IGNORED

Aux fuel tank for R1200RT?

KTsRidin

So, a while back I remember seeing an auxiliary fuel tank for the R1200RT that was made so that it fit where the passenger seat would go and looked like a part of the bike. Anyone else recall seeing such a thing and can point me toward it?

During the 100CCC there were a few times I would have liked to extend my trip between stops a bit, so now I'm looking at options (yeah, I thought about slowing down, but .... ).

Thanks!

Kirsten

The one I saw was form fitted to the bike and color matched. One of those things that if you didn't know what you were looking at you'd think it was just come part of the bike.

Your's is a nice set-up. Gives you not only more fuel, but more places to stick all those little things that get lost on the bike.

Thanks!

Rocket_Cowboy

Hmmm ... I've seen form fitted cells on FJRs that effectively replace the luggage rack on the back, using the Dean Tanji design, but don't think I've seen one of them cross over to the RTs yet. I'm not sure I've seen a passenger seat mounted tank that blended in.

If you find pics anyway, shoot 'em here. I'd be interested to see that.

• 2 months later...
Hmmm ... I've seen form fitted cells on FJRs that effectively replace the luggage rack on the back, using the Dean Tanji design, but don't think I've seen one of them cross over to the RTs yet. I'm not sure I've seen a passenger seat mounted tank that blended in.

I think the issue with crossing over a Tanji-type cell is the cost of designing and fabricating it. Somebody who's a skilled metalworker and welder could build one easily, but going into small-scale production introduces a lot of costs and complications that you just won't sell enough fuel cells to make it worthwhile. Plus, the Tanji cell was so specifically designed for the FJR (physically and capacity-wise) that adapting it to another bike would be a complete redesign.

If somebody could do a semi-universal passenger-seat or luggage rack cell - a shape that fits on a passenger seat or luggage rack better, a design that can be easily modified for 3 or 4 gallons or whatever, perhaps by changing the height - there might be something there.

I wonder if the Corbin Smuggler could be adapted to carry a fuel bladder/cell?

Hm. Corbin lists the volume as 14 liters, which is 3.69 gallons. On top of the 7.1 stock capacity, that's 10.79 gallons, which is a little short of the maximum 11.5 for IBR rules, but in the ballpark.

What I would be concerned about would be this sentence from the IBA site:

If it's a system that contains a bladder, we will allow a somewhat flexible metal enclosure.

I don't know if that means (a) if it has a bladder and if it has a metal enclosure, the metal can be somewhat flexible or (b) if it has a bladder, it must have a metal enclosure, which is allowed to be somewhat flexible. Obviously it would be appropriate to have some discussion with the IBA staff before spending $800 on a Smuggler and who knows how much on the bladder and piping, if one were contemplating ever riding in events subject to those rules. Obviously if one doesn't care about the IBA rules, one could ride around with a 5 gallon plastic gas can bungeed to the passenger seat.

I'm wondering if it would sit too low for a gravity feed...

I actually wondered that about Charlie's setup. It's hard to tell from the photos how high the cell is relative to the fitting in the tank.

But I also would have to think more about hose size, and flow, and whether you need you actually have the fuel from the aux tank fill the main tank, or if just keeping up with the fuel being used by the fuel pump on the bike is enough.

Okay, so who engineering the perfect rig for me?! Tank size, hose size, routing, where to plug into the tank/line....

Anyone want to give it a go?

• 1 year later...

We are setting up a RT for this years Iron Butt. Your pictures were very helpful. Sent you a PM, but if you or anyone else could help me identify the fitting used (or one similar) in your pictures to tap into the stock fuel tank it would be greatly appreciated. What it is, where to get one, and any tips on installing would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Joel

• 2 weeks later...
We are setting up a RT for this years Iron Butt. Your pictures were very helpful. Sent you a PM, but if you or anyone else could help me identify the fitting used (or one similar) in your pictures to tap into the stock fuel tank it would be greatly appreciated. What it is, where to get one, and any tips on installing would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Joel

I set up my R1200RT with a fuel cell. It passed the IBA Tech. I T-ed into the Fuel injection return line and run it on gravity feed. Here are pictures. (Yes...I DO have a fuel pump under the seat but seldom use it.) http://www.ldcomfort.com/mario/fuelcell.html

Archived