IGNORED

abs accelerometer

mcfreeak

1 out of 3 times I start my 97 rt the abs light wont stop flashing until I turn the bike off and restart. Then I hear what sounds like an mechanical accelerometer reset and it works fine. It did this occasionally from the time I bought it but now its all the time. Where is this unit and how cam I fix it. Thank you.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

You're experiencing the "low battery" ABS fault common to the 1100 series bikes. Once you start the bike and the alternator tops up the battery a bit, the ABS unit doesn't sense the "low battery" on next start and initializes normally.

You can buy a new battery (not recommended- your's is probably fine), you can continue to restart it when it does this, or you can search for the modification (or maybe someone here can post the link) and fix it forever.

I highly endorse the modification to delay ABS self-test. I did this on my roadster and I'm still using the same battery 30 months later. The problem was extremely annoying without the fix.

• 4 months later...

The instructions say to pull the fuel tank to get at the abs connector. Is that not it right in front of the battery on the left side? I dont see why I have to pull the tank. Or am I looking at the wrong connector?

On the Roadster, it was necessary to pull the tank to follow the instructions as written. However, some have accessed the necessary wire from the other end. You would still need to tap into the lead that runs from the alternator, which I did at the connector on the alternator itself.

I have the same blinking ABS light issue on my 96 R100RT and I just installed a new battery. It seems to be on the first start of the day or after a quick fuel stop???

Typically, it is a cold start problem. The ABS on these bikes tries to do a self-test during startup, which includes a voltage test. The modification adds a relay which delays ABS initiation until after the alternator has come up to speed, effectively eliminating this erroneous condition. It seems to get worse (more sensitive to voltage on test) as the bike ages.

No ABS relay.

I pulled my tank and started to do this mod when I discovered that I have been running my 96 r1100rt almost 10 years with no abs warning relay. Thats probably why my upper abs light never comes on. The ABS seams to work fine in tests on wet roads-grass etc. This bike was rebuilt after a wreck I hope it wasn't left out to cover a problem. Anyone know the part number of the turquoise ABS relay?

Thank you

Finished the mod. Everything works fine.

A couple of things I would add to the ABS-II Low Voltage Fault Modification from the IBMWR tech article. The ABS connector is released by a clasp on the inside of the bottom of the connector. But there is really no need to remove it just cut into the harness there is only one green wire at that point. Cut it in two and run both wires back to the new relay. That way you dont have to go underneath the relay box. Finally any standard "horn" type relay will work. just read the side to match it to the diagram on the IBMWR site. More info on relays here www.autoshop101.com/forms/hweb2.pdf

Thanks for the help. My abs works right for the first time in years even with a "low" battery.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Make sure when you start it, you minimize the current drain for the first couple of seconds. I keep grip warmers and aux lights off and make sure it revs nicely to prevent the dreaded post-ABS fix ABS failure.....

Archived