IGNORED

PBS Series:

Shaman97

Ken Burns has hit a home run again.

Locally, PBS has been airing this for the past two nights; not sure if the rest of the country's schedule is the same. I've been anticipating this series for the past few months, and by judging the first two installments, I'm not disappointed.

Admittedly, I just returned from a trip where I visited three NP's and was in awe at each one for different reasons so this series is just adding to my enjoyment of the NP's.

If you get a chance to watch it, I highly recommend it.

Yes, we've watched the first two episodes too. Very well done and quite informative. It is scheduled every night this week through Friday (at least locally).

I too have really enjoyed the first two episodes.

This spring I visited five National Parks and was just amazed at the beauty and scale of the parks! It's nice to get some of the history that you don't really get on a ride through the parks.

Ever since I got back I've been tell people they have to make the trip west and see some of spectacular sites!

This was what inspired me to make the trip!

Picture253.jpg

I've gotta watch them. I watched the "previews" of them and really have to watch the full episodes.

If you can't watch on the telly, the episodes are available at the website the day after they air.

Netflix reports that the DVD set releases on 10/06/09. That'll most likely be how I see this. Looking forward to it.

I've been to most of the National Parks. I'm sure I'll find Ken Burns' documentary very enjoyable.

If it's as good as the baseball series, it'll be a homerun... :grin:

I too will probably catch this series on DVD.

While we're on the subject of National Parks, thank god our forefathers had enough foresight and intelligence to propose socially radical idea's of places set aside so people could enjoy nature.. :thumbsup:

Now, I'm gonna go hug that tree out back. :D

MB>

Just got back from a week hiking in Yosemite on Sunday night and then started watching this on Monday night. Great series highlighting a unique “New World” concept of setting aside land to be protected as a resource for all the people of the country.

Have now watched 3 episodes in 2 nights but may have to by the DVD set to see the whole thing.

Wonderful photography, video, writing and narration.

Mike Cassidy

While we're on the subject of National Parks, thank god our forefathers had enough foresight and intelligence to propose socially radical idea's of places set aside so people could enjoy nature.. :thumbsup:

Actually that statement is really the crux of the first two episodes, at least, and can't be overstated. It's surprising how close the whole concept came to failure.

Watched a couple of episodes of this last week , excellent series.

We did a six week two family two car holiday of quite a few of the national parks from San Diego upto Jasper , Yellowstone, Yosemite , Death Valley , Glacier ,etc really enjoyed it.

Haven't checked but is this the same crew that presented a series on the US Civil War , that was an absolutely brilliant series and we used some of the information to plan part of our holiday around New Orleans and places east.

I have just taken out of my drawer an envelope containing two 58 caliber bullets designed by Captain Minie. Bought them at James Cohen and Sons, Rare Coins- Antique Weapons and Jewelry , Royal Street, New Orleans {written on envelope, memory not that good}both bullets look like they hit something.

While we're on the subject of National Parks, thank god our forefathers had enough foresight and intelligence to propose socially radical idea's of places set aside so people could enjoy nature.. thumbsup

What struck me about last nights episode was the comment that until FDR took over the White House, not a single dime of US money was used to purchase land or install infrastructure. It was all donations, the largest donations coming from the Rockefellers. I believe by this time we were well into nearly a dozen national parks.

I find the work of Ken Burns to be like really good fudge. At first it is wonderful, but they quality is so good that I am soon sated. And then I eat a bit more, and grow tired of it. And then I eat still more, and get sick of it.

This series should have been presented on consecutive Sundays, not on consecutive evenings. My PVR is half-full of it, but I am going to set it aside for later viewing. Those who take the DVD approach are wise. Plus, they don't have to look at the station logo on top of the beautiful images.

Actually that statement is really the crux of the first two episodes, at least, and can't be overstated. It's surprising how close the whole concept came to failure.

Yep. If it hadn't been for John Muir and Teddy Roosevelt, none of those NPs and National Monuments and National Forests we enjoy would be there, or so it seems from the show. Really interesting to see what a big part TR played.

Hmm. Not to be political...but I wonder if our present day polititians would have made the same difficult decisions that have given us the enduring legacy of our national parks.

The strangest thing about the parks to me is how few of my neighbors have ever been to one. When I go I seem to see many peeps from outside our borders taking advantage of what Teddy built. I don't think we market them very well. Look how many commercials we see for Vegas, Disney World, and Sandles Resorts. The Parks rarely run specials or packages with activities. I think with a little work they could be so much more. Then again, I like being the only one in Big Bend in the Winter.

The strangest thing about the parks to me is how few of my neighbors have ever been to one. When I go I seem to see many peeps from outside our borders taking advantage of what Teddy built. I don't think we market them very well. Look how many commercials we see for Vegas, Disney World, and Sandles Resorts. The Parks rarely run specials or packages with activities. I think with a little work they could be so much more. Then again, I like being the only one in Big Bend in the Winter.

That surprises me too, and +1 for being in the parks off season.

Apparently many people have a much different appetite for nature than I do. One day I was at a scenic overlook in Rocky Mountain NP, enjoying the view and thinking I could just sit there all day. Up rolls a car with out-of-state plates. A couple gets out, walks to the sign describing how glaciers carved the valley and one of them says "OK, whatever, let's go." Gone in 30 seconds. Things like that have happened more times than I can count. Different strokes, I guess.

Apparently many people have a much different appetite for nature than I do. One day I was at a scenic overlook in Rocky Mountain NP, enjoying the view and thinking I could just sit there all day. Up rolls a car with out-of-state plates. A couple gets out, walks to the sign describing how glaciers carved the valley and one of them says "OK, whatever, let's go." Gone in 30 seconds. Things like that have happened more times than I can count. Different strokes, I guess.

Sometimes it's a matter of not haivng enough vaction time. I only had 5 hours available to roll through RMNP, stop for dinner at the town a the other end (I forget the name) and ride back before dark. To have more time, I would have needed to cut out Aspen, Pike's Peak, or some other parts of our trip. He**, it was the last week in May around Memorial Day so I was lucky most of the passes were open anyway. Actually one of hte best parts of our trip (it was our honeymoon) was being able to go for a morning jog along a gorgous trail along the river in Aspen. Actully, I ran up a goat trial and wasn't used to running up such long hills, and ended up strianing a calf muscle. That goat trail must have covered 1000' of elevation in just 1 mile... where my normal runing route in Iowa only has a couple 200' hills.

But I agree, some folks don't seem to enjoy nature all that much. Mosr of a been there, done that...chekc it off my list attitude. I wonder how many of those people would travel to France or Germany, then eat dinner at a McDonalds and do nothing but visit the "major" tourist sights, and ignore the real culture.

I will admit, I haven't yet had the opportunity to head out west and see most of the big national parks like Yellowstone. Now that I have 3 weeks of vacation, it's on the radar. I think once our daughter if maybe 4 years old and can enjoy a trip like that a little more, we'll start planning those trips. My wife also hasn't been to the northeast or Canada, so that's on the list as well.

So, it occurred to me to list how many American national parks I have visited with my wife in the last 17 years. All of these were more than drive-throughs. Probably the most impressive to me were the Grand Canyon and Carlsbad Caverns. On vacation, we value beauty and eduaction. Some national parks provide one, some the other, and most provide both.

We, of course, do not live in the united States.

Carlsbad Caverns National Park

Crater Lake National Park

Glacier National Park

Grand Canyon National Park

Haleakala National Park

Lassen Volcanic National Park

North Cascades National Park

Petrified Forest National Park

Bandelier National Monument

Montezuma Castle National Monument

Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument

Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument