IGNORED

Advice for N to S Florida Routes

Id's_OK

Jenn and I are planning to ride from Birmingham to Miami and back the first week of November. Once there, we'll be staying on the beach in N. Miami and taking day trips (not really beach people) to the Keys, the Everglades, etc., but it's the journey, right?

My tentative route has us generally following Hwy 27 from Bainbridge, GA through the middle of the peninsula to Lake Okechobee, west on 98/441 to W. Palm, then south to N. Miami. We will probably stay the first night around Gainesville, which is roughly half way (Jenn's daily limit is about 400mi). On the way back, 41 through the Glades, hopping on 75 somewhere between Ft, Myers and Sarasota, into Tampa. Friday night dinner at Bern's steakhouse, then 19 or 41 north towards home Saturday morning (assuming the wine hangover doesn't delay us!).

SO...do any of you Florida folks have any recommendations? must-see stops, great roads, road food or better routes? Any and all advice most appreciated. Will try to post through the trip, but definitely a ride tale when we get back.

Thanks!

I would stay away from the east coast as much as possible. Maybe come down US 19 to Fort Myers, then take US 41 to Miami.

Then take the middle of the state back north, maybe US 27.

Either way, I would try at least one leg as close to the west coast as you can.

Cedar Key would be a nice stop. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedar_Key,_Florida

Columbia Restaurant in Sarasota is GREAT!

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/sarasota.asp

Thanks, Jerry. That leg from W. Palm to Miami was iffy at best. What are your thoughts on Hwy 98/19 from Tampa to Tallahassee? That's the only thing close to the W. coast I see, and since we'll probably stay somewhere in the panhandle or SW Georgia Saturday night, that makes sense.

Cheers!

Personally I stay away from Tallahassee Stienhatchee North of Cedar Key then back to 19 over to 98 to Apalachicola(the oysters were excellent last week) then pick a route around the infrastructural mess that exists around TEEville would be my route. Back toward Monticello Fl. and back up 19 to your way East is quite a nice ride through the Pecan Orchards.

Personally I stay away from Tallahassee Stienhatchee North of Cedar Key then back to 19 over to 98 to Apalachicola(the oysters were excellent last week) then pick a route around the infrastructural mess that exists around TEEville would be my route. Back toward Monticello Fl. and back up 19 to your way East is quite a nice ride through the Pecan Orchards.

East?

Back up?

They'd go west to get home.

Anyways...

There are some roads, some routes, etc.

PM me your schedule and available time frame and I'll suggest a couple of detours for your perusal.

98 is rather slow and boring between Perry and Eastpoint, but it is direct.

There are roads inland with some different options, but they meander quite a bit and might not fit w/you direction and time frame.

I'll reply to your PM.

Do you have GPS?

If so I'll send you almost everything except our secret race track location.

;)

My tentative route has us generally following Hwy 27 from Bainbridge, GA through the middle of the peninsula to Lake Okechobee, west on 98/441 to W. Palm, then south to N. Miami. We will probably stay the first night around Gainesville, which is roughly half way (Jenn's daily limit is about 400mi).

Christopher, hi. That's not a bad route except that most of Fla.'s major hiways are tedious and boring. Here's what I'd do; it's a little intricate in places so you'll need a detailed map (I use DeLorme Atlas') or someone can convert it to GPS (Bernie?). Parts will look out of the way but you'll make up most of the time by avoiding towns.

27 to I-10, east of Tallahassee take 90 E. past Madison then back on I-10 to CR137 south to CR240 east to 241 south to Alachua. There are motels near the interstate and small restaurants in Alachua and High Springs.

Continue south on 241 to Archer, 27 thru town then east on 346 (Chevron? on corner), south on 121. Here I'm obligated to notify you of one of central Fla.'s best restaurants but you have to promise to go the 5 miles back north and resume the route. 121 south into Williston it's on the right, The Ivey House. North on 121, east on 320, south on 329 (this is a scenic area, horse country and you may want to come back and explore later, if so we can identify the small roads), south on 25A, east on Martin Rd. thru Anthony to CR315. South on 315, east on SR40, south on 314A to end (little store w/big tree). Right on(?) to SR42, east to 352, south to Emeralda Island Rd., right to SR44, right then left on 473, left on 441, right on SR19, left on CR561, left on 27, right on 50 left on 561, then south on 33 to Polk City which is where you'll find one of the few reasons why someone could possibly want to visit Florida. Fantasy of Flight, Kermit Weeks' unbelievable collection and exhibition of vintage aircraft.

From here take 559 east then north on 557, east on SR17, south on 27 a few miles, east on 542, then south on 17 to almost Avon Park (this is a nice rd. that parallels 27 and goes by Bok Tower and Botanical Gardens, a unique place if you're so inclined). In Avon Park turn left on Main ST. and continue south on 17 into the old downtown Sebring. You can keep following 17 south of SR70 then it's pretty much 27 around the west side of the lake or you could take US98 to 710 over to W. Palm.

If you find yourself getting bogged down most of the route parallels major routes so you could adjust as needed. Maybe someone's got some other ideas for the return or you may want to try it backwards if you have more time going back north.

After dinner at Bern's (bring lots of cash but well-worth it), I'd be glad to lead you on some good roads heading north from the Tampa area. You can pick up 19 later which is better than I-75. You should be riding in outstanding weather.

PM me if interested.

Thanks! Normally, I would stay away from Tallahassee too, but I have a cousin that lives there and is putting us up Saturday night. I do hope to run down to or around A'cola tho' for some oysters!

OK Matt and Bob, duly noted. But which part of 19 are you talking about...south of Tampa, Tampa to Tallahassee, or the whole thing? Do tell!

Thanks Bill, this is great! I'm on the road now (work, not riding), but will study the maps as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to give me the details!

Oh yes, Rich, Bern's is worth every penny! We actually had a group of 8 fly from BHM to Tampa just to eat there, back when Southwest flights were truly dirt cheap!

Anyway, I will definitely take you up on your offer, though it definitely won't be Friday after dinner! More later!

I would stay away from the east coast as much as possible. Maybe come down US 19 to Fort Myers, then take US 41 to Miami.

First, from Tarpon Springs south, US19 is all urban, multi-lane, in-town road, the main strip of asphalt through the most densely populated county in the state.

Secondly, US 19 ends about 3 miles south of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge that crosses the opening of Tampa Bay and doesn't get you anywhere near Ft. Myers. It merges with US 41 at Rubonia which will then take you all the way to Miami-Dade - eventually - going through every town and city center as US41 is the main north-south drag - other than I-75 - for the southwest coast and very urban/suburban until you get past Punta Gorda then picks up again in Ft. Myers area and Naples. Avoid it unless you have a specific destination in there.

At Naples, when it turns east, US41 is fine and a nice ride. Fuel up before leaving Naples and watch for gators sunning on/near the road if you choose to go that way.

My two cents:

In north FL, I'd take US27 to High Springs, then south on US41 to Inverness and St.Rd. 44. Go east (stopping at the Russell Stover Outlet about 3 miles east of I-75 if you like chocolate) back to US27 in Leesburg and south from there on. This will avoid the Gainesville/Ocala metro areas and see some nice horse country on US41 specifically. I've travelled most of this in a steel box and enjoyed it a lot. If you still want to take US41 across, take SR29 south from just north of LaBelle to US41 then hang a left to Miami-Dade.

If you're certain on a stop at Bern's (kudos but $$$) take SR44 just to US301 at Wildwood then south to Tampa. You can later rejoin US27 using many state roads off I-75 south of Tampa, SR64 to SR66 is probably your best and most direct route. SR60 looks good on the map but very built up and a lot of truck traffic.

Feel free to PM me if you like, especially if you are going to be in the Sarasota area. Enjoy the ride.

I can't help you guys. I will not take US hwy's in FL. Too straight. But great roads in KY. :rofl:

Follow Roadscholars route and you will use both sides of your tires and avoid all the cities.

We will probably stay the first night around Gainesville, which is roughly half way (Jenn's daily limit is about 400mi).

Lake City is a good stopping place as well as it's where the slabs cross and a lot of hotels. You can take SR47 or US41 south from there and miss I-75 completely. (Wave to my in-laws on the way south. :->)

Well, I'm gonna toss in here.

I lived in Fla 25 years. Seven of those in Tampa. I used to run the Corporate training center for a very large corporation and we sent the VP's and Division GMs to Berns all the time. Always a very good meal- and they are known for their Wine list- which is the size of the phone book in a middle-sized city. Steaks are ok but pricey... BUT...

You can get a pretty good steak anywhere but you cannot get good Spanish or Cuban food. There are truly classic places in Tampa that should be considered. If you are there for lunch get a "real" Cuban sandwich in the Ybor City section of town. (that is pronounced E-bo). If you are there later in the day, for dinner... there are too many to choose from. Try Columbia, or Carmine's.

Breakfast? Get Cuban toast with melted cheese and a caffe Cubano... or con leche. You may decide to just stay in Tampa and eat.

Bill (RoadScholar) has given us what I believe are the best possible roads/routes for the way down. But am I understanding correctly that 19 is OK once you're far away from Clearwater and Tarpon Springs, up around Hudson, Spring Hill etc?

Jerry and others have said that the west coast near Cedar Key is nice, so I'm thinking..take I-75 away from Tampa, HWY 52 to 19 near Hudson, then 19 the rest of the way to Perry and beyond? We may take 98 over to Carabelle or Apalachicola for some oysters, but by that point, we'll be ready to start heading home anyway, and all the roads are straight in the panhandle and S. Ala! We have a free bed in Tallahassee, so that's kind-of unavoidable. Thoughts, anyone?

You can get a pretty good steak anywhere

I have to disagree...I rarely have a steak in a restaurant and don't think I could do better at home! Our plan is to eat our way through south Florida, hitting only truly local, mostly ethnic places. It's rare that Jenn and I don't spend our vacations eating in nice places, but I agree with you, we have to savor the Cuban and Spanish where it's done best!

Back to steak: Bern's is one of the only--maybe the only--houses left that truly dry ages their beef (8 weeks, till it's moldy and delicious!), they grow their veggies in their own organic farm, and the ridiculous values on their wine list more than make up for the fair but expensive beef.

Last time we were there, they were serving a 1979 red from the Rhone valley for $10.50 BY THE GLASS...that's what you pay for average house cab in most places! We'll split a nice bone-in strip, and with two sets of fixings, a nice dusty red wine...nothing better!

I live near SR52. I could take you on a route from the intersection of SR52 and I-75 over some of Florida's best roads and end up at 19 just north of Homosassa. We could even take the Ozello Trail to lunch at Peck's Old Port Cove (just a few miles off of 19.) Or you could take 52 straight to 19...and I mean straight (and boring...but probably quicker.)

19 north of the nuke plant ain't bad, and there are several side roads that add 20-30 miles but get you off of 19.

IMO there is a better route between G'ville and Ocala, but Bill's is fine.

It depends on where you are when heading down from Alabama, let me know this also.

If you're set on heading down 27, which isn't bad in some places, there is a river road that is in w ga that crosses over by Eufala. Road number is 39 I think and it runs over to Bluffton.

Deserted and nice.

On 27 S I prefer to get farther South instead of heading over on 27towards G'ville. At Perry stay south on alt 27/19/98.

You can go west south of Perry on 361 and see a bit of the water/coast, go through Steinhatchee, cross over on 358 to the east side of 19 and then rejoin 19 just north of Cross City.

This cuts out a long stretch of the boring part.

Continue to Chiefland, take alt 27 towards Ocala.

Just past Williston take 316 east. There are 2 lefts for 316, the first doubles back to alt 27, so take the second one.

Follow this through beautiful horse country with rolling hills. Keep going therough Ft. Mccoy and head over to Fl. 19 south at Salt Springs.

Nice rolling terrain and sweepers.

At some point you have to decide which poison to take to get to S. Fla.

Fl. 19 gives you the option to go east on 46 to I 95, or south on US 441 (deal w/Orlando this way) and then turnpike, or back on 441 when south of the Ratworld area, down to Lake Okechobee and east side of that down to hookup w/27 or go east over towards Atlantic.

Or, from back there on Fl. 19 south you can go west just north of Eustis on Fl 44 and head over to I 75 or US 27.

Or west over towards 33 and various routes that involve US 17, Fl 31/82/29 and intersect w/Alligator Alley.

Or, just stay on Fl 19 down to Fl 50 to head west if you're going to Tampa.

We tend to avoid the slabs and congestion if we can.

All depends on your must be places and dates.

Let me know about Appalach, might even meet up w/you.

If you take the Suncoast north from Tampa and then hit 98 you'll miss a lot of traffic.

If you plan on swinging over to Apalachicola and then back to Tallahassee, let me know.

There is a set of very nice roads that will get you from there to west Tallahassee and keep you off the beaten path.

I did not mean to demean Bern's. It is reliable and fun. I would be happy to be there (Tampa) and enjoy it once again. I do need to add that after the third or 4th time in a month it can wear on a person.

I was happy to leave Tampa for the East coast but I do miss some of the fine food available there.

Sounds like you have a good experience base to draw on.

Enjoy the trip.

Bern's is an experience.

Unless things have changed, they grow all/most of the produce they use, raise their own cattle, and have one of the largest wine lists (think NYC phone book x3) anywhere.

The waitstaff must start out learning the entire process of food production and the Bern way "down on the farm".

Like anything you can have too much of a good thing, butjust barely in this case.

:Cool:

Tim, this is not a hijack... I was running a corporate training center in those days and that included entertaining a lot of VIP's... they all wanted to go to Bern's. I guess the duty could have been a lot worse.

A HUGE shout of THANKS! to Bernie, Bill and Tim for the expert guidance. These guys put their heads together, then Bernie translated everything into Garmin. I could not have asked for more!

Thanks guys!

Sorry, Rich, I was responding to you and Tim when I encountered technical difficulties & work distractions! Can work be considered a distraction?

We'd love to meet up with you Saturday morning to get a tour of your area and lunch! (esp. with Marty's endorsement ;-) Since we're taking three days to get home, we are a lot more flexible than the trip down, but our dinner reservation Friday night is a great placeholder.

I'll PM you a little closer to the trip, once we know where we're staying and can choose a good meeting spot. Thanks for the insights and the invite...we look forward to seeing you!

We'll be trying to get to Miami in two days while not overextending my wife, so we'll hit your route N of Tampa on the way back.

If we stay Saturday night somewhere between Alachua and Ocala, Sunday to Miami will be choosing the least of several evils, but we can start out with 316 to 19 as you suggest. After that, we'll probably get on one of the larger highways (27 or the turnpike) to cover as much ground as possible. We've paid for a week at the place on the beach, so adding a day is a double whammy.

I have to stop playing hookey...more later. Thanks again everyone!

i don't mind the turnpike. PITA around orlando, but seems to have less traffic than 75-95. IMO t-pike much quicker south of west palm than 95.

Bern's is an experience.... one of the largest wine lists (think NYC phone book x3) :Cool:

When I went, they said 1,000,000 bottles, NOT a typo. 1 million. They have 100,000 bottles in the original cellar in the restaurant and 900,000 more in the warehouse-looking bldg. next door. If I drank wine, I would go there in a heartbeat.

If I remember correctly they have eight (8) warehouses around town used for aging meat and storing wine! Don't worry, I'll drink your share!

Archived