IGNORED

Anyone for some Punkin Chunkin???

ltljohn

Ooh, my favorite redneck cultural event. I've only been once, but it was a total hoot -- especially the diesel-powered centrifugal.

Punkin Chunkin attracts huge crowds, so finding a place to stay in middle Delaware might be iffy. My mother runs a B&B in New Castle, which isn't too far away. She's got about 6 guest rooms, including a small suite on the third floor with (if I remember correctly 3 beds in 2 rooms. She's 88 and a little eccentric, but if you mention my name (Selden Deemer), she may cut you some slack. She also has some 3-bedroom duplexes that may have rooms available, although these are usually for shot-term rentals, rather than overnights. Although she has a web site, she doesn't do e-mail, and doesn't take plastic; cash or check only.

Took a little morning ride out to Greenfield, NH, home of world champion trebuchet Yankee Siege. Last year they set the record at 1,897 feet!

They're doing afternoon demos every weekend afternoon until Halloween. I was too early for the show, but took a couple of pictures and chatted with the operator who was more than willing to answer questions. He says they'll be dismantling the machine after Halloween and then head down to Delaware to defend their championship. There's a link to a slide show picturing the assembly, operation and dis-assembly on the website in the "Photos & Videos" section.

This is what it looks like up close:

20091011columbusweekend.jpg

Just kidding ;)

Here's the real thing.

20091011columbusweekendf.jpg

Pretty impressive in person. They use a hydraulic pump to crank it into firing position. Normally they run about 20,000 lb. counterweights but can bump it up to 30,000 if desired. The little one has 200 lb. counterweights and was built as a toy, but the owner felt it was too dangerous so he donated it to Yankee Farmer.

Here's the "Castle on the Hill". This place is kind of like a farm stand on steroids with a medieval theme. I think we'll have to go back next weekend and watch them chunk a few punkins!

20091011columbusweekend.jpg

Although the air cannons shoot pumpkins the longest distances, the other devices are more fun to watch because you can actually see the pumpkin fly. The trick with air cannons is keeping the muzzle velocity subsonic; otherwise you end up with pie in the sky.

q36.jpg

Hmm.... I'm getting new tires on October 31. Should I ride to Delaware?

Bring your heated gear......they are already calling for temps to dip into the mid/low 30's this week. Damn, its getting cold early this year. Not a good sign.

Gotta be an intellectual pursuit. Out West in Salinas we went to a pumpkin fair. Saw some big dude 600+ LB pumpkins. My Son-in-law grew a decent one in Orange county and was hitting up the experts on techniques.

I've seen potato guns but a pumpkin gun, now that's gtta be a sight!

• 4 weeks later...

I had seen photos of the Yankee Siege trebuchet previously -- someone who builds a web site dedicated to their trebuchet might be a little obsessive.

Results. Looks like this year's chunkin was the first trebuchet to exceed 2000 feet. Only one of the air cannons went beyond 4000 feet. The air cannons get more attention, but the trebuchets are more fun to watch.

Maybe next year.

Nice find, Selden.

According to the site, November 26th at 8:00 p.m. Science Channel will begin airing Punkin Chunkin! Just in time to have some pie!

Archived