IGNORED

Sony Noise Cancelling Ear Buds

Brimoon

Has anyone on the list tried Sony's Noise Cancelling ear buds Model MDR-NC11? I searched the list and while there was some discussion about Bose noise cancelling headphones, I couldn't find anything on the Sony ones. Aerostitch has them on sale and says they can be worn under a helmet.

It seems like an interesting idea, but I fear it would be better publicized if it really worked.

I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks!

Brian

Has anyone on the list tried Sony's Noise Cancelling ear buds Model MDR-NC11? I searched the list and while there was some discussion about Bose noise cancelling headphones, I couldn't find anything on the Sony ones. Aerostitch has them on sale and says they can be worn under a helmet.

It seems like an interesting idea, but I fear it would be better publicized if it really worked.

I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks!

Brian

Hi Brian,

I was curious about your post as I posted the one about the Bose. Looking on the web I came up with this LINK when I googled "MDR-NC11 motorcycle".

Unfortunately, did not look too promising.

I've got a set that I would sell except I can't think of a price low enough that I wouldn't feel I had ripped someone off. I don't think you could wear them under a snug helmet anyway.

It can't be a great idea to block out all noise on a motorcycle.....It's a good idea to hear the guy coming up behind you thinking you might be his next target. dopeslap.gif

I do own a pair of ear bud type of noise cancelling phones that I use when traveling by air. Work well on an airplane, but I also thought that it should work on a bike. Needless to say, didn't work well at all. The noise on the bike is different then the constant drone of an airplane and hence they were of no use on a bike. confused.gif Better to use good earbuds instead. thumbsup.gif

Chris...

Good earphones do not block out all the noise. They will dull a lot of the regular drone, but you can definitely hear that guy coming up on you. I agree completely that all sound should not be cancelled!

I do own a pair of ear bud type of noise cancelling phones that I use when traveling by air. Work well on an airplane, but I also thought that it should work on a bike. Needless to say, didn't work well at all. The noise on the bike is different then the constant drone of an airplane and hence they were of no use on a bike. confused.gif Better to use good earbuds instead. thumbsup.gif

Well, based on the comments on this thread and the negative reviews on Amazon I decided to pass up the Sony noise cancelling ear buds. Instead, I've ordered a pair of Etymotic Research ER6i Isolator Ear Buds - $85 with free shipping from Amazon. These seem to be highly regarded for both bike and general use. The regular model is ER6; the ER6i is designed specifically for the iPod. You can check out

Etymotic here.

Brian

An interesting side note--I have been using a set of Sony ear buds for about 7 months now. (MDR-EX71SL) I have been happy with them, comfortable, good isolation without blocking too much, fairly cheap, but they have recently failed in an unusual way. The insulation covering the wires has mostly disintigrated, turning into a soft almost gooey substance. I can't decide if this is a chemical reaction with the helmet materials, exposure to smog, or most likely, exposure to UV in sunlight. They probably were not designed with motorcycle riding in mind.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

I have used the ER-6 for about 6 months, and really like them. Good sound, and block a reasonable amount of wind noise.

BTW, I hate cords hanging around, so I tuck the cord under my jacket before I zip up, so no dangly stuff to catch my hand on. thumbsup.gif

Working in a local band I wanted a set of buds tough enough yet effective. I chose Shure E2. $80.00 at music store where I shop . E2 earbuds are comfortable in a helmet, but care must be taken to properly position them in the ear canal as they have a different profile than E3 Shure. One nice feature is a wax filter, which is not available with the Shure E3 or E5. Leon

My Etymotic ER6i ear buds arrived a couple of days ago ($85 from Amazon) and I tried them on the bike yesterday. I'm using them with an iPod and I'm quite pleased with them. They sound great with all different sorts of music and they do a good job cutting down wind noise. So, they seem about as effective as ear plugs when the music is turned off. As mentioned, you do have to be sure they're properly inserted in your ears, no different really than good ear plugs. Although I don't listen to music that much when riding, I do enjoy it from time to time on a long ride.

Brian

I own a set of these same Sony's (MDR-EX71SL)and like them alot. for $30-$40 price tag I think they can't be beat. I have used mine the entire season on my RT and don't have the problem you relate (turning to goo).

Just thought I would reply to your question on the sony's with my personal experience.

I have the EX71s also and am disappointed in not only the nearly non-existent lower-bass frequency response, but they fall out of my ears inside of my helmet within five minutes of riding. Seems my helmet presses on the hard-sheath insulator at the ear bud that leads the wire out. It seems to stick out from the ear too much and flips them out of my ears everytime. The search goes on!!!

Archived