IGNORED

Rear Main seal update

Erichmatt

Ok I replaced the rear main seal with an aftermarket, real oil lip seal. It leaked just as bad as the other seal.

I can think of any thing back there besides the crank case halves that could leak engine oil. Yes it is engine oil I lost a about a pint to half a pint on a 15 miles ride. Something else is making the seal leak. It wouldn't leak that much oil just for installing the seal wrong. Well not unless you installed the seal sidewase or somthing.

Is there any way to check oil for oil leaks with the fly wheel off.. Like put compressed air somwhere and see where it comes out or some such thing.. Idealy I would start the bike with the fly wheel off but I have no idea how that would be possible.. Starting it with the tranny off might be possible.

My guess now is that some of the rubber gasket maker I used to seal betweent the cylenders got sucked some where where it shouldn't go. I cut open the oil filter and found a small piece of it in the filter.. meaning it got circulated through the system..

Does any one know where I could find a digram of where the oil flows through the engine? Or at least high res pictures of the crank case split in half..

I have the single seal design and the crank case vents into the airbox. when the bike is cranked over I can feel a good amount of suction and presure coming from the tube. So the vent isn't pluged

Archived