IGNORED

Aesops Fables: 'Sour Grapes' OR . . . ?

John, Northeast Florida

John, Northeast Florida

For those that remember the old Aesop's Fables story OF the Fox and the Grapes, well, short version is the fox can't jump high enough to get the grapes AND eventually leaves, grumbling, "...they were probably sour!"

Over the course of time there are just some things I can do on a motorcycle, well, and others that are just plain vexing e.g. reading John's thread on training, the 18' wide 'Iron Cross' ain't ever going to be done in my lifetime. Whether it's talent, training, dedication, mental block, whatever. Occasionally it nags in the back of my mind that I'm just not that good a rider! PERIOD! Or perhsps, just a tad of the The Fox and the Grapes. Or, take a look at Chris Pfeiffer on his F800 if you want to feel inadequate (the list goes on N8, V. Rossi) but let's not forget that there are people with talent. Yup, sadly not many of us are that talented, we are just normal, everyday people with average talents!

What's my point? Well, a friend of mine made this comment to me the other day as I was grumbling that my skills on my HP2 Sport were just not up to par, for whatever reasons. His comment helped me (am I the Fox?) as he said, "John, how many people would be glad to just be able to ride a motorcycle and here you are grumbling about your mediocre skills." Hmmm, food for thought!

Am I promoting giving up? Hardly! But, don't be too hard on yourself, I'm trying not to be!!

Francois_Dumas

I agree,we can't be all stars at everything... my take on riding is :

1. don't be a danger to others

2. don't be a danger to yourself

3. ENJOY riding to the limit within those confines :grin:

I agree,we can't be all stars at everything... my take on riding is :

1. don't be a danger to others

2. don't be a danger to yourself

3. ENJOY playing to the limit within those confines :grin:

That sounds like a description of my golf game!

Well at least the fox was jumping to get the grapes.

The fact that he/she, after failing to achieve the goal, excused the lack of ability as the grapes were sour anyway brings up a whole gamut of observations.

I see this all the time at work, the most recent, "I'm just a truck driver." That after an attempt at doing another task on the crew which he just needed to practice at, but he just threw in the towel after the first couple attempts. Although a great driver he isn't going to be anything else with that attitude.

But the adage know your limits, live within it. Can and often is taken too far.

Certainly pushing the limits should only be done in a controlled setting, nice big open parking lot, with trainers helping.

Life can get pretty stagnant if we don't push the boundaries some times.

The decision to abandon the effort should be a conscious one not just a reaction to disappointment.

John, Northeast Florida

Commenting on your own thread smacks a bit of poor taste but will do so regardless. And I suspect others may share this viewpoint, I still can't accept the 'no talent' aspect of which I speak. I naively, foolishly, stubbornly, happily, believe that with enough 'practice' one can indeed do [most] anything; and therein lies the crux of the problem!

Some great replies including some great humor as well!

A very positive thought.

I am 6'2", 190-200 pounds. I could practice until the cows come home, but I doubt that I could ever compete toe-to-toe with Willie Shoemaker on the horse track. I'm just not built right.

I acknowledge that limitation. There are many others.

If you feel that all you lack is practice to develop, there are no other limitations, and you want to do this badly enough, maybe you ought to look into a way to live your dream instead of having this as a sideline.

As an opposite to reflect upon. This brings to mind an instance many years ago, when I invited a friend to play racquetball with me. I loaned him a racquet, told him the rules and gave him a few pointers. I took it easy on him, giving him the opportunity to loosen up and gain confidence. In a few minutes he was running the court, attempting kill shots, back-wall returns, ceiling shots, the works!!!

I escalated my game accordingly to keep him challenged. I had been playing for years; I usually ranked 1,2 or 3 A player during interclub tournaments , and the result was predictable. I beat him 3 for 3. I thought that letting him win a game was condescending.

He broke my racquet against the wall in anger, stormed out of the court furious for not having been capable of winning even one game. He never played again; our friendship fizzled.

I lost a racquet and a friend, but learned that some people don't know that talent is 1% a gift, 99% hard work. I still miss the racquet.

John,

I was riding a ski lift at Alpine Meadows, CA, many years ago. Next to me was a guy I had seen zooming down to the lift, looked very good, probably about 30. On the ride, he was complaining that 'I can't ski like I used to when I was 18'. 'Yeah, no kidding', I said. 'But it's pointless to look at it that way. You'd be better off comparing yourself to others in your age/experience category if you must compare. Personally, I don't care if I'm as good as someone else, only that I do my best and accept the result.' He stared at me for a long moment and then said, 'You're right, thanks'.

Your friend's comment was right on point as well. Just riding takes you out of the ordinary.

CoarsegoldKid

Let me just add a bit of perspective from my point of view. I'm a better rider now then at any other time since 1965. I'm just not as brave or stupid.

Let me just add a bit of perspective from my point of view. I'm a better rider now then at any other time since 1965. I'm just not as brave or stupid.

Danny and I had almost that exact same conversation the other night. It's interesting to me how in part the fact that I am NOT as crazy brave as I used to be has made me become a better rider.

Well,

Here's my take for what it's worth.

If I were riding an HP2 Sport, I would be lucky to be able to ride it 6 or 7 tenths of it's capabilities. That's on a good day...

Thing is, I'd be riding an HP2 Sport.

And I'd be having a BLAST!

:grin:

John,

I met this guy on Friday night at a detail that I worked. Things you can not see is that he has no arms or legs. On his right arm it only goes to his forearm. He is from Russia and spoke very good English. He just got here and this was his second day visiting. He was being pushed by a person, but as we got into the position he took that forearm and with lighting speed pushed that wheelchair into position.

Once done, I handed him on of our challenge coin. You would thing that I gave him a million dollars. He had the biggest smile on his face. He hugged me and told me I was a "great man" in his Russian accent.

I thought to myself, no he was a unbelievable man, to have this handicap and just be full of life as he was. We, take things for granted and it is people like the Russian I met on Friday night, to make it clear for, me, the things I can/have in life.

4675.jpg.cc81395fc5d3e37b0ce85d8a554d4907.jpg

John, Northeast Florida
John,

I met this guy on Friday night at a detail that I worked. Things you can not see is that he has no arms or legs. On his right arm it only goes to his forearm. He is from Russia and spoke very good English. He just got here and this was his second day visiting. He was being pushed by a person, but as we got into the position he took that forearm and with lighting speed pushed that wheelchair into position.

Once done, I handed him on of our challenge coin. You would thing that I gave him a million dollars. He had the biggest smile on his face. He hugged me and told me I was a "great man" in his Russian accent.

I thought to myself, no he was a unbelievable man, to have this handicap and just be full of life as he was. We, take things for granted and it is people like the Russian I met on Friday night, to make it clear for, me, the things I can/have in life.

Right on John. Sadly, our humanity offers us 'greatness' some of the time and also is at times an 'anchor' around our necks. Take the quadraplegic of which you speak, wow, greatness! In the same breath, and I speak for myself, I can go home and grumble about something ridiculous. You're looking pretty good JP but then again, good initials!

What's my point? Well, a friend of mine made this comment to me the other day as I was grumbling that my skills on my HP2 Sport were just not up to par, for whatever reasons.

I don't think your freinds comments would have been much help. However, I would like to know what (or even whose) par you are not up to?

I do enrol on rider training. I do it because I want to know that I'm safe (which I choose to define as having no dangerous habits whatsoever) on my own and riding in a group with others (and my beloved other half wants to know that I'm safe). When I know that I am safe, then I can enjoy my riding.

Regards,

John

John, Northeast Florida
What's my point? Well, a friend of mine made this comment to me the other day as I was grumbling that my skills on my HP2 Sport were just not up to par, for whatever reasons.

I don't think your freinds comments would have been much help. However, I would like to know what (or even whose) par you are not up to?

I do enrol on rider training. I do it because I want to know that I'm safe (which I choose to define as having no dangerous habits whatsoever) on my own and riding in a group with others (and my beloved other half wants to know that I'm safe). When I know that I am safe, then I can enjoy my riding.

Regards,

John

I think you've missed the point of my threadstarter, which of course is my fault, not yours. Specifically, the point had nothing to do with [absolute] riding skills, safety, nor types of bikes. It really had to do with comparing skills with others and perhaps perceiving oneself falling short; and, a quick reminder that it's a 'relative' world and we should be thankful and not forget that we're indeed fortunate to be riding motorycles.

Archived