IGNORED

R12RT Electrical Connection For V1

dougv

For an R12RT, I need a switched power source for a Valentine V1 that comes on with the ignition. On my K12GT I used parking light bulb circuit which was pretty easy to find and access. The V1 is fused, but with the CAN-Bus I'm not sure about adding additional electrical accessories. Has anyone done this?

Thanks

You could safely come off of the power wire for the accessory outlet. Also some people say no but you can tap the light wires for power. I added a marine fuse panel under the seat. Main power comes from the battery to a relay then switched power from the rear accessory outlet wire powers up the relay with the key. This way I can add extra gadgets without tapping into the bike wires. The only draw back is when several devices are powered up the accessory outlets stay on for a longer period of time after the key is turned off. It's a quirk of the system as my 12GS was the same.

Dave - When you said the accessory outlets stay active longer, how much longer are you talking about. Have you measured the time it stays active? I wonder why this would cause the outlets to stay on longer? I guess, depending on the accessories you're running, it could drain the battery. Could you give me some more info on the marine fuse panel, relay, and wiring, like where I can get them.

Thanks.

Doug I bought everything at Two wheel Innovations. I used the Blue Sea fuse block along with a water proof relay and harness. Touratech also has THIS setup out for the 12GS that could be adapted to the 12RT. If I have both my V1 and XM on the accessory will stay powered up for about 10 minutes. Only one of the units and it will only stay powered up for a couple of minutes. I don't know what the logic on it is confused.gif but the TT unit will go on and off immediately. It wasn't available when I bought my fuse block and stuff or I probably would have went that route.

Archived