IGNORED

The First Baby Boomer

Pilgrim

For quite some time I have called myself "The First Baby Boomer." Dad came home from the Pacific on survivor's leave after his ship was sunk, got, uhhh, "reacquainted" with mom around VJ day, and generated me. So, I make the claim and until recently, it had never been contested.

Now I see that some poseur back in New Jersey lays claim to the title based on a birth on 1/1/46. And get this - the government recognizes it! No wonder they can't keep anything straight - they don't even remember when the Japanese surrendered (8/15/45, for the unread here.) They can't even recognize biology at work. That woman's certainly an associate member of the PWBB, but good Lord, her keel was laid (so to speak) months before the war was over.

In the interest of fairness and exchange of ideas, I'd entertain an objection to my claim from someone born on August 15, 1946, even though that someone was clearly not conceived in a fit of joyous postwar passion. He could put together a case for the defense, but that's as far as I'd stretch a point.

Nope. She's out of the running. The PWBB didn't begin until the seeds sown by returning soldiers, sailors, etc began to blossom. I'm the first one. It's my sole claim to fame, and I'll defend it to the end.

Pilgrim

Dave McReynolds

No wonder they can't keep anything straight - they don't even remember when the Japanese surrendered (8/15/45, for the unread here.) They can't even recognize biology at work. That woman's certainly an associate member of the PWBB, but good Lord, her keel was laid (so to speak) months before the war was over.

In the interest of fairness and exchange of ideas, I'd entertain an objection to my claim from someone born on August 15, 1946, even though that someone was clearly not conceived in a fit of joyous postwar passion. He could put together a case for the defense, but that's as far as I'd stretch a point.

Why not someone born on 5/16/46? Do only vets who were in the Pacific on VJ day, and took 3 months to get shipped home count?

Dave, you made me look at my post again. Shame on me for a typo. Anyone born on 8/15/45could make a defensible claim. By August of '46, well, that's just stale stuff.

Baby boomers gotta been born pursuant to a conception that took place in a fit of postwar celebration, and that's the rule! If mommy and daddy jumped the gun in anticipation, well, they crossed the foul line.

Pilgrim

Dave McReynolds

Baby boomers gotta been born pursuant to a conception that took place in a fit of postwar celebration

Then it's difficult to reconcile how someone born 8/15/45 would qualify, who would have to have been conceived as the war was still progressing by some REMF, or feather merchant, as they were called by an earlier generation. The earliest someone could be born with a full 9 months gestation, if sired by an honest to God fighting soldier, sailor, or Marine would be 5/16/46, assuming they spread their pollen on the actual day of Japan's surrender.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Baby boomers gotta been born pursuant to a conception that took place in a fit of postwar celebration

Then it's difficult to reconcile how someone born 8/15/45 would qualify, who would have to have been conceived as the war was still progressing by some REMF, or feather merchant, as they were called by an earlier generation. The earliest someone could be born with a full 9 months gestation, if sired by an honest to God fighting soldier, sailor, or Marine would be 5/16/46, assuming they spread their pollen on the actual day of Japan's surrender.

Germany surrendered on 5/7/45. Maybe not the end of WWII, but the beginning of the end, and a cause for (ahem) celebration that would result in births on/around 2/7/46.

What important WWII events occurred nine months prior to 8/15/45 (I guess that would be 11/15/44)?

My gratitude to all early BBs as they paved the way for we later BBs

By the time I needed things you folks had it all up and running:

bifocals in every magnification in every drugstore, focus in the media on my world, products coming off of every assembly line with me in mind, etc...

Germany surrendered on 5/7/45. Maybe not the end of WWII, but the beginning of the end, and a cause for (ahem) celebration that would result in births on/around 2/7/46.

What important WWII events occurred nine months prior to 8/15/45 (I guess that would be 11/15/44)?

Awww, when I said I'd entertain discussion of the 8/15/45 date I was just trying to show how open I am to discussion of qualifications. Being a creature of my generation, though, I'm open to discussion as long the conclusions are those I agree with - and I don't really think that qualifies.

Kathy, believe me, as I've watched this self-absorbed generation progress I have explored the possibility of trying to resign my position, not wanting to be guilty by association. Can't make it work, though, so I guess I'm stuck. In all truth, I wonder if there has ever been a group of people so involved with itself and with such an overinflated estimation of its own worth. When I condemn the 1960s, it's this generation I'm pointing my finger at.

Pilgrim

Kathy, believe me, as I've watched this self-absorbed generation progress I have explored the possibility of trying to resign my position, not wanting to be guilty by association. Can't make it work, though, so I guess I'm stuck. In all truth, I wonder if there has ever been a group of people so involved with itself and with such an overinflated estimation of its own worth. When I condemn the 1960s, it's this generation I'm pointing my finger at.

I understand. But that self absorbtion came from the parenting some of that generation received. It is so true that a sure way to predict the future of a society is to look at the ups and downs of it's economy. Too much up and it all goes to hell.

Pilgrim

BB#1,

You are to harsh on the BBs. We drop everything to lend a hand, just read this board and notice the lengths gone for another without any personal gain.

Dave McReynolds

Can't make it work, though, so I guess I'm stuck. In all truth, I wonder if there has ever been a group of people so involved with itself and with such an overinflated estimation of its own worth. When I condemn the 1960s, it's this generation I'm pointing my finger at.

Believe me, if you think we're self absorbed, you should look at the younger generation. A week ago, I sent my secretary out to the jewelers with my Rolex to get it oiled, and it was supposed to be back today. Was it back today? NO!! Did anyone call me from the jewelers to apologize or offer me a loaner Rolex? NO!! When I called, could I understand the young person who answered the phone and was evidently talking around a wad of gum? NO!! All I could get from the conversation was that my Rolex probably wouldn't be ready until next week. In the mean time, if I want to know what time it is, I suppose I'll have to look at my cell phone!! At least in the '60's, if they said your Rolex would be back in a week, you could depend on it being back in a week!!

I don't know about the first post baby, but my older brother was born 8 months and 27 days after my dad had to report to boot camp for WWII. He spent 4 days on a train getting to boot camp; so my guess is I know what he was doing his last night as a pre-war civilian...

Can't make it work, though, so I guess I'm stuck. In all truth, I wonder if there has ever been a group of people so involved with itself and with such an overinflated estimation of its own worth. When I condemn the 1960s, it's this generation I'm pointing my finger at.

Believe me, if you think we're self absorbed, you should look at the younger generation. A week ago, I sent my secretary out to the jewelers with my Rolex to get it oiled, and it was supposed to be back today. Was it back today? NO!! Did anyone call me from the jewelers to apologize or offer me a loaner Rolex? NO!! When I called, could I understand the young person who answered the phone and was evidently talking around a wad of gum? NO!! All I could get from the conversation was that my Rolex probably wouldn't be ready until next week. In the mean time, if I want to know what time it is, I suppose I'll have to look at my cell phone!! At least in the '60's, if they said your Rolex would be back in a week, you could depend on it being back in a week!!

Please tell me you ARE kiddding, aren't you?

Of course he's not kidding! Dave is known to have no sense of irony, whatsoever. And he's bragged before about his collection of Rolices, and his vintage BMW 325.

Pilgrim

This is too funny.

Y'all may be good at math, not so much at biology.

:grin:

If we could just add 9 months (not to mention which 9 month period you used would give you a different total number of days for gestation) and voila, every conception resulted in a birth at that time, life would be simpler.

For example, I was 6-8 weeks premature, so using your line of mathematical logic, I was conceived nearly 2 months before the actual event.

Maybe I should start a religion...

:wave:

:lurk:

kidding, ha! no one gets their rolex oiled. it's lifetime oil in the drive....never wears out. at least us baby, baby boomers don't have to. :rofl:

Believe me, if you think we're self absorbed, you should look at the younger generation.

Yeah, no lie.

I read something a day or two ago about a 20-something who was all bent because he got fired for not calling into work when out sick. His defense, “But I posted that I was sick and wouldn’t be into work on my Facebook page!” He sincerely expected his boss to have checked there to find out what was up with him when he didn’t come into wok for a couple of days.

Shish, I guess I AM getting old when I think that is absurd!

Believe me, if you think we're self absorbed, you should look at the younger generation.

Yeah, no lie.

I read something a day or two ago about a 20-something who was all bent because he got fired for not calling into work when out sick. His defense, “But I posted that I was sick and wouldn’t be into work on my Facebook page!” He sincerely expected his boss to have checked there to find out what was up with him when he didn’t come into wok for a couple of days.

he should've gotten fired if he didn't follow his employers protocol. the example presented sheds as much negative light on this kids parents as it does him...IMO. i take pride in how my kid was/is raised and the results (so far!).

Yeah, no lie.

His boss must be a Luddite :grin:

The death of customer service use to astound me in the 80's. That's when I first noticed it on a large scale. Cashiers saying "Is that all? 8.45" and then sticking out their hands. No "thank you" at the conclusion of the transaction.

"Is that all?" In high school back in the 70's, I worked at an "Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips" fast food restaurant (remember those?) in Rome, NY. During that time, customer service was paramount and your job was on the line if there was even a hint of not putting the customer first. Instead of "Is that all?", it was "Is there anything else I can get for you today?" Instead of "8.45" and then holding out your hand for money, it was "That will be 8 dollars and 45 cents please, sir|maam...Thank you" I used to have run in's with cashiers all the time in the 80's over this lack of courtesy to customers until I began to realize that an entire generation of kids have grown up totally oblivious to what I was talking about. No clue whatsoever. So this is the future of America? We're in deep doo-doo.

I suppose the other point of distinction is that many kids of my generation did such work as a transition to college where as for later generations, this was to become their careers! Which is perfectly fine if you take your job, responsibility, opportunity seriously.

Back in Rome, NY in the 70's, here I was, a black teenager in a town that only had a handfull of black people and most of them were there because of Griffiss Air Force base. All the kids dreamed of working for Revereware, the factory that made pots and pans. I never even bothered to look into it; I just assumed they would have no interest in hiring a young black man. Nonetheless, one day an older gentlemen approached me at work and informed me that he had been coming to Arthur Treachers for some time now, and every time he came there I was courteous, hard working, and respectful, and therefore he wanted to offer me a job at Revereware! I was totally honored by the offer, but by then I had already decided to come to Boston to go to college at Northeastern University. Wise move on my part as not 10 years later that factory was dismantled and moved overseas somewhere.

In any case, that taught me a lesson about the importance of hard work and keeping a professional attitude in everything you do, regardless of what you do for a living. Opporunity will often arrive unlooked for and unexpected to those who are prepared for it. I wish so much that later generations could come to understand this truth. May I help you, thank you, sir, madaam, yes please, no thank you, how can I help to resolve this matter?, I'll be more than happy to take care of this for you sir|maam -- relics of a by gone era. :cry:

Anyhow, I digress, back to Pilgrims topic :smile:

Are you serious? When I take my Rolex Submariner in to the local authorized dealer for a lube/oil/filter they cheerfully ask for $425 then tell me I'll have my watch back in four to six weeks. What makes you so special??!! :S

Pilgrim....as a BB'er I am happy to bow to your claim as #1 BB....At least it's someone "WE" know....Glad my parents took the time to have some fun (I hope) and out of all the millions of little seeds that were torpedoed my seed was sunk...... :Cool:

Are you serious? When I take my Rolex Submariner in to the local authorized dealer for a lube/oil/filter they cheerfully ask for $425 then tell me I'll have my watch back in four to six weeks. What makes you so special??!! :S

You must be using dino oil in the bubblehead watch...

Synthetic man, go synthetic! Then you'll only need to oil that watch on every other hip replacement!

Pilgrim....as a BB'er I am happy to bow to your claim as #1 BB....At least it's someone "WE" know....Glad my parents took the time to have some fun (I hope) and out of all the millions of little seeds that were torpedoed my seed was sunk...... :Cool:

And to think, you were the strongest swimmer...

:wave:

Hi Bill!

Dave McReynolds

Are you serious? When I take my Rolex Submariner in to the local authorized dealer for a lube/oil/filter they cheerfully ask for $425 then tell me I'll have my watch back in four to six weeks. What makes you so special??!!

On a more serious note, you are correct about what it costs to get a Rolex tuned up. I bought the thing in Okinawa in 1965 at the PX for about $175, after thinking long and hard about whether it was really worth about $50 more than the next most expensive non-Rolex watch they had.

You must be using dino oil in the bubblehead watch...Synthetic man, go synthetic! Then you'll only need to oil that watch on every other hip replacement!

You better be careful! Oil threads and comments about oil in this Forum are almost like political stuff, say the right thing and then next thing you know 'ol EFFBEE is sending you into exile.

I won't report you this time but I'm putting you on the list! :P

Are you serious? When I take my Rolex Submariner in to the local authorized dealer for a lube/oil/filter they cheerfully ask for $425 then tell me I'll have my watch back in four to six weeks. What makes you so special??!!

On a more serious note, you are correct about what it costs to get a Rolex tuned up. I bought the thing in Okinawa in 1965 at the PX for about $175, after thinking long and hard about whether it was really worth about $50 more than the next most expensive non-Rolex watch they had.

Hey, Dave, in all seriousness, would you or one of the other Rolex wearers please start a Rolex thread explaining their appeal? In this day of watches that are less expensive (never mind cheap ones), more accurate, and do not require tuneups that cost more than my first car I just don't get it. Once upon a time, when all watches were mechanical a Rolex made sense if you really needed to know the time accurately and reliably, but now? I'm not here to gig anyone over what he like or doesn't like, I won't even post a response if you start one, but it seems kind of like using an abacus with gold frame, silver strings and diamond beads instead of a PC.

All that being said, I've always had a hankering for a Breitling. I've suppressed it manfully, though, and stuck to Seikos.

Pilgrim

Dave McReynolds

In this day of watches that are less expensive (never mind cheap ones), more accurate, and do not require tuneups that cost more than my first car I just don't get it.

I don't think I'm interested enough in the subject to start a separate thread on it, unless someone else wants to. I probably wouldn't buy another Rolex or other expensive watch if this one broke, but at the time, with nothing better to do with the money, it seemed to make sense. I've had it on my wrist almost every day of my adult life for more than 40 years now, all my children and grandchildren have teethed on it, and I've kind of gotten attached to it.

On the other hand, maybe I should get a $500,000 modern art painting by Laura Barbosa?* I know she hates to let it go, because whoever buys it "will be taking a part of my soul with this painting." Maybe it would be best to let her keep it?

Or a really tricked out Harley. Don't you have one of those, Kent? Of course, our BMW's are worth every dollar we spend on them, and all the extra stuff we buy is for purely practical reasons, but those Harley people....

*Edit. Price dropped to $399,001 as I was writing! What a deal! Better snap this one up!

I bought a Rojex watch for $15 in Korea around 10 years ago and it's never worked right. I didn't think the "l" would matter that much. :dopeslap:

Bought one in Tiajuana for $20 and it still works great. By the way, when did they change the name on the face to El Rolex?

Hey, Dave, in all seriousness, would you or one of the other Rolex wearers please start a Rolex thread explaining their appeal? In this day of watches that are less expensive (never mind cheap ones), more accurate, and do not require tuneups that cost more than my first car I just don't get it. Once upon a time, when all watches were mechanical a Rolex made sense if you really needed to know the time accurately and reliably, but now? I'm not here to gig anyone over what he like or doesn't like, I won't even post a response if you start one, but it seems kind of like using an abacus with gold frame, silver strings and diamond beads instead of a PC.

All that being said, I've always had a hankering for a Breitling. I've suppressed it manfully, though, and stuck to Seikos.

Pilgrim

It's interesting that this question is being poised on a BMW MC forum because you can substitute BMW Motorrad for Rolex and ask the same question. I could have bought almost any two other motorcycles for the price of my new RT and had a lot of fun with them but what would I have in the long run? Probably two UJM's worth very little. The same can be said about a Rolex. There is no doubt that they are more accurate time pieces out there but not many that are affordable and will fetch as much as you paid for it new after twenty years of ownership. I could go on about this but what it boils down to is that I like wearing a Rolex and I like riding BMW's and while I could probably do better with other products I instead chose to spend my money on quality stuff.

In this day of watches that are less expensive (never mind cheap ones), more accurate, and do not require tuneups that cost more than my first car I just don't get it.

I've had it on my wrist almost every day of my adult life for more than 40 years now, all my children and grandchildren have teethed on it, and I've kind of gotten attached to it.

That I can certainly relate to. A youthful impulse followed by sentimental attachment. Let me tell you about my first wife, someday ...

Pilgrim

I have had my Rolex for 32 years and intend wearing it until I die.

I do however wear a Seiko watch most of the time as I am less concerned about damaging it rather than my Rolex which I now wear as more of a dress watch.

As I am regularly in the ocean , services to my Rolex are becoming dearer as it get's older and I have been told that some sections of the watch may need to be "rebuilt / refilled" due to wear.

Not sure if I would pay the money to replace it and I suppose it is a bit like the question of why do people ride Harley Davidson motorcycles that is met with the answer "if you have to ask you wouldn't understand"

I think all watches have become passe.

Quit wearing one decades ago.

If you don't know what time it is, a watch won't help.

If I have to explain that to you you just wouldn't understand.

Rolex is a piece of jewelry first and a watch second.

There are so many chronographic instruments around us today that it almost impossible to escape their intrusion.

"Does anybody really know what time it is?

Does anybody really care?"

An oldie but goodie sentiment.

Not sure if I would pay the money to replace it and I suppose it is a bit like the question of why do people ride Harley Davidson motorcycles that is met with the answer "if you have to ask you wouldn't understand"

Thank you, Gary! I pitched that soft lob out there and was beginning to think nobody would ever hit it.

You, too, Tallman.

Pilgrim

I've never worn a watch (unless heart rate monitors count), but if I did, it would have to be a Rolex, and it would have to be a gift.

"I pitched that soft lob out there and was beginning to think nobody would ever hit it"

Pilgrim ,it was starting feel like you were a nubile young thing in a thin cotton dress standing alone in the snow , I was surprised as well that it took so long but I just couldn't let it go!!!

"I pitched that soft lob out there and was beginning to think nobody would ever hit it"

Pilgrim ,it was starting feel like you were a nubile young thing in a thin cotton dress standing alone in the snow , I was surprised as well that it took so long but I just couldn't let it go!!!

Gary, taking the "baby-boomer" subject off on a hemispheric tangent, does Australia suffer from the syndrome? I presume that Aussie men were just as happy to get home after the war, and their women just as glad to see them, as U.S. folks, so there is probably a population bulge. Do its members entertain themselves with delusions of special importance?

Pilgrim

• 2 weeks later...

Pilgrim,

We have marketing demograhers telling us it is an issue , we have governments telling us that the ratio of income earners is dropping relative to those retiring and accessing government pension funds and services.

A lot of this is "chicken little" media and a little is reality.

Generation X and Y and double 00 dealing with problems created by BB,s is populist media , most of us couldn't give a rats arse { or to put it abruptly "demur from the debate".

With regards to "Do its members entertain themselves with delusions of special importance?" this is not really an issue for us , especially me, as we know we are pretty special anyway , not just a fluke of our birth date.

I think the most noticeable thing about BB in Australia is that we have enjoyed the best of everything and if anything we are spoilt by excess , we as BB may have lost the edge that our previous generation had to enable us to enjoy the prosperity that we have. Not sure if we have been able to deliver to the next generation after us these same opportunities and that we may have not enabled them to have the edge they need.

When I was in Banda Aceh after the tsunami , we were building an orphanage and we had around 70 young people in our care , their school day would start around 7:30 am with additional language lessons before the "normal" school day started. They would finish at night with further lessons. I am not fluent in Arabic or Indonesian , I have a smattering of French and can usually make myself understood in most countries . Most of these kids could and would ask us to spend time with them doing maths and science lessons at any chance they could. These kids were working on their edge.

When I came home I spent two days judging a surf board riding competition between two local schools during school days, it was great fun , the kids were having a good time, australian sunshine at the beach but it doesn't give you an edge.

The me generation ,I think is starting to get their heads around leaving something better than just using everything up.

I am looking forward to becoming a grandfather in December for the first time and the potential of what my grandchildren will inherit may be the catalyst for me to attempt to become a bit more sustainable {if possible}

Thanks, Gary.

Time after time I see comments about kids in foreign countries, usually Asian, studying a lot. And kids in our part of the world, not.

The world has always changed; no reason think that European ascendency is a done deal. I sure don't.

Pilgrim

Archived