IGNORED

Windscreens for short guy

dshogman

I've been reading all the posts on windscreen recommendations and they all seem to come from the tall riders. I'm short! 5 ft 7 inches in riding boots with a 27 inch inseam. Yesterday while getting the intial 600 miles on the bike, I did a mini-survey on my stock screen. I'm running it almost all the way up and looking through it. If I lower it enough to see above it (about 2-3 inches), the buffeting is severe. I certainly would like to have it more towards the full down position so I could look above it. So how much of an increase - your suggestions please. Also, what's with the width addition they show - how does width affect the rider? Coming from a Harley which worked fine with the stock screen, this is all new to me.

Thanks.

If it's all the way down, you can barely see over it, and the buffeting is severe, you either need a new helmet or a longer (not tall) windscreen.

David, I'm vertically challenged like yourself, 5'6" w/30" inseam. I too leave the windshield up all the way most of the time although I can just see over it. I have 20K miles on the bike and while the buffeting isn't severe, it is quite bothersome dopeslap.gif so I decided to do something about it. I just ordered clap.gif a Cee Bailey's #2 Euro cut standard height clear sheild which I should get in a few weeks. I'll give you a review soon.

The goal should be smooth air, not less air. Buffeting is caused by pressure differential, which leads to cavitation. The more vertical the screen, the greater the differential between the front and rear of the shield. This causes the airflow to pass the trailing edge and move down and forward to equalize the pressure.

So the least buffetting comes from a shallow angle, the appropriate distance from your head to the trailing edge of the shield, the height of your helmet, your helmet itself, the shape of the shield, and some sort of "bleed" that allows that pressure equalization (usually through the triple clamp area).

You may have everthing perfect and then just one thing changes (speed, e.g.) and the entire equation yields a different result. That's why your pillion will have a completely different experience than you.

I'm just trying to point out that the typical solution of getting bigger and bigger screens will NOT necessarily solve buffetting. It's about smooth airflow while minimizing cavitation.

I just ordered clap.gif a Cee Bailey's #2 Euro cut standard height clear sheild which I should get in a few weeks. I'll give you a review soon.
You will like your #2 Ero cut +2 ! I like the one I have from them! thumbsup.gif I'm 5'4" and 29" inseam. grin.gif Daved Yes try Cee Balleys Here Good Luck You must have the low seat? cool.gif

Yes, I have the low seat. The CB website also asks for width changes. What's the effect of a change in width or do you just stay with standard?

Thanks

I'm about your size and had the same problem. With a CeeBailey +2 and +2 wider left at the lowest level, almost all noise is gone. I found that the angle when left in the lowest position was critical so the extra 2" was all I needed. Now I look over (about 1/2") and it makes a HUGE difference.

Good luck!

Archived