IGNORED

Maintenance comparison k1200 gt and k1300gt

yabadabapal

Im curious about the difference between maintenance (do it yourself type) of the 1200 (2003-2004) and 1300 (2008-2009). I know the 1300 is probably the more magnificent machine. But as far as Doing your own maintenance does anyone have any facts or theories about which one has the least amount of difficulties and or which one is more likely to be able to be self serviced by an amateur wannabe mechanic, (Just Learning)

Thanks

Absolutely the same except there is no pressure test for the brakes on the K13.

All doable maintenance. Major are more involved than the boxers, of course, but are all owner doable.

Limecreek is very versed on K bike maintenance. If he sees this he can give you some nuggets but they are applicable to the K13 equally.

If you're talking about the new-generation K bikes that would be 2006-2008 for the 1200 and 2009- for the 1300. Both bikes are essentially the same when it comes to maintenance chores, which can be more or less difficult than an R-bike depending on what maintenance you're doing. The K bikes actually require less maintenance per mile of operation but when a major service does come up it's more involved than on the R-bikes. As Phil noted quite doable though... I'm currently in the middle of my first valve check on a K1200GT, not too bad so far. Will post some pictures when I'm done.

That would be great smiller. Ill look forward to see some pics when your ready. My goal is to learn about motorcycles, how they work, why they work the way they do, and how to work on them. Sounds ridiculous but the only place I can start is at the bottom or the beginning in this case. Then, once Ive got some relative mechanical skills, and some riding skills, I will take some trips with some knowledge and confidence that I can take care of myself and my machine.

Thanks again

That would be great, smiller. I'll look forward to see some pics when you're ready.

And a big +1 for that! (With some punctuation and grammar fixes. :wave: )

That would be great, smiller. I'll look forward to see some pics when you're ready.

And a big +1 for that! (With some punctuation and grammar fixes. :wave: )

+2

yabadabapal, I don't know what you ride or rode before considering the K1200-K1300GT, but what I can tell you is this. I rode a 2002 R1150RT up untill I had to have the 2008 GT. Maintenance on the RT was a snap, I even did my own valves. Now, about the GT, general maintenance, even changing the oil is a big pain in the ASS. BMW has made maintenance on the GT as difficult as possible!! Lets say you want to change your final drive fluid; on the RT you just took out the plug and drained the final drive, not on the GT. You must remove the brake caliper and turn the entire unit upside down in order to drain and change the fluid. How about the spark plugs? Take off all the plastic, remove the radiator and your are halfway there!! So, anyone that tells you maintenance on a GT is a snap probably hasn't worked on one much. <<<>>

I rode a 2000 R1100RT for 8 years and did all the maintenance on it. I have a 2009 K1300GT. The maintenance on it is less per mile but when you need to do anything it's a lot of work. An oil and filter change is about an hour or more. You have to remove the lower plastic, the seats and the side stand. You have to drain the sump of the engine and then feed a tube down between the exhaust and tire and frame to drain the oil tank. Oil runs all over the exhaust pipe from the sump and filter. Valve adjustment has both camshaft to be removed and shims exchaanged too make the adjustment. Take the R to learn.

Hey, thanks to all, for all the great input on this matter at hand.

Great input and suggestions. I got time before I make my decision.

My goal is to have one 04 GT and one 04 RT. In my opinion, they are both equally the sexiest, most beautiful freakin machines I have ever seen in my life. Ok, I'll stop there.

Thanks again.

yabadabapal, I don't know what you ride or rode before considering the K1200-K1300GT, but what I can tell you is this. I rode a 2002 R1150RT up untill I had to have the 2008 GT. Maintenance on the RT was a snap, I even did my own valves. Now, about the GT, general maintenance, even changing the oil is a big pain in the ASS. BMW has made maintenance on the GT as difficult as possible!! Lets say you want to change your final drive fluid; on the RT you just took out the plug and drained the final drive, not on the GT. You must remove the brake caliper and turn the entire unit upside down in order to drain and change the fluid. How about the spark plugs? Take off all the plastic, remove the radiator and your are halfway there!! So, anyone that tells you maintenance on a GT is a snap probably hasn't worked on one much. <<<>>

On the 09 1300 GT you do not have to drop the rear drive or remove the speed sensor.

The rear drive oil is drained from the bottom and the filled thru a plug at the 1 oclock position.

You do have to drop the drive if you want to lube the splines but you have to do that to all of them for this excercise.

Have removed all the plastic to do a full farkle install - not a big deal just take your time and record where the bolts go - one good thing different between the GT and RT is that the plastic retaining bolts are all T-25 with varying length where as the RT is different sizes

Have not done an oil change, again no big deal, different process - easier though on the RT

Brakes - straight forward

Brake fluid - straight forward.

Valve Check/Adjust - much more involved - will probably check myself - if they need adj I may go to the dealer.

They are different - some things are easier on one than the other - as they are totally different bikes I would expect that but would not shy away.

You have to drain the sump of the engine and then feed a tube down between the exhaust and tire and frame to drain the oil tank. Oil runs all over the exhaust pipe from the sump and filter.

Do yourself a favor and pick up one of the suction tank oil removal devices, makes short work of the job.

I am not mechanically inclined at all, so I take my bike (R1200RT) to an independent tech (BMW Master Tech and former head tech at the local BMW dealer). I asked him for his opinion on maintenance on the new K bikes (1200/1300) vs. the 1200-series boxers. I'm paraphrasing here, but it was quite clear that, in his view, the K bikes were much more of a PITA to service than the boxers. Maybe his view is skewed by the fact he works on these things every day; I don't know.

I'm paraphrasing here, but it was quite clear that, in his view, the K bikes were much more of a PITA to service than the boxers.

They quite clearly are, at least for things like valve checks. But then again they need those checks less often (although I'd admittedly still rather deal with a R-bike even if twice as often as the K.) And valve checks are not the only maintenance required, how many of us have had to literally split our R bikes in two to do a spline lube, replace a clutch or a seal, etc. Plus TB syncs and other such fiddling on the R, nonexistent on the K, and so on.

So while I'd definitely agree that the R-bikes are much easier to work on I'm not sure which bike would actually consume the highest total hours of maintenance over, say, 100k miles.

Do yourself a favor and pick up one of the suction tank oil removal devices, makes short work of the job.

Do you have any recommendations on product suggestions as I am coming up to an oil change either via milage or before i put the bike away for the winter.

Thanks

I keep hearing about "an oil tank suction device". Is this something available through an auto parts dealer or is it a bike thing. I asked the NAPA guy for one and he sold me a suction bulb, two pieces of hose and a couple of hose clamps. It is kind of crude, but works ok. However, I am left with the since that I am not getting all of the old oil out of the tank, or does that matter? On my 1991 HD,FXSTC, I actually run the bike with the filter off for a few seconds. It is suprising how much old oil is removed. I tried that once on an RT and a blast of high pressure air shot into the oil pan splattering oil every where. It would probably be an equally bad idea on a K bike. Is there a more high tech unit that will get all of the old oil out of the tank? <<<>>>

Here are some links below, they come in many configurations and price ranges. I own the one in the last link which is powered by shop air, but that's because I use it on other vehicles for things like coolant changes and need the capacity. For a simple oil change the inexpensive ones work fine. Another good source for this stuff is Tooltopia, fast shipping and even better prices than Amazon. You can also often find them at auto parts stores, I even noticed one in Pep Boys.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AXBO5

http://www.amazon.com/Pela-Oil-Extractor-6-liter/dp/B0000BYO97/ref=pd_sbs_auto_6

http://www.amazon.com/MityVac-7400-Fluid-Evacuator-Liter/dp/B001DUPP3S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1254934262&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7300-PneumatiVac-Air-Operated-Evacuator/dp/B000JFN9WW/ref=reg_hu-wl_mrai-recs

Almost any boat/marine supply dealer will have an oil suction device. On many boats with inboard/outboard motors it is the only way to change the oil.

Here are some links below, they come in many configurations and price ranges. I own the one in the last link which is powered by shop air, but that's because I use it on other vehicles for things like coolant changes and need the capacity. For a simple oil change the inexpensive ones work fine. Another good source for this stuff is Tooltopia, fast shipping and even better prices than Amazon. You can also often find them at auto parts stores, I even noticed one in Pep Boys.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AXBO5

http://www.amazon.com/Pela-Oil-Extractor-6-liter/dp/B0000BYO97/ref=pd_sbs_auto_6

http://www.amazon.com/MityVac-7400-Fluid-Evacuator-Liter/dp/B001DUPP3S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1254934262&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7300-PneumatiVac-Air-Operated-Evacuator/dp/B000JFN9WW/ref=reg_hu-wl_mrai-recs

Update - just pulled the trigger on the 7400, i got the added capacity to do the cars, hopefully i wont have buyers remorse for the shop air one!!

Thanks again!

Update - just pulled the trigger on the 7400, i got the added capacity to do the cars, hopefully i wont have buyers remorse for the shop air one!!

Thanks again!

Just got an email alert saying it shipped.

Smiller - thanks for the links and the great sources!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

OK, now you can get this and do your brake bleeds as well. But check out your current purchase before you order, several of the Mityvac models already come with a brake bleeding attachment.

Archived