IGNORED

Broken muffler hanger on 04 R1150RT

kioolt

The muffler bracket behind the left passenger foot peg has broken on my 04 R1150RT. It appears to be part of the muffler and not sold as a seperate part. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? I'd like to get it taken care of ASAP since I am going on a trip the first of October.

The bike is not under warranty so don't even go there.

Been there, done that.

Remove the exhaust system and the broken piece. Find a welder who can weld stainless steel. Give him/her money and/or beer in exchange for fixing it.

Been there done that twice.

I got a couple of big stainless steel hose clamps and some strip aluminum and made my own muffler hanger. Go to McMaster-Carr's website and search for "hinged-opening bolt hose clamp". Offhand, I don't remember the size, but it's the biggest or second biggest. I made L-shaped brackets out of 1/8" thick strip aluminum that slipped under the hose clamps and stuck up. Then I drilled a hole in the part sticking up, and put a stainless steel bolt through the L-brackets and through the existing hole for the stock hangar. (A picture would be worth a thousand words, but the bike is 2000 miles away and my camera lens isn't that good). It's ugly, but it's held up for lots of hard miles. And it looks like you have some exotic muffler on the bike.

I called a person that I work with about welding it. He said "Sure bring it in tomorrow." I'm in the process of taking it off the bike now. Little did I know that I would have to remove the tank to get the exhause off. The oxygen sensor plugs in under the tank.

A tad off topic, but how can an '04 not be under warranty? I thought the bike had a three year warranty?

The hangar broke on both my 98RT and my 04RT. The 04 was under warranty and I received a new muffler ass'y from BMW. The ass'y costs about $950 new! On the 98 I welded the piece back together and added a SS strengthening bar across the weld, it held up for 3 years until I traded it in.

Be careful to remove the O2 sensor before dropping the muffler all the way!

The bike does have a three year warranty or 36K whichever comes first. The 36K came in July of this year.

Give your dealer a call, this is a common problem and you may get some satisfaction from BMW IMO.

The bike does have a three year warranty or 36K whichever comes first. The 36K came in July of this year.
Interesting...

When I bought my bike I recall being told that there was no mileage limitation... It was just 3 years...

Does this vary by area/dealer, or are my brain cells going bad?

Eric

The dealer gave me a takeoff that looks to have very limited use. I couldn't refuse that offer.

The warranty on my 82 when I bought it was 12 month or 12K miles. Before the end of the year it was upped to 36 month unlimited mileage. I had 50K had it before the 36 months. My 91 had 36 month unlimited mileage. When I bought the 04 there was still 36 month but now the mileage was 36K. I believe that that is how it is for all 04's.

Does this vary by area/dealer, or are my brain cells going bad?
It doesn't vary by area/dealer unless by "area" you are talking country to country. It does vary by model and year though.

Archived