IGNORED

R1200RT Alternator Belt; alternative part available?

SWB

I didn't see an alternative part number for the alternator belt in the bmwst.com R1200RT BMWST.com parts data archive. Has anyone found a viable replacement other than the OEM belt?

Thanks,

Scott

I notice that the size specified for the '08 RT, according to the realoem.com site, is 4PK582. NAPA and other parts stores could probably match that size, with equal quality, for less than $15. Not sure I'd have the nerve to use non-OEM though. (Also, it's possible the '05 RT uses a different size).

As I understand it, the problem is not sizing the belt, it's getting a belt with the same elastic properties -- that's why you don't see alternatives. Unlike the typical belt where you adjust the tension by moving the alternator however far you need to reach a specific tightness, BMW specs a fixed distance between the pulleys, so that the uber-special belt is stretched the desired amount. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will pop up soon to correct me, but if I'm right, just matching belt length won't get the job done "right" per BMW.

Not that I am at all opposed to alternative parts, but the OEM is pretty cheap, and you only replace it every 24K miles. Just sayin!

Jim :Cool:

Well, ya got to understand, now, that I made the 1 hour round trip to the dealer last weekend to get an air filter. If I find an aftermarket belt for less at a local autoparts store, then I didn't make a mistake and forget to get the belt. Otherwise .... :dopeslap:

It's kinda like that thing about why men won't stop to ask directions ... :rofl:

Not that I am at all opposed to alternative parts, but the OEM is pretty cheap, and you only replace it every 24K miles. Just sayin!

Jim, did they change the interval? I thought I recalled my manual indicating 40k replacement schedule. No?

Jim, did they change the interval? I thought I recalled my manual indicating 40k replacement schedule. No?

40K as in Kilometers, yes. There was an original 36K requirement, but it moved up to 24K a long time ago IIRC!

And remember to carry the proper tools necessary to install the spare. When I changed mine at 35639 miles it looked as shinny as the new one and just the same size. But then again my brakes don't wear out either. I'd get the BMW part. By the way my dealer will mail whatever part I require so I don't need to drive the 2hours round trip.

40K as in Kilometers, yes. There was an original 36K requirement, but it moved up to 24K a long time ago IIRC!
Good to know. Of course, it still wouldn't have helped me last week when at 24k miles and change, my 2nd alternator belt fell off after developing a hole... The first one had developed a hole around 12k and I replaced it at my 12k service.

I'm a big believer in carrying a spare now.

I just had my first alternator belt replaced +50,000 miles and it looked just about like the new one. Except for the cut the dealer mechanic put in it to remove it. Not too good as a spare now.

How does a belt develop a hole and fall off? And two of them in 24K mi.? Is there something else in there that needs to be fixed?

How does a belt develop a hole and fall off? And two of them in 24K mi.? Is there something else in there that needs to be fixed?

Good question. Maybe start a new thread (e.g. "Alternator belt troubles", etc.), and get some of the guys on the forum to focus on your specific problem.

I've never heard of an alternator belt lasting less than 24k miles, let alone two. I guess some debris could get into it and accelerate wear, or perhaps it's too tight (but I'd worry more about alternator shaft and bearings being damaged). Or perhaps there's something near the belt housing that chafing the belt.

Good luck on the solution, because if you've lost two in 24K miles, you'll probably lose another soon.

I don't recall seeing an interval for changing the belt. I heard 30,000 miles. That's what i did, with an OEM belt BTW.

:S

It is now 40,000 km, had mine done with the 40k service.

Ian

Was reading up on replacing the R1200RT belt, and one other consideration came to mind. If the service person mounted the belt opposite it's designed direction of travel (i.e. there's an direction arrow on the belt), that would result in a failed belt within a short period of time. FYI.

I don't recall seeing an interval for changing the belt. I heard 30,000 miles. That's what i did, with an OEM belt BTW.

:S

It is now 40,000 km, had mine done with the 40k service.

Ian

The BMW Service manual (DVD) indicates a 60,000 KM replacement cycle (equivalent to 37,282 miles, or in the U.S.A. a 36K mile replacement cycle).

FYI: I'm going to run my VIN by the local BMW dealer. The bike's had regular dealer service through 42K, and I'm not sure about the brake line purge and alternator belt. The owner briefed me verbally, thought the brake purge was at 42K (12 months ago), and I didn't ask about the alt. belt (which should have been done @36K. Now, I'm thinking that both of those were probably done @36K (and probably 2 years ago).

I've already picked up the dealer belt ($28.00). I read that one person used a 4040235 Gatorback as an alternative, but the big difference is that the BMW belt is not adjusted as with the 11xx bikes. It slips on and your done - there's no need to adjust it because there are no adjustments provided. If the belt does not have the exact "self-tensioned" properties of the OEM, it'll be a problem.

Thanks to all who responded.

- Scott

Anton Largiader
The BMW Service manual (DVD) indicates a 60,000 KM replacement cycle (equivalent to 37,282 miles, or in the U.S.A. a 36K mile replacement cycle).

What DVD are you referring to? What model, what date, what program name?

- Scott

I think you'll find that BMW has updated its maintenance schedule for the alternator belt replacement on the R1200RT to 40,000 kms (down from the earlier 60,000 kms).

Joe Frickin' Friday
And put the old one under the seat for emergencies.

Bill

I've always kept a new one under the seat for roadside replacements. That way, if you do use it, you don't have to swap it out ASAP for a new one; you just leave it installed, and buy another new one to put under the seat.

Archived