IGNORED

Battery Removal

DUBLINCHRIS

Hi all,

Looking for help for friend of mine who owns 1100RT.

The battery appears to be under back of fuel tank what is the easiest way to get battery out? Is it necessary to remove the panels from both sides of tank? What else needs to be taken off?

Also when recharging through on board socket is there any special procedure?

I have an R1200ST and ignition has to be on before plugging in charger to open circuit. On the 1100RT is the socket live when ignition is off?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

DublinChris

To remove the battery you will have to take the left side of the fairing off and remove the air box feed horn. To take off the feed horn you will need to take off the top lid of the air box that covers the air filter. The battery will then slide out to the left. Two people makes it easier because it is hard to hold the battery and unscrew the terminal bolts at the same time. Disconnect the ground connection first.

Thanks very much for that reply makes it all very clear. I confess that after posting I went looking through earlier posts and found similar querey with diagram. but your reply is very straightforward. :thumbsup:

On slightly different issue does anyone have any advice about procedure for charging through on board socket with ignition off. Any special things we should know? :S

Thanks very much for that reply makes it all very clear. I confess that after posting I went looking through earlier posts and found similar querey with diagram. but your reply is very straightforward. :thumbsup:

On slightly different issue does anyone have any advice about procedure for charging through on board socket with ignition off. Any special things we should know? :S

Unlike your R1200, there is no canbus/ZFE on the R1100 to control the socket - it is just connected to the battery via a fuse. Plug in a trickle charger and the job is done.

Andy

When purchased I was advised that my standard 'optimate' would not charge thro the power outlet and that I'd need to buy the BMW trickle charger as this is set up to communicate with the canbus system and keep the power switch 'closed' to the accessory plug.

I guess this is indeed correct as it charged for about 15sec then outlet went open circuit. I also remember that you had to have the ignition switch on when the charging plug went in too. i.e. get charging before you switch off.

Never had chance to prove this as I hard wired the optimate plug direct onto the battery and use it like a standard charging system on a 'normal' bike.

Works fine for four winters now.

Hi Craig

Still touring Europe on the ST?? !!

Sorry if I confused things a bit my querey related to friend who has an R1100RT and his battery removal/charging issues.

I have my BMW tender for the ST and go through the usual ignition on routine before plugging it in and that has kept things good through lay up periods.

All good my end, looks like I will be keeping the ST for a while with trade in values the way they are these days. Reckon my 1981 Z1300 is probably going to be worth more than the ST soon! So much for BMW's holding their values. :rofl:

Archived