IGNORED

What should I check for leaks?

ltljohn

I had a buildup of oily mess on my final drive I cleaned off everything and left it at that because I thought it was from the gear oil I spilled last time I serviced the bike. After about 1500 miles this is what it looks like. The clean spot is where I ran my finger across it. There was a small amount of clean gear oil in the boot. Small meaning less than a teaspoon. What are my choices here??

662483912_5RcEG-M.jpg

Thats pretty normal.When was the last time that you cleaned it up?Its more than likely the input seal on the differential.a small amount like what you found is ok.Don't waste money to get it fixed because it want be to long before it seeps again.After opening the boot take a flashlight and look up the drive shaft housing tunnel.If the oil came from up there its the transmission output shaft seal.That seal should not be leaking.

check your drain tubes too. I know there's one for the air box to drain someplace. If you have overfilled the crankcase or been running higher RPMs for a while, you can get some oil in the air box.

I believe that it's the input seal on the rear drive. It was a common warranty issue that was addressed on my RT.

I would have it fixed although if it only weeps that small amount, you might be happy to keep and eye on your rear drive oil and keep cleaning the oil mist off.

What gear oil are you using in the final drive? Synthetics often cause a bit of pinion gear seal shrinkage and some leakage. Check the fluid levels in both the FD and the tranny. Also, check for rear wheel play. If fluid levels are OK and no rear wheel play, ride on and just plan to clean the grime off as needed.

Archived