IGNORED

R1200RT Exhaust Options

Old Bill

Good afternoon all.

I just obtained a 2009 R1200RT and am very impressed so far. The only issue is it sounds a bit like a lawnmower compared to my H-D's.

You all are experts compared to me. What are my options or choices? I've found Remus & Akrapovic but am unfamiliar with these brands.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Bill

You will never achieve the howl of your Screamin Eagle Harley...

Sound sample

You can change out the headers and muffler or just the muffler (slip-on). If you change out the headers you will elmininate the catalytic converter.

Manufacturers

Sebring - Touratech

Ztechnik - Ztechnik

Remus - Remus

Staintune - Staintune

Akrapovic - Akrapovic

My opinion shared with many others on this board:

Learn to enjoy the quiet precision of your RT. You've got a Harley and a Buell, don't try to turn your RT into one of them.

Firefight911

Good post Taptio.

I would add to caution any marketing out there that is gonna profess all this HP gain, blah, blah, blah. It is just that, marketing. Yes, there is a weight saving over the stock, but only a dyno will show you any potential gain and, at best, it will be minimal and imperceptible to your butt dyno gauge.

You are gonna gain a different look and a more wet fart sound than stock.

Just ride and enjoy! Spend the money on good tires and/or a track day. You'll get more out of your hard earned money.

My opinion shared with many others on this board:

Learn to enjoy the quiet precision of your RT. You've got a Harley and a Buell, don't try to turn your RT into one of them.

Thanks for the great information. I believe I'll take your advice as I am enjoying hearing myself think on the ride to work.

Bill

I came to the 1200 Boxer (R1200ST) from a 1700cc Metric that sounded fantastic. My first thought upon hearing the flat-twin was "out of tune tractor"; and that was just the printable part.

Your boxer will always sound odd. Much like the idiosyncracies of other bikes, it's part of the "soul" of the machine.

Recently I put on a Remus Revolution full system (headder and can). I was hoping for a better overall sound, but the main reasn I did it was to lighten up the bike, and *maybe* get a few HP for WOT passes at freeway speed. I got the latter, barely, and it is certainly lighter, but sound?

"a more wet fart sound than stock" ...is completely correct. If you like your flatulence without pants, you will be excited about a new can for your RT. If not...

Keep yer pants on!

JT

PS: Welcoem to the board!

Hmm, well just so's the 'part of motorcycling allure' doesn't get overwhelmed by the 'the quieter the better' group...I have a full Lazer titanium system on my '05 RT and love it. OK I haven't had it on a dyno, the nearest one is a 5 hr drive each way and quite honestly that wasn't the reason I changed, but the bike is noticeable lighter, lofts the front wheel easily, ( that WAS a surprise the first time...), and I really, really like the more 'authoritative' sound.

It certainly doesn't intrude into my protected ears inside my helmet, and I have never had anything more than a curious, ( as in ' boy that sounds neat for a BMW' ) look. Plus it looks infinitely better than the 'chrome canon' that comes on the stock bike. It just makes me smile when I hear it running with that low rumble.

I did try running without the 'insert' for a few thousand kms but had my fill and found the 'street' setup is just fine. I can live without that raucous racket :-).

Just my humble opinion of course...

Jim

Bill, just like the Ducati or the old Harley that sounds great with just about any exhaust on it in my opinion the BMW boxer doesn’t sound good with any noisy exhaust on it.. The newer BMW boxer firing pulses just aren’t conducive to sounding pleasant..

You can get louder & harsher but to me anyhow,, not pleasing..

If you want to play cheaply just remove the muffler & install a straight pipe directly on the cat.. the cat does a pretty good job of taking a lot of the excessive noise out of the exhaust so it will be ridable..

If you like the sound then look for a baffled muffler that gets you want you want..

Twisty

Bill

You will notice on the Staintune site the staintune muffler with the restrictor in is QUIETER than standard but a much better sound. I have one and am happy, does not sound like a sewing machine.

Ian

Bill

You will notice on the Staintune site the staintune muffler with the restrictor in is QUIETER than standard but a much better sound. I have one and am happy, does not sound like a sewing machine.

Ian

Bill, Like Ian I too have a full Staintune kit on a 2006 R1200RT. I does add a couple of horses, the power additiona is almost noticeable and has a pleasant note; a bit better than the "sewing machine" sound. You can ride with the baffle out but after a couple of hours of it droning on I put it back in, it just isn't appropriate for long distance riding and besdides I could hear my music!

Richard.

There is a good deal of "culture shock" coming from Harley. I remember when I got my RT after having a Harley for 8 years, one of my first posts here was about how to open up the intake, open up the exhaust, etc. etc. I'm glad I got the advice to just ride the bike as-is for awhile, and THEN decide if any changes were required. After you get used to it, you realize that it doesn't necessarily need to be "improved" - just enjoyed for what it is, which is a helluva bike.

-MKL

I have a staintune on my 96RT that sounds less like a fart pipe on a ricer car but is still barely any louder than stock. It sounds good when you wring a big handful of throttle out of it, but otherwise, I don't think I'd spend the money on it.

Actually, my 12GS is LOUDER than the RT with the pipe now that I think of it...

Archived