermarket pipes. Some of the riders admitted that they were afraid of dropping their bikes on the timed trials and so deliberately took their time. I am way too competitive for that approach.

They did have one funky portion of the timed trial where we had to pick up a small cone from off the top of a larger one on our left and transfer it to another large cone about 12 feet ahead but on the right. That was a very clunky assignment and I am still not sure what it was supposed to teach us (maybe how to text while riding?)

All the students were on BMWs of course, and all seemed quite experienced and competent. It was a fun group.

Jay

sssssssssssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!! Nobody tell Jay, I was one of the guys on the LT. ;)

Aha! I heard that. That must have been your '99 LT with the aftermarket pipe then?

No fair!! No wonder I didn't win! :dopeslap: That was some impressive riding out there, Motorman. If I can eventually even approach your level of smoothness, precision, accuracy and confidence, then I'll be satisfied.

Next time I'll introduce myself earlier.

Jay

sssssssssssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!! Nobody tell Jay, I was one of the guys on the LT. ;)

Aha! I heard that. That must have been your '99 LT with the aftermarket pipe then?

No fair!! No wonder I didn't win! :dopeslap: That was some impressive riding out there, Motorman. If I can eventually even approach your level of smoothness, precision, accuracy and confidence, then I'll be satisfied.

Next time I'll introduce myself earlier.

Jay

Haha, next year I plan on taking the RT. Will keep the saddlebags on for a handicapp.

It has been nearly impossible for me to get a word in edgewise on this thread, but I am elbowing my way back in now to provide a summary of my second day.

Well, I'm glad you were able to wedge yourself back in! :rofl: Thanks for your assessment, and John's follow-up. It sounds like it was worthwhile. I think I would be among those concerned about dropping the bike.

Well, I'm glad you were able to wedge yourself back in! :rofl: Thanks for your assessment, and John's follow-up. It sounds like it was worthwhile. I think I would be among those concerned about dropping the bike.

They had two courses set up. One large and one small. I only saw two people drop their bikes and one was on the small exercise, which the rider choises, on a slight incline, and the other was at the challenge ride, where the rider was attempting to move a small cone to another. It is real up to you.

Archived