IGNORED

r1200rt CD player,,,

firefighter217

firefighter217

Well I just got back from a 1400 mile ride to Big Bend TX and surrounding areas on my New To Me (slightly used) R1200rt. It performed beautifully...

One Complaint: The Single disc CD player did NOT perform.

At idle it plays great but as soon as speed increases it starts skipping like crazy! Has anyone had any issues with the factory BMW cd player? Anyone change it out?

Thanks

I've got one. While I don't really use it much, I haven't had any significant problem with skipping when playing CDs. I have an Autocom and when I want music I tend to use an iPod through in-ear speakers.

CD's, I remember those, I used to play them before downloadable MP3's became available.

Yeah, the 1200RT CD player does tend to skip when moving. I know, because I tried it once before I installed my MP3 capable Zumo.

I never bothered with trying to have it checked or replaced.

It's pretty pathetic performance from such an expensive piece of equipment. Even the cheapest portable CD players today have a built in buffer to prevent this very problem. Why BMW didn't incorporate this technology into the player is unfathomable.

Jay

I have an 09 and played the cd player (mp3) back and forth to San Diego which was approx 800 miles. This is California and we are not known for having smooth roads. I only noticed a few skips and was very suprised that it didn't at certain times. So my opinion is that it is not normal. I have actually been very impressed with the c/d player. You didn't mention the year but looking at part numbers it doesn't appear that BMW changed anything. But there is always production changes that occur and not always new part numbers assigned to reflect it.....

Brian

Has anyone had any issues with the factory BMW cd player? Anyone change it out?

I skipped the factory tune box, opting for installing aftermarket. The Pioneer unit's CD player is not even accessible. Even if it was, the mfr. says not to use it if mounted more than 60 degrees from horizontal. Of course, it's vertical. I got it because it has 2 USB plugs, 1 front, 1 rear. I have a 16 GB thumb drive hooked to the rear (thru an extender cable) and can, of course, plug into the front one whenever I want. (I also installed HD and a remote. Skip the HD, the antenna is to short to make it useful despite how good it sounds.)

FWIW, I found that "original" CD's are fine, but nearly all my "copied" CD's tend to skip on rough roads. No idea why, but I don't use the CD much anymore, since the iPod connection is more than adequate these days :)

The one in my '09 doesn't seem to skip (yet), but I'm pissed that my 5 year old Toyota came stock with a CD/MP3 player, whereas my brand new bike only plays CD's! :Cool:

Damn tightarses! (BMW)

firefighter217

I don't even Buy CDs anymore, but when we were cruising Big Bend National park ~ 40mph It would have been nice to have some tunes going.

Does BMW have a part number for a AM/FM deck with just an Aux input? That would be sweet!

You can buy the harness that connects to the radio for the AUX option, not cheap but less expensive than a whole new radio.

I did a quick search here and came up with part# 65-11-409-342.

This is what a lot of 1200RT riders have done, myself included.

Some have needed to install a seperate amplifier because it seems that the AUX volume is not sufficient coming from most MP3 players, but I find that the Zumo delivers just enough on its own.

You can do a search here, there are plenty of threads on this subject.

My 08 has never skipped. I make my own CD's and they have never skipped. I really enjoy my CD player and the CalSci windscreen has reduced the wind noise to almost nothing so I can enjoy my CD player at highway speeds now also.

You can buy the harness that connects to the radio for the AUX option, not cheap but less expensive than a whole new radio.

I did a quick search here and came up with part# 65-11-409-342.

This is what a lot of 1200RT riders have done, myself included.

Some have needed to install a seperate amplifier because it seems that the AUX volume is not sufficient coming from most MP3 players, but I find that the Zumo delivers just enough on its own.

You can do a search here, there are plenty of threads on this subject.

My 07 RT came with that harness. I connect the iPod to it and it works well. Didn't need an amplifier once I read the owners manual and this board and figured out that there are 6 aux "power" settings. Only drawback is that the iPod can't be controlled in any way other than directly. Have to open the door to turn it on or off or to do any adjustments. I haven't tried the CD player yet, I will have to see how it performs here in Pothole/Frostheave Country.

Hello all, I just joined this forum.

I live at Sun Peaks, BC, Canada and have had my bike about a month.

I tried my CD player and it skipped a lot so I hooked up a Sirius satellite radio and it works fine. I used a small rare earth magnet to hold the antenna on top of the fairing and a large rare earth magnet to hold the docking station to the radio/CD lid. It's the only metal part I could find.

The speakers aren't great, but neither are my ears.

Love the ride though

My 05 RT came with the radio/cd player. Usually functioned well but I prefer the variety of music afforded by an ipod. Also just installed sirrius radio.

Pulled the cd unit from the bike to recapture the compartment storage space for misc items.

Angel,

What kind of job was it to remove the CD player? I thought that hardware was part of the radio itself. I would like to do the same thing.

Where did you mount your sirius radio? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Basil

Angel,

What kind of job was it to remove the CD player? I thought that hardware was part of the radio itself. I would like to do the same thing.

Where did you mount your sirius radio? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Basil

Pretty simple... remove right side tupperware: fairing, compartment lid & panel. This exposes the right side of the bike and gives you access to 3? or 4? screws that attach the radio compartment to the bike.

At this point, it will look like you need to pull the gas tank. But, do not confuse the screws that attach the compartment to the bike with the set of screws that attach a right side cover to the compartment ( and allow you to remove the cd player unit). The screws that attach the compartment are easy to get to.

You should be able to slide the entire compartment upwards and out. Next, detach the cover from the compartment, disconnect the player and rid yourself (of that POS). :/ Reattach cover and slide it back down and reattach to bike.

FWIW: I was under the impression that the actual compartment liner that is sold by BMW is much larger than it is. In fact, its just a small pouch maybe enough for some small items e.g., wallet, cell phone, B2B kenwood radio. The compartment itself is more spacious than the pouch. I installed the pouch and re-routed the autocom leads for the B2B radio and the cellphone through the bottom of the compartment. (I learned on another post that the B2B radio will function from inside the compartment). with all "extra" wire inside the compartment.

The dock for the (stratus 5) sirrius unit is attached with a ram ball plate to a migsel base for the 12rt. This set up allows me to simply pull off the Sirrius faceplate and leave the dock attached to the bike with no fuss. So far, I am pleased with it.

If you need photos pm me with an email address.

A.

i put in an aftermarket pioneer (I think) and it plays fine but as everyone says my source for music is now my Zumo through a wireless bluetooth stereo set up.

Gadget Magnet

I'm waiting for BMW to dump the CD player all together and install an Ipod connector like they have in their cars.. total ipod integration.. and the ipod could sit in the cd player's compartment.

BradJohnson23

This link is the ipod adaptor that allows the control buttons on the bike to control the ipod. The BMW auto part numbers are listed. This is not the aux plug but an ipod specific plug which also charges the ipod while in use. Seems the CD player stays in this option, although it would be nice to chuck it for the space.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19942&page=2

This link is the ipod adaptor that allows the control buttons on the bike to control the ipod. The BMW auto part numbers are listed. This is not the aux plug but an ipod specific plug which also charges the ipod while in use. Seems the CD player stays in this option, although it would be nice to chuck it for the space.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19942&page=2

A number of us did the same thing on our RT's.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=134107&page=1

I love having mine installed. I do use the Radio to and from work to listen to traffic, but I think I only used the CD player once to see if it worked. I used the ipod the rest of the time. Having the handlebar controls control it makes it nice and easy...

Archived