IGNORED

Oil Level Window

Marek

It seams that I've a little oil on the outside and around Oil Level Window. I'm not sure how it gets there but it must be leaking a little around the window. Has anyone experience the same problem?

A timely post. Mine also appears to be seeping a little oil as I also have some oil stain around it. I have a spare and will consider replacing it when I change the oil (which is due).

Question is: Are there any tricks to this replacement? Is it easy to get the old one out? Is it straightforward to press the new one in? How tight is the fit?

Are there any tricks to this replacement?

Of course.

Lean bike to the right to lower oil level below the window.

Use red hot nail to poke hole through plastic window.

Turn screw into hole.

Pull on screw head to remove window.

New sight glass should just press in after cleaning window hole.

Stan

I always scratched my head on the position of the oil sight glass on Oilheads. Does any other motor manufacturer in the world use a pressed in plastic plug below the normal level of the oil? It doesn't even screw in, you just tap it in. Do they ever just pop out, or do they normally just leak until you replace them?

I admit, it does give a positive visual feedback that you have the right amount of oil in the engine. But it does seem prone to damage with catastrophic results.

Maybe Ill set up a little aftermarket job of making billet covers for them.

I carry a spare, was told that if I needed one out in the middle of nowhere it would come in handy. Ps. The easy way to check the oil level (I ride a R1100R) is to take out the trusty digital camera and shoot a picture, it works well on the brake fluid level also. No grunting, bending over etc.

in answer to the question about other OEM's using a sight glass? well the answer is yes. I have two Yamaha's with sight glass, and my buddy has a suzuki with sight glass.

I have not had any problems with sight glass popping out or leaking with any of my machines (bmw, yamaha, etc)

thanks!

An 1150 GS owner from my local area had his sight glass window come out while riding out west last summer. The part was not stocked locally in the city where he had his bike towed after breaking down and he had to wait 3 days for one to arrive! Moral of that story is a number of us bought and now carry spares with us. That means we'll probably never need it, which is fine with me.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a "freeze plug"?
from the R bike maintenance archive:

Popped out oil level window, emergency repair:

In a auto parts store (Autozone, NAPA, etc) get a 1.5" adjustable freeze plug. It is hard rubber, with a nut in the center to tighten it.

I always scratched my head on the position of the oil sight glass on Oilheads. Does any other motor manufacturer in the world use a pressed in plastic plug below the normal level of the oil? It doesn't even screw in, you just tap it in. Do they ever just pop out, or do they normally just leak until you replace them?

I admit, it does give a positive visual feedback that you have the right amount of oil in the engine. But it does seem prone to damage with catastrophic results.

Maybe Ill set up a little aftermarket job of making billet covers for them.

Chris,

Take a look at a Ducati, or a Kawasaki KLR 650. They both have a window in the same fashion as the oilhead.

Jim cool.gif

Archived