IGNORED

BMW recalls 2009 K1300GT and K1300S

Deadboy

Sorry if this is a repeat but just in case.....

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):

BMW / K1300 GT 2009

BMW / K1300 S 2009

Manufacturer: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC Mfr's Report Date: SEP 29, 2009

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V384000

N/A

NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH

Potential Number of Units Affected:

Summary:

BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009 MOTORCYCLES. THE SWITCHES ON THE HANDLEBARS FOR BOTH THE DIRECTION INDICATOR AND THE EMERGENCY ENGINE OFF/ENGINE-START FUNCTIONS MAY FAIL.

Consequence:

IN SUCH A CASE, THE DIRECTIONAL INDICATOR AND/OR THE EMERGENCY ENGINE-OFF/START FUNCTIONS WOULD BE RENDERED INOPERATIVE. IN SOME CASES, ENGINE STALLING COULD ALSO RESULT INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE NECESSARY COMPONENTS FREE OF CHARGE. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-831-1117.

Notes:

OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV

Firefight911

Yep, this was the first Achilles' heel to this evolutionary model. It has been a very well publicized and known issue for some time and has been, up until this recall notice, handled at failure and through a service bulletin.

Mine did it, though I blame Twisties for it as he was the last to ride it before my start/kill switch died.

There is also a brake recall to add a sponge to the brake master cylinder to prevent aeration of the brake fluid.

And, there is a service bulletin out for stalling, idling issues. This is temporary as they are still working on a permanent fix. The throttle butterflies will be cleaned and a fuel system cleaner will be added. Mine has had this and it has improved the bike significantly. Time will tell but I surmise it will take an ECU software update to fully rectify the issue.

Thanks for posting Nick!

Yep, this was the first Achilles' heel to this evolutionary model. It has been a very well publicized and known issue for some time and has been, up until this recall notice, handled at failure and through a service bulletin.

Mine did it, .

There is also a brake recall to add a sponge to the brake master cylinder to prevent aeration of the brake fluid.

And, there is a service bulletin out for stalling, idling issues.

But other than that Mrs. Lincoln how was the play?!

Same here - had both swtiches, and the sponge, and the bike stalls happenstancly - still love it though!!

And, there is a service bulletin out for stalling, idling issues. This is temporary as they are still working on a permanent fix. The throttle butterflies will be cleaned and a fuel system cleaner will be added. Mine has had this and it has improved the bike significantly. Time will tell but I surmise it will take an ECU software update to fully rectify the issue.

I really don't get it. First they have all sorts of idle control problems on the 1200, finally get it fixed in the later versions, only to re-introduce a similar and equally widespread problem in the 1300. Do they test these bikes at all before production? :eek:

Firefight911

I really don't get it. First they have all sorts of idle control problems on the 1200, finally get it fixed in the later versions, only to re-introduce a similar and equally widespread problem in the 1300. Do they test these bikes at all before production? :eek:

Of course they do Seth! Just as soon as the beta testers buy them! Tough economic times require tough economic choices!!! :rofl::rofl:

This is clearly the result of BMW going way out on a limb to develop a turn signal switch that integrated both right and left signals into the same darned switch.

When you incorporate bleeding edge design concepts like this into any motorycle, you're sure to run into problems. :rofl:

This is clearly the result of BMW going way out on a limb to develop a turn signal switch that integrated both right and left signals into the same darned switch.

When you incorporate bleeding edge design concepts like this into any motorycle, you're sure to run into problems. :rofl:

You forgot "cancel". That's THREE functions in a single switch! I don't think anything like it has ever been attempted before [by BMW]. No wonder it's giving them fits!

You forgot "cancel". That's THREE functions in a single switch! I don't think anything like it has ever been attempted before [by BMW]. No wonder it's giving them fits!

No doubt a result of factory sabotage by Luddites.

Oh wait, I'm one of them.

The "new" switchgear looks cheap and out of place. Maybe that is why it has problems.

I sure like the new 1300GT but I didn't jump in a buy one as I know things are usually rather tough for BMW Beta Testers.

Yeah for beta testers!!!! :clap:

I sure like the new 1300GT but I didn't jump in a buy one as I know things are usually rather tough for BMW Beta Testers.

Yeah for beta testers!!!! :clap:

Heck yeah!!!! Call us beta testers but we're beta testers with really big grins on our faces.

• 4 weeks later...

Of course they do Seth! Just as soon as the beta testers buy them! Tough economic times require tough economic choices!!! :rofl::rofl:

It appears that the fix, by way of an ECU software update, has arrived!!

CIP 14.2 ECU update is available!!! WOO HOO!!!

BMW reports that it is no longer necessary to clean throttle bodies or add fuel system cleaner!! This update will only be performed upon customer report of issue and/or customer request.

My service advisor states that the updates is listed as fixing, "stalls and uneven throttle/idle situations."

I plan on getting mine down ASAP!! Advisor states it is something that can be done while you wait.

There ya go, hot off the presses!!

CIP 14.2 ECU update is available!!! WOO HOO!!!

Good news and fingers crossed but given BMW's track record over the last few years with regard to fueling issues you might want to hold on the woo hoo's until we know if it really fixes the problem... :Wink:

okay - but is your GT stalling?

Will you get the update if it isn't?

So FAR mine is doing good, I hate to fix something that isn't broken. Should I just let it go?

Mine was good for the first 4000 miles and then it began stalling as you would slow to a stop and downshifted. It did not do it all the time and I learned quickly how to work around it when it began.

This stalling is a global issue and, as a stop gap measure, BMW found that there was a fair amount of assembly lube/grease left behind in the area of the throttle body butterflies. This, in conjunction with a dose of fuel system cleaner really helped mine out. It did not completely cure the issue but helped considerably.

Since mine has stalled subsequent to the stop gap measure, as BMW engineers worked through the real issue, I am going forward with the update.

The real issue has been determined to be an issue of throttle position, rpm, etc. that has created a confusion in the ECU as to what fuel mapping program to utilize in a given situation. This causes an over lean condition that the ECU can not react quickly enough to to prevent a stall under those conditions.

If yours is not an issue, i would leave it alone and not bother with getting the update at this time. Based on past practice, I would surmise that there will probably be other updates down the road that you may benefit from and, when that time comes, you can get a single flash update that will give you the current update as well as this one.

okay - but is your GT stalling?

Will you get the update if it isn't?

So FAR mine is doing good, I hate to fix something that isn't broken. Should I just let it go?

Tina,

My experience with firmware updates is don't do it unless you have an issue. I never updated my 05 GS and never had issues. Others that did update, had issues. Remember, we never updated your ST, and no issues.

Jim :Cool:

My experience with firmware updates is don't do it unless you have an issue.

I'd also agree. It seems that I've read as many complaints after upgrades as I have praises. How many of these post-upgrade maladies are real or imagined I don't know, but as they say... 'if it ain't broke..."

But then again you may not have the choice. BMW designates some upgrades as mandatory and a tech using a GT1 must install them before proceeding with diagnostic or other work. So BMW may make the decision for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I can report that I have now had the update installed on my K13GT.

No matter what I tried, I could not get the bike to so much as hiccup.

The bike operates exactly as it should, IMO, and runs just as it did before the update at speed. Hang on!!

When coming to a stop and squeezing the clutch, the bike is seamless. It is quick revving and when the revs falls back to idle, they do so just as before except, when the bike gets to about 1400 rpm the revs suddenly slow their fall until the settle in to a seamless idle at around 1100rpm. No overshoot, no rough idle, no stalls.

Great thanks to MotoMarin for handling the update!!! In and Out in an hour. No issues and great service. It was good to say Cary (this site's founder).

I'll keep an eye on things but it seems as though it is now the bike I wanted, expected, and was told I was getting!!

Good to hear, Phil!!!

From what I was told, this update is for '09 and'10 K bikes. Since they didn't know what the problem was, some of the '10's had this issue too. KNOCK ON WOOD, mine never has! I have about 4700 miles on it in the past 2 1/2 months and it's been great SO FAR!

I did talk to the service manager yesterday and he suggested that I get the update anyway. He said it smooths out some of the other minor kinks. He didn't pressure me and told me to think about it. He says, it takes about a 1/2 hr to get it done so I can go in anytime, if I change my mind. Right now, I'm in the mindset of "if it's not broke, don't fix it."

Archived