IGNORED

bonehead update

phoenixtexas

Sincere thanks to all who came to my aid. Merrin at Plano (TX) BMW graciously solved the situation without a trip to Dallas. He said not to loosen the tensioner under any circumstances. The rail guide is held in place by two bolts, not one, so it won't slide into the engine. I put a thin screwdriver into the guide rail bolt hole, pulled off the black cam cover and then very slowly, very minutely rotated the engine using the alternator bolt until I started to feel slack in the cam chain. It didn't take much. I made a tool from a thin steel rod to go down into the tunnel via the cam cover hole, lifted the rail to align the holes, and the bolt went right back in. BMW needs to put a Torx bolt or other bonehead-proof arrangement there.

ShovelStrokeEd

El Senor Heuso Pista,

BMW doesn't need to do anything. You need to learn what you are doing before pulling out bolts. With the amount of information available on the internet about these bikes, the procedure, with illustrations, for just about everything has been covered somewhere.

Geez, Ed. At least use a smiley. He admits he's a bonehead--I don't know that we need to scare off the noobs who really need help.

Have some more coffee. grin.gif

Tony,

Glad you got it back together, nice work.

Ignore Ed's attitude (but not his advice!). He really IS the "Village Grouch." wink.gif If a very smart one at that.

El Senor Heuso Pista,

BMW doesn't need to do anything. You need to learn what you are doing before pulling out bolts. covered somewhere.

i'm laughing my ass of right now and glad it's not me grin.gif. and kudo's to bonehead for asking, attacking and fixing. thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Mmmmmmm, yeah, I forgot the most important part.

Well done boney. thumbsup.gif

Big pissing match over on the 1100S site has me more than a bit grumpy lately.

Thanks to all for the responses, even the grumpies. I deserved the tongue lashing for doing something stupid, but it was also a valuable learning experience in mechanical problem solving that didn't wind up costing me. I'm sure I'll do more stupid things in the future, but I'll do them away from the oilhead. The bike runs fine.

Archived