IGNORED

It happened again . . . .

Lineareagle

A while back I did a post on the 6th sense in riding, and other things, well it happened again and it was a little eerie.

I had ridden for about 6 hours, 99% country roads.

Coming back into town at nightfall I was riding south on a 4 lane city road with center turn lane.

The thought popped into my head that unlike some of the towns where you guys ride, our town is actually pretty bike friendly, as in people seem to see and are courteous to riders.

Then up ahead I see a car make a U-turn from the northbound lanes, around a center island and into the southbound curb lane. I was going to be passing him in my lane so I slowed slightly and reached for the nautilus horn switch, just in case he hadn't seen me and was going to come over into my lane.

Right then an SUV pulled straight out from a side street on the left without stopping, crossed the north bound lanes heading for my lane. No way I could stop fast enough, on the horn, on the brakes, and checking to my right which was now empty as the U-turner had exited into a mall.

The SUV finally heard, saw me and slammed on its brakes allowing me enough clearance to, left knee into the tank and right foot hard down on the peg, avoidance slalom.

Inches, just inches!

Well, the horn saved me I am quite sure, but putting on the brakes more for the U-turner thereby allowing him to come over if he so desired would have been wiser at the get go.

I was setting myself up because I started to focus on one vehicle, the U-turner, rather than backing off and maintaining a good scan for all vehicles.

It's just weird that I had the positive thought right before all this crap happened. Bit o' a slap up side the head. :dopeslap:

Eventually the SUV passed me with a sheepish gal about 16 at the wheel, her father? in the passenger seat, drivers ed?

Glad you managed to come out of that unscathed. Inspite of your self-criticism, I think you did well. :clap:

+1

Two days ago, on northbound I 71 in OH, I had my hibeams on as I approached a slower minivan in the right hand lane.

With more than 10 car lengths to go, I put on my left signal and slowly moved to the left passing lane. I kept to the right side of the passing lane, keeping my hibeam in the left rear view mirror of the minivan, as I approached. As I got closer I moved more towards them middle of the left lane. I was moving about 10mph faster than the minivan.

When I was even with the minivan's left back wheel, the front of the minivan turned and began to move into my lane. (it was like slow motion)

I throttled off and touched the front and rear brakes, dropping safely, and quickly, out of the way. I was now riding behind the mini van, in the left tire track with my hibeam on.

I pulled into the right lane, right tire track, and passed the minivan quickly. Sure enough, she was yacking on the phone and was oblivious to what had happened.

On reexamination I could have anticipated that she was not going to look in her left rearview mirror and I could have wiggled the bike behind her to grab her attention? Eh, maybe she had no more attention available.

We can't prevent what they do, but we can be paying attention and anticipating. The fact that you were working your ride, albeit focused on the other car, is reason you are here to tell the tale. If the cell phone lady had jerked quickly into the left lane I might have been knocked left and who knows what would have happened. As it was there was no reason for her to make the move, NONE. One of the things I find facinating is working the anticipation of what they might do. It keeps the ride interesting.

Don't you just love having your life in the palm of your hand?

And I need a better than stock horn.

Actually Stebel horns overadvertize their loudness. No one with a decible meter has been able to repeat their claim, certainly I could not. Hella Supertones come closer to the figure Stebel claims. I believe the Webikeworld site has done this test on more than one occasion. They are louder than stock horn though and are cheap enough but offer zero support in case of trouble.

Good save. A long time ago in a galaxy far away, Fort Knox, I remember our DI saying that intense focus on one target will usually get you killed by another. Tunnel vision is used/created by magicians, thieves and the like to hide the obvious.

Thanks guys. I am not sure that I want an obnoxiouly loud horn, just one that is loud. Do I really need the obnoxiouly loud horn?

John, I so agree, but yesterday I watched a cop drive by talking on and holding a cell phone to his ear. I know he is highly trained, but it sets a bad example. It's illegal here in NY, but it seems everyone does it.

Wade, I stopped talking on the cell phone while driving the car a few years ago, when I noticed my ability to do so had diminished. It was legal back then too, but my mind was better. :eek:

I added 2 of the car type horns to my 07 RT, got them at Advance Auto--cheap. Did not use a relay, just wired them to the existing horn connectors. The result: bike sounds like a car--just what I wanted! :thumbsup:

I added 2 of the car type horns to my 07 RT, got them at Advance Auto--cheap. Did not use a relay, just wired them to the existing horn connectors. The result: bike sounds like a car--just what I wanted! :thumbsup:

Cool Bob,

So that means I won't be using any more watts than my current horn uses, right?

Do you have a photo?

I'm curious how much space two car horns take up?

No, I'm not needy. :P:grin::)

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

I think there is no such thing as an "obnoxiously loud horn". "Loud Horns Save Lives :rofl: " It's how you use it that's obnoxious.

A quick little "toot-toot" to get someones attention is not obnoxious. However, if someone is on the cell phone and drifting into your lane and into you, a "longer blast" on the horn is appropriate--and you sure as heck want them to be able to hear it, what with their radio on, their window closed and there ear on the cell phone.

Any cop who has run code (lights and siren) has encountered the vehicle in the left lane that won't yield because the driver can't hear the siren at 30 feet distance. Lots of luxury cars are so well insulated and their audio systems so loud, that the drivers simply can't hear horns or sirens. Let's not even consider the number of drivers in those vehicles who are impaired or see you and don't care if you live or die.

Don't count on a horn to save you. Instead, ride defensively and be willing to yield to the idiot in the cage that's invading your space. I suspect the mental time and dexterity needed to use the horn could be better used in avoidance.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

I agree 100% with your assessment. My Survival Reaction is to get on my brakes, and I can do that in a fraction of a second, compared to trying to find my horn button, which I rarely use. The only reason I "weighed in" was to say, if you're going to put a new horn on your bike, get one that people will hear--if you need to get their attention.

I suspect the mental time and dexterity needed to use the horn could be better used in avoidance.

Oh, little miss muffit knows how to hit the horn, clutch and brake all at one time.

In this case, I had it all covered, but knew the horn was not going to help. I can barely hear it.

Archived