IGNORED

big and bad scuff on painted part

grizzly660fan

on my commute to work this morning the car in the lane next to me chucked some debris (not sure what, it came at me sideways vs head on) and I have some pretty bad scuffing of the paint.

the area is on the right side panel, its taken the pretty blue paint and turned it white. it doesn't look to have gouged deep into the plastic, more of a scuff. its turned white where the impact was. the area is approx 12 sq inches in size right in front of the cylinder.

whatever came at me, hit the bike, bounced down and off my leg and was gone. any suggestions on how to fix my painted parts?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I would go to a good autobody shop and have them look at it. They may be able to buff it out if only the clear coat is scuffed up. If the basecoat is scuffed, you may have to have the panel repainted.

You might even just try rubbing compound with a clean rag and manually work over the damaged surfaces on a spot basis. It would only take a few minutes to try.

It could sound like your paint might even still be there & that the white stuff is from what struck you. In that case the rubbing compound will do wonders. I wonder how often body shops use it instead of repainting....!

thanks for the advice. the event happened on my way to work, so I will get home tonight and inspect closer and try a few things. I had just washed the bike tuesday so its fairly clean and I hope that helped minimize the damage.

I am trying to think who it is that makes a scratch polish/filler that works really well. I want to say Eagle One, but Mothers may as well. Comes in a black tube vice plastic bottle. Have used it on my bike and it hides the scratchs really well. $6 or $7 a tube.

I think Turtle wax makes a color polish (several different colors and you pick the one close to your color) that will also help hide that kind of a scratch.

Archived