IGNORED

Ride Smart class available in 2010??

Kathy R

Is there any interest in having a Ride Smart Class in 2010? East coast? I would sign up for the class in a heartbeat.

Now that I lean over I see, at BRR, that I need to hang off the bike some more.

It seems there are many former students offering to help (include me among them), but no leaders to organize and therefore feel responsible for the outcome if something were to go wrong.

Assuming we could come up with a hotel location and a road nearby to ride, we may be able to teach by committee. Each instructor could take a particular part of RideSmart and teach that to the group at the designated stops.

Franklin, NC comes to mind for a location with hotels and I think a section Wayah Bald Road could be a great training road. If Wayah is too busy, I know a few other roads nearby with less traffic as well as a few that are dead ends, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thoughts?

Ken,

Add me to the list of former students willing to help. Teaching by committee is not a bad idea (would be interested to know how the originators of the class think that might work?.

If it were to end up NC again, Shawn's class used a section of the Blue Ridge up, Pisgah Inn was our turn around and that seemed to work really well.

I know that Shawn has a soft spot in his heart for teaching near Brevard just because there's good hotels and a quiet stretch of parkway with well placed overlooks.

I have electronic copies of all the curricula.

'Zactly ... Franklin's got great stuff around it (and I like the Franklin Inn for motorcycle friendly, clean rooms, etc.) but it seems to me it's a bit more trouble to get to the open stretches with good practice turns from there.

Just my $0.02 ... you know I'll follow orders from whoever takes the lead on it ;)

It seems there are many former students offering to help (include me among them), but no leaders to organize and therefore feel responsible for the outcome if something were to go wrong.

Thoughts?

Add me to the list of helpers. I maybe able to help with some of the prep work also - depending where and when. We have a daughter getting married in Oct. so I will have to work around that.

I would not mind going to one too. I would not mind to find out what RideSmart is all about. I am very open minded. Remember my Harley post.!!

Howz about something in the N. Ga. area? I'd be glad to help scout if it's a little closer to home. Richard B. Russell Pkwy. would work, with Helen as base camp.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if trying to throw one together this year is a practical idea. Weather is closing in fast for the areas that have been suggested, so if we don't get it done in the next month, it'll be too iffy. I don't particularly care to try teaching when it's 34 degrees.

Maybe we should shoot for the spring instead.

I'll throw my name into the hat as people that would like to attend. Give me a couple days notice and I can probably meet you anywhere... have bike, will travel! (oh, and a credit card that is not maxed out.....)

Jim

After attending the class in Maggie Valley, I offered to coordinate lodging, etc, for a class HERE or HERE in Arkansas. Member/instructor Randy was enthusiastic at the time.

I'm still willing to do the lodging coordination stuff. Both are beautiful settings with wonderful roads all around. However both lock you in to eating at the lodges...not necessarily a bad thing, just a thing. If an instructor team steps up, send me a PM and we'll get going on it.

Kathy, Im not familar with ride smart, but http://www.stayinsafe.com/ is another option, the late Larry Grodsky founder; I think in the early stages of francising new locations popping up also MSF as launched a Sport bike ERC. But in my opionion California Superbike school is the way to go. At the end of the day remember "waste no curve" :grin:

Lone_RT_rider

Stay tuned folks. I'm in China and have been messaging one of the former instructors (probably :) ) with possibilities. This may take a bit of time, but I think we can do this. Just remember (*cough* *cough* Matt *cough* *cough*), this will be considered a classroom environment for the entire day of instruction. :)

And somebody else had better run video this time..... (inside joke....sorry).

Shawn

Kathy, Im not familar with ride smart, but http://www.stayinsafe.com/ is another option, the late Larry Grodsky founder; I think in the early stages of francising new locations popping up also MSF as launched a Sport bike ERC. But in my opionion California Superbike school is the way to go. At the end of the day remember "waste no curve" :grin:

Hi ya RevRay, :wave: Thanks for the links. I'd like to take it all in. I've done the MSF and ERC long ago. All good. I loved CSB, but need to continue and take the higher levels. RideSmart is highly rated by folks I respect and so that is definately on my to do list.

Thank you all who are so willing to give your time and energy. I too hope this can take place in 2010, at a time of year that allows those of us in the weather extremes to travel safely. This will be so helpful and I am really looking forward to it.

Travel safely Shawn!

Stay tuned folks. I'm in China and have been messaging one of the former instructors (probably :) ) with possibilities. This may take a bit of time, but I think we can do this. Just remember (*cough* *cough* Matt *cough* *cough*), this will be considered a classroom environment for the entire day of instruction. :)

Shawn

Yes dear...

I'll definitely be there, this has been a great thing in my riding life I want to help share it with as many people as possible.

[quote=

Shawn

Have video camera..............will travel!

Kathy,

Another class to think about is The Rider's Workshop. Anyone that learned from Paul Mihalka can't be all that bad. Heck, I learned from Paul and I only got to follow him for a couple miles.

That said, I'm still hoping we can get a Ride Smart class together. More rides and more classes in '10!

Allen

Kathy -

I will chime in and say that I took a Stayin' Safe course 2 years ago and it was well worth it. (I say "a" course because they offer different courses with different things learned depending on which course you take).

Not a cheap course but it was quite good and I learned a lot. And they must be doing something right because 4 out of 6 participants were repeat students!

Jim

Archived