IGNORED

cold starting

RapidDog

Weather is cooling a bit.

I've just done my 6K valves/TB synch and the bike has run fine.

Mornings now it's getting a bit cold blooded to start, like it's not getting enough fuel.

(note: I have a Remus and power commander installed by SJBMW.)

It's always started easy, without any extra throttle and needs a little warm up.

However, the warm-up "choke" hardly works at all since the tune-up.

Maybe I need to re-do the throttle cables/synch?

ShovelStrokeEd

Maybe I need to re-do the throttle cables/synch?

Yep, this time with less slack in the throttle cables at the throttle bodies. There are three slack adjustments you need to attend to and the order is important.

First back off (actually screw in) the slack adjuster under the throttle assembly.

Second, do the same with the cable adjuster under the left switch gear.

Now do your throttle synch with an eye towards only enough slack to be sure the throttle blade stops are hitting and remaining on their seats.

Now adjust the throttle grip free play to just the right amount for your tastes by using the adjuster under the throttle side switch gear.

Now adjust the free play at the fast idle lever such that there is a barely detectable amount of free play. A quick guideline, with the motor warmed up, the fast idle lever should give between 1900 and 2300 RPM at the first notch.

ShovelStrokeEd

There is a cable adjuster for the throttle cable located under your switches on the right bar. Actually, its kinda under your master cylinder.

Archived