IGNORED

I think I am getting a Harley!!

motorman587

Yup, you heard it correctly. Our dealer has or is closing. I have two BMWs and will trade/sell my LT for an Electra Glide

Standard.

This is what some department ride or the Road King. I have heard the Electra smoked the RT from 0-70 mph and the stopping distance was within 3 feet of each other. This was at the Michigan State Police testing this year.

We are testing one tomorrow at training. Sweeeeet. :thumbsup:

I find it hard to believe an 80 hp Road King will smoke a 110 hp RT. Tranmission, clutch, brakes and resale all pretty good on HD. The handling is horrible on a new '09 Road King we have at the department. For details, check this thread.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=523420#Post523420

So is this is going to be a PD or personal bike?

Take that demonstrater through some cone patterns and let us know what you think. NOT

I have heard the Electra smoked the RT from 0-70 mph and the stopping distance was within 3 feet of each other

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You may laugh, but first you must get the 2010 data. I am more than please to share this information with any Tallahassee area folks to confirm what I am saying.

flhtp 0-70mph 5.54 sec.

BMW 0-70mph 5.80 sec.

braking was flhtp 149 and the RTP 147, ops 2 feet.

Yes this would be a personal bike, because I have a RT parked in the garage.

I know this data hurts. :D

I Don't know how anyone could trade a BMW for a HD what with the clunky transmission and high maintenance on the HD :rofl:

I rode a (2002) RTP for 5 years for 40K, 3 year warranty. $22 cent per mile.

Rode a (1997) Harley for 5 years for 40K 1 year warranty. $29 cent per mile.

The Harley had less warranty and was within $.07 per mile. Would not call that "high" maintenance.

I have heard the Electra smoked the RT from 0-70 mph and the stopping distance was within 3 feet of each other.

Are those your criteria? If so, why are you looking at either bike when any number of $8000 sport bikes would clobber both of them?

That said, I'm sure the FLHWTF is a fine machine.

flhtp 0-70mph 5.54 sec.

BMW 0-70mph 5.80 sec.

2010 vs 2009 HD. Same torque 102ft lb, same weight 830lbs.

How did the RTP get slower?

How did the HD get faster?

Don't get me wrong, I love Harley's and would love to own one but there's no way that those figures are correct.

Let's see, 20% less power and 300 pounds more weight. Somehow my engineering background is saying those speed number don't pass the stupid test. Maybe the BMW was just using one cylinder.

Hey Sorry Motorman I think you got my humor wrong. When I travel for work I try and fit in an extra day so I can find the nearest Harley Dealer that will rent me a ride. No beef against Harley (some of their riders maybe) As for the Clunky Trans and maintenance..... Well any BMW rider should feel right at home with that.

Evening All:

Although I do not own-nor have I ridden a RT, I own a R12R and spent eight days flogging a 2009 Street Glide out near Yellowstone last month. I put on 2200 miles, and can say that pushing the thing around parking lots was a real workout(very heavy), but at speed it was stable(got up to triple digits on more that one occasion). The ABS worked as expected, the acceleration was not as brisk as my R(with a redline at 5.5K-hit the rev limiter a couple of times), but chugging along in Deadwood, Sturgis, and various other small towns was a nice change from feathering a clutch/throttle on my R.

All in all, every company makes great hardware now, and if I had the $$ I would have a Street Glide/Road Glide parked next to the R.

Regards;

Chris

ShovelStrokeEd

I really don't find those numbers hard to believe. The Harley, even the Electraglide, is a very easy bike to launch out of the hole. Low seat height, strong clutch, a lot of flywheel mass and a pretty low first gear. Contrast that to the RTP with none of the above.

You skeptics would do well to try one.

I'm not a policeman, but I often talk to the LAPD traffic cops. They had the Harleys and they hated them. They are such crap, they are riding their old (OOOOLD)Kawasakis most of the time. The LAPD is going to BMW's. I know the hold up before was BMW would not certify the L.A. City mechanics to work on the bikes. I don't know if they've changed their tune.

Old racers adage: Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races...

Don't discount how far HD has come until you've ridden a new one. The 103" motor is a monster, the new frame and suspension is more that just an improvement.

This isn't you're fathers Oldsmobile...

Let's see, 20% less power and 300 pounds more weight. Somehow my engineering background is saying those speed number don't pass the stupid test. Maybe the BMW was just using one cylinder.

Off the line, it's more about torque than power.

You may laugh, but first you must get the 2010 data. I am more than please to share this information with any Tallahassee area folks to confirm what I am saying.

flhtp 0-70mph 5.54 sec.

BMW 0-70mph 5.80 sec.

braking was flhtp 149 and the RTP 147, ops 2 feet.

Yes this would be a personal bike, because I have a RT parked in the garage.

I know this data hurts. :D

Where it would really hurt would be to repeat that test on a tyre manufacturers wet testing ground - and it would hurt the Harley. I would add that in all my years (about 8 now) of reading comparative tests of ABS systems in a certain German motorcycle magazine, never has a Harley outbraked a BMW.

You have a world first there - congratulations!

And if I understand the premise for this testing, it is to find out, from a standing start, if the sheriff or the bandit will get to 70 MPH first? If that's the case, I'll assume the winner gets an out of jail free card, right? No wonder so many law breakers ride Asian super bikes. Thank God the BMW riders won't get away with anything.

Survived-til-now

Living over here with congested roads, lots of bends and lots of wet weather I wouldn't even try to compare an HD with an RT but would look to the Honda Pan European or an FJR as possible alternatives - but hey, it's your bucks so whatever makes you happy.

But isn't HD in some kind of financial difficulty? On the other hand it may survive just long enough to honour the warranty :grin:

Have fun and best wishes on a possible new ride.

Wooster

"Quicksilver" What the Lone Ranger says when in a hurry

I really liked my Road Glide, and with the innovations (?) in the H-D lineup lately, I can fully understand the thinking.

As far as I am concerned, the acceleration numbers are moot. I don't ride that way anyhow. Reliability? Call it a Toss-up. Belts are better than final drives. Comfort- subjective. Weight? Goes to BMW. Dealer support and infrastructure...H-D. Culture and fellow riding crowd goes to BMW.

I think he is right keep at least one of each.

Go for it John. The new HD's are great.

Having said that, I have a $20,000 BMW and $20,000 HD in my garage and the my $8,000 Triumph is more fun to ride than either of the high dollar bikes. :grin:

Go figure... :S

I just got back from my "anti Reno" run going over hwy 108 and down to Bridgeport instead of up to Reno for Street Vibrations and can say that I had a wonderful time on Smokey the Hog, however I also do this trip annually on Pepper the 650 GS and can say that it is just as, or more fun. It doesn't matter what you ride as long as you like it and have fun. The most fun of this particular trip was meeting all of the nice riders on all kinds of bikes along the way. Beemers; Suzuki's; Kawis; Ducati's; I was amazed at how many Beemers were out on the road this weekend. The Dardenelle Store is a particular meeting place to share an ice tea or canned coffee and chew the fat with other like minded riders. Wonderful. So get what turns you on and have fun. So many bikes and so little time is my way of thinking.

I ride a 07 RTP for work and I own an 09 E.G 103 Police with the Brembo ABS for a pesonal bike. I struggle back and forth each time I ride one or the other. I really like the BMW and I really like the Harley. The BMW gives better wind protection and handles better on fast roads.

Someone mentioned the HD being difficult in a parking lot? I find the HD is MUCH easier to ride slow than the BMW. AFTER my triple tree recall was done I couldn't get the grin off of my face when whipping it around in a parking lot. Easily spins a U turn (inside of apprx. 17') inside of two parking spaces, figure 8 inside of a block of 4.

When I was off duty I met up with my partner who was on his RTP. He took off after a speeder and I took off with him (up to the speed limit of course) and found he didn't pull me at all. I pretty sure I could go faster on the BMW though.

I hit the same tight S turn every day on the way home. I usually hit it around a max of 35-40. When I hit it on my HD-EG (and lean off the seat a little) I can easily match it.

My final conclusion is the BMW is a better Highway Patrol bike and the Harley is a better City Patrol bike. This is just my opinion though, not hard and fast set in concrete. The word "better" being VERY subjective!

PS: there sure is something about that HD MOTOR when you take off! (torque!)

Don't matter, you still won't catch me

doing anything wrong.

:grin:

Just rode one this weekend at BBB in Fayetteville AR. Do not know which full dress it was, but it did have the abs and the big 110 CVO engine I think. I have to say I was really impressed. With the stock pipes it really ran pretty good. If the new EFI engines get the same horsepower improvement from pipes, intake and tune the older ones got, it would be just about as fast at any legal speed as a BMW Boxer. And it was really really easy to drive at low speed, there was a lot of crowd getting to/from to the road, and I never had to put my foot down once, even when completely stopped for a moment. No wallow, hit a foot board once, they just fold up and vibrate, no drama, kinda leaned into the turn after that, and they corner pretty darn well. If you were truly used to one of these, in the twisties you would be able to keep a BMW in sight for at least 3 or 4 curves.

I really liked the bike, all $30,000+ of it :eek: CVO bikes are really expensive. And nothing sounds as good as a well piped harley.

Rod

There is a different aesthetic element both bike's embody.

If I were to buy a bike on the specs, cost of ownership per mile, or any other analytical formula discussed in this thread, both the BMW and the Harley would not even be in the running. Think FJR, ST1300, Connie 14, heck.. the KZ1000 P is a better bike than both the RT and the HD in many technical respects.

I see feel like a BMW guy some days, and a Harley guy on others.. I own too many bikes.. Ive never owned a Harley but still I like them.

There is a different aesthetic element both bike's embody.

If I were to buy a bike on the specs, cost of ownership per mile, or any other analytical formula discussed in this thread, both the BMW and the Harley would not even be in the running. Think FJR, ST1300, Connie 14, heck.. the KZ1000 P is a better bike than both the RT and the HD in many technical respects.

Im a BMW guy some days, and a Harley guy on others.. I own too many bikes.. Ive never owned a Harley but still I like them.

Really want to have fun, get a cheap 4 cylinder Japanese bike for $2500, beat on it for a decade, and sell it for $2500.

Yup, you heard it correctly. Our dealer has or is closing. I have two BMWs and will trade/sell my LT for an Electra Glide

Standard.

This is what some department ride or the Road King. I have heard the Electra smoked the RT from 0-70 mph and the stopping distance was within 3 feet of each other. This was at the Michigan State Police testing this year.

At least you won't be getting a Sportster. We all know that's a women's bike.

:grin:

Also, don't listen to the Beemer RUBs (no, that term is NOT limited to a specific marque). They don't know JACK! Ride whatever makes the endorphins flow.

:thumbsup:

I like BailyD I am torn between the two. I love my RT/LT, but there is something about that Harley that pulls me towards it.

We did an unoffical testing. RT on one side and a Electra Glide on the other. Out of four runs, I on the RT, smoked the Electra Glide, go fiqure.

You're right! We really are not suppose to "chase" anyone anymore anyway! My new Dodge Charger with the big motor is the fastest PD car I've ever driven. I rarely get over 2,500 RPM's.

Rules, Rules and more Rules. I've made it for nearly 17 years and I kinda like the idea of retiring 1) with my pension 2) with everything where it should be on me : )

Most importantly I don't want to hurt anyone else. We've all seen what can happen when things go wrong : (

John,

The testing was done on the 19th and 21st but I haven't found the results yet.

Supposed to come out in October.

I have problems believing the HD improved that much in a year.

We'll see.

Standard.

John, if you haven't done so already, DO NOT buy the E-Glide until you have tested the Road Glide. The frame-mounted fairing gives far, far better protection from the elements, even more so when the lowers are mounted. Furthermore, it does not feed wind gusts into the system as steering input, which makes it much more stable. Lean angle is better, too, by a bit, but that doesn't matter in Florida, as I recall.

I believe the police bikes come with a 103" engine. My '07 was first year for the 96" engine, and I am impressed with it, even after moving off the 107" I had in the FXRT I sold. The stock cams have zero overlap, so they strangle the engine, as do the air cleaner and pipes. Just trading off the A/C and exhaust for EPA street-legal HD equipment gives a noticeable improvement in performance. Change the cams for something with some overlap and a bit more duration and you have much more torque and some more HP to boot. When the ECM chip is reflashed to compensate for increased air flow it also raises the rev limit to 6,000; there is even more power to be had in those extra 800 rpms.

I don't know if BMW has a knock sensor/ignition retard system yet, but the one on the HD engine is very good. It uses the spark plugs to detect detonation by testing combustion byproduct in the cylinder.

In 32,500 miles on mine I have had one problem, and I may have caused it. My dealer covered it under warranty, anyway. I have adjusted the belt twice and don't expect to again. Oil analyses tell me that I can run my oil at least 6k miles or more. Tire life (Dunlops & Metz 880) is 18k front, 10k rear.

I liked my BMW and could spend all day telling someone good things about it, but I won't bother to own another one as long as I have access to a modern Harley.

Pilgrim

John,

The testing was done on the 19th and 21st but I haven't found the results yet.

Supposed to come out in October.

I have problems believing the HD improved that much in a year.

We'll see.

This is what the Harely Rep faxed us saying that the Harley out accelerated all motors, no Honda they were not there. I asked why the big difference between the Harleys. If you look at the spec sheet they are the same, maybe 20 pounds, but that would go to the no fairing bike the road king. He claim, the Harley rep, different riders, blah, blah, blah.

I can tell you this that off the line, I out accelerated the Harley each time. The Harley even had the stage kit on it for better performence. I just hate when people, well you know what I mean.

4659.jpg.4552f58bcc6e321f8e3a03f96331ac42.jpg

Standard.

John, if you haven't done so already, DO NOT buy the E-Glide until you have tested the Road Glide. The frame-mounted fairing gives far, far better protection from the elements, even more so when the lowers are mounted. Furthermore, it does not feed wind gusts into the system as steering input, which makes it much more stable. Lean angle is better, too, by a bit, but that doesn't matter in Florida, as I recall.

I believe the police bikes come with a 103" engine. My '07 was first year for the 96" engine, and I am impressed with it, even after moving off the 107" I had in the FXRT I sold. The stock cams have zero overlap, so they strangle the engine, as do the air cleaner and pipes. Just trading off the A/C and exhaust for EPA street-legal HD equipment gives a noticeable improvement in performance. Change the cams for something with some overlap and a bit more duration and you have much more torque and some more HP to boot. When the ECM chip is reflashed to compensate for increased air flow it also raises the rev limit to 6,000; there is even more power to be had in those extra 800 rpms.

I don't know if BMW has a knock sensor/ignition retard system yet, but the one on the HD engine is very good. It uses the spark plugs to detect detonation by testing combustion byproduct in the cylinder.

In 32,500 miles on mine I have had one problem, and I may have caused it. My dealer covered it under warranty, anyway. I have adjusted the belt twice and don't expect to again. Oil analyses tell me that I can run my oil at least 6k miles or more. Tire life (Dunlops & Metz 880) is 18k front, 10k rear.

I liked my BMW and could spend all day telling someone good things about it, but I won't bother to own another one as long as I have access to a modern Harley.

Pilgrim

I agree. I rode the Electra Glide home. It will curise nicely at the speed limits. I did go home and got my full face and I like it a lot better with the full face helmet. In town working the 1/2 will do fine.

The local HD dealer here, when giving an overview of the HD touring line up, describes the Road Glide as the "Sport Touring" model. I snickered when I overheard this, but I agree with the characterization relative to the other models in the HD lineup.

All,

I'm new here - just picked up a 2009 R1200RT Saturday. Never had a BMW only Harley Davidson's. I ride every day and travel 400 miles a week just to and from work. I find the RT very comfortable and nimble so far.

I've ridden H-D's over 30 years. Just traded a V-Rod and still have a Fat Boy and a Buell. I've never had a significant problem and once you get the motorcycle to fit you and your needs, H-D's are fine. When I started, the bikes were 4 speeds, kick only with weak electrical systems and major oil leaks standard. The current models are bullet proof and dependable in my experience.

The new ones run very lean and quite hot. Many riders spend a couple thousand dollars on intake/exhaust mods to improve performance. You don't have to do upgrades but they make the motorcycle more enjoyable.

I'll always have a Harley Davidson in my garage.

Ride safe.

Bill

My neighbor just bought a Road King. I must say it's a very pretty machine and it sounds great. I think he either has stock pipes on it or something fairly mild. But I must admit it sounds really good.

I think my biggest problem would be handling, road manners, seating positon and ground clearance. I liek a more responsive machine and a more upright seating position for a more engaing, full view of the road.

As for performance, I suspect with the new motor and transmission, off the line, the HD will run with the RT. But above maybe 60mph, the top end and better areodynamics on the RT, should give it the edge. With the tall 1st gear on the RT, and shorter wheelbase, compared to the HD motor with tons of bottom end and a long wheelbase, it's not a fair comparison from a standstill.

I think they both serve their own purposes well.

BTW my neighbor dropped his Road Kind in his driveway and the excellent crash bars he has protected everything. Not a scratch. I was impressed. But his leg got burnt really bad. He wears shorts, a t-shirt and no helmet on warmer days. :(

BTW my neighbor dropped his Road Kind in his driveway and the excellent crash bars he has protected everything. Not a scratch. I was impressed. But his leg got burnt really bad. He wears shorts, a t-shirt and no helmet on warmer days. :(

IMO, he got what he deserved.

Hey Skip!

:wave:

The results I would like to see are the road course.

Michigan State has all of the riders travel this section on all of the bikes, more than once.

Last year the RT was the bike which all of the riders had their best time on and I think it was by a huge margin.

The total time on each bike is averaged and I think there was like a 25% difference in the average time.

We'll see pretty soon.

Archived