IGNORED

Center stand snapped...Suggestions

beemerman2k

Today, as I attempted to place my bike on the center stand, it snapped in two and I almost dropped the bike. I was on the left side and the bike wanted to fall to the right. Dogged determination and some serious prayers kept it from going over.

So what are my options with this broken center stand? Take it to a machinist and have it welded? Buy a new/used one? What say you O group of collective BMW motorcycling wisdom? I fall face down at thine magnificence! tongue.gif

Beemerman:

Maybe you can have a sleeve welded inside the leg, and splice it that way. Or there is probably clearance enough to plate the sides of the splice (or use small angles). By the time all of this is done, you may as well buy a new one I suppose!

Bob

dopeslap.gif

I snapped mine a while back in Flagstaff. Bottom line, it still works. If you just snapped off the foot leverage part of the stand, it works without it, even fully loaded. I tried welding it, to no avail. Even sleved it with an inner pipe. Best bet is to do without or buy a used stand. FWIW, my .02

Jerry S! I like your thinking!

I'm not a registered Ebay user, so I have to wait for my confirmation email. I want to buy that centerstand RIGHT NOW, but I cannot! I am in Internet hell right now. I can see it, but I cannot grasp it! Ahhhhh! frown.gif

You shouldn't have any problem if you get it welded - i broke one on an old Gold Wing I owned and had it welded, with some rebar material added to beef it up - worked fine. I suspect, however, that if you check EBAY, Craigslist, the BMWRA site, and even with your local dealer or motorcycle repair shop, you will come up with a used one which is in good shape and pretty cheap.

Glad you didn't drop that beauty!

...all good solutions. Buuuttt....

Is is just me, or do I detect a resounding TADT(sometime)???.

If I dropped my $11k bike because the %$&&*$$ CENTERSTAND broke...I'd be pisssed! A centerstand...snapping in half???

This is only my second ride w/ such an accoutrement...and I've read about this happening and checking for cracks and all. But is there an aftermarket replacement out there that may, you know, stand up to the 'stress and strain' of everyday use???

Or must I stress about this now everytime I dock my bike??

jimOH: be afraid...be very afraid!

I'd just be aware that this happens so you'll be ready if and when it does. Get your centerstand inspected whenever you take your biek in for service, too.

Wait, why am I tell this to a Buckeye?! I'm a died in the wool Michigan Wolverine football fan! grin.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
I think a lot of people drop a rod down the inside of the snapped off tube before welding it up to prevent a repeat.

I had two stands break. The first one broke and was replaced by the dealer under warranty, along with the scratched bits of plastic when the thing landed on the right side.

After the second one broke and somehow I managed NOT to drop it, the dealer again replaced it, but first I took a new stand to my welding buddies who did what Ken suggested. They cut off the foot tube, put a solid rod in there and welded the thing back together again. I think they even drilled a few holes in the original tube so they could secure the rod with weld.

That repair was 4+ years ago and I haven't had any problems since.

jimOH: be afraid...be very afraid!

I'd just be aware that this happens so you'll be ready if and when it does. Get your centerstand inspected whenever you take your biek in for service, too.

Wait, why am I tell this to a Buckeye?! I'm a died in the wool Michigan Wolverine football fan! grin.gif

I'm surrounded Beemerman!

Can't get away from BuckeyeFever in OH....

I'm from Connecticut...and could not care less about the college game....Go Cowboys!!

Is is just me, or do I detect a resounding TADT(sometime)???.
Relax, for once it's not a TADT thing. There have been reports of them breaking, but by far more don't than do.

Another little trick is to weld a piece of angle iron spanning the length of the section that broke. Of course after welding the rod into the center section. I did this years ago and never again had a moment's trouble.

I welded mine. My foot lever snapped off so I removed it, went down to ace hardware and bought a bolt that was just small enough to fit inside the tubing. Then I welded it in place, painted it and bolted it back. I think that it is stronger than a new one which would be the same as the one that failed.

My K100 stand did the same thing last spring, only the bike DID go over onto its side ....AFTER I had repainted the fairing like new a few months previously ($%*!).

Whatever you do, fix the ORIGINAL problem, which was likely rust. These tubular stands tend to get moisture inside due to beat-up rubber plugs at the end, and this causes slow corrosion. So spring for a set of new plugs, and ensure the inside of the tubes where they are inserted, is clean and rust-free so the rubber plugs can seat and properly seal.

Bob.

This is all great feedback guys. Thanks!

Talk about the collective wisdom of this site. My goodness!

I think a friend of mine ordered one from Ebay for me. When I talk to him, I'll find out if he did. If he hasn't, then I'll probably look into the BeemerBoneyard site. In any case, I am continually impressed with the level of insight members on this forum have.

And rust! I never thought of that. Thanks for the tip!

Hi Beemerman2K!

Hope you get your issue fixed. frown.gif

For the others worried about the RT's center stand, from what I've been able to glean from reading the DB for the last few years, this appears to be a problem that has plagued the R1100RT's far more than the R11[/b]50[/b]RT's (though they are of course older bikes) and the above mentioned fixes are all good. thumbsup.gif

Leslie and I have 200,000 miles on our 1150RT's, I use mine almost every day, and I regularly ride off of mine while fully loaded (with gear, that is! eek.gifgrin.gif ). Are there that many R1150RT owners that have suffered this fate? confused.gif

I'm sure that moisture/rust would play a role in the deterioration of the center stand, so now that you've made it to California, if you replace it with a new/slightly used one, you might not have to worry about it again. BTW, how's the fog in Marina Del Rey? grin.gif

I use the side stand 90% of the time. It doesn't break, and it's easier to repair if it did. As an added bonus it's got a grease fitting so you can lube it without any disassembly.

Stan

I regularly ride off of mine while fully loaded (with gear, that is!

I thought this was "TABOO" confused.gif???

It would sure be easier than the way I do it!!

Although... I weigh 220lbs my gelatinous A$$ would probably break it... if I tried that? bncry.gif

I just realized that I still have a centerstand. What broke off was the part I step on to hoist my bike up on the centerstand. The centerstand itself is still intact. So I think I'm just going to find a welder who can put the lever back on for me.

I just realized that I still have a centerstand. What broke off was the part I step on to hoist my bike up on the centerstand. The centerstand itself is still intact. So I think I'm just going to find a welder who can put the lever back on for me.

If you can't find an affordable welder closer or just want to take a ride down to Carlsbad, I can weld it for you. I have a busy schedule before I leave for vacation Thurs so we'll have to coordinate it well. Cheers, Jerry

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Right, me too, twice. The center stand was intact, but the foot stand is what broke.

I wonder if you need to disconnect the battery before you weld something that is still on the bike? I know it's an older RT, but remember when the Long-Way-Round guys fried their brake system when the frame was welded on the bike. Maybe you want to investigate this with someone that knows more than me?

The 1150 centerstands have a slighlty longer piece of sheetmetal bracing between the foot piece and the vertical piece. You can have the original welded and then add the longer piece of gusset metal to strengthen the ass'y. I did this on my 98 and it worked fine for 2 more years.

I wonder if you need to disconnect the battery before you weld something that is still on the bike? I know it's an older RT, but remember when the Long-Way-Round guys fried their brake system when the frame was welded on the bike. Maybe you want to investigate this with someone that knows more than me?

Hmmm, I never thought about this. Anyone know if this is an issue? I guess I'll remove my battery prior to having any welding done. Thanks!

Hmmm, I never thought about this. Anyone know if this is an issue? I guess I'll remove my battery prior to having any welding done. Thanks!

NOOO! Remove the centerstand, then weld! It's not hard to get off and the results will be much better if you can position the stand on a bench to get the best weld!

(besides, it is easier/quicker to remove the stand than to get the battery out)

The best (and probably only) way to weld it right is to remove the centerstand altogether. The part that breaks is not the stand itself, but the extension used to apply foot pressure. BTW, I dropped my bike also. Thank heaven for valve cover protectors. clap.gif

Thanks for the tips fellas. I'm riding down to Jerry's place in Carlsbad, CA and he's going to weld it back together for me. We'll remove the stand before fixing it.

I want to shout out a big "Thank you" to Jerry S for his fixing the centerstand on my RT today. I rode down to Carlsbad this afternoon and met Jerry at his home. An impressive home with an impressive set of metal working machinery in his garage. There's so much there I suggested we transform my boxer twin into a liquid cooled 4!

Jerry made my centerstand BETTER than new. This stand is welded together with a metal rod inserted into it. It ain't breakin' no more, that's for sure!

Hey folks, Jerry S is an outstanding man and a great contributor to our community. It people like him that make our passion of motorcycling so rewarding.

Archived