IGNORED

mpg indicator on 08 r1200rtse

garlee

is there a default setting on the mpg indicator on the r1200rt ?.I was amazed to be getting 70.6 mpg on a run out to wales last week on my bike while keeping at a constant 60mph but the mpg figure stuck at 70.6 mpg and would not go any higher than that figure.On he way back it dipped to 65mpg but i am puzzled if that is the highest figure you can acheive on this

GARLEE '08 r1200rtse

I'm not sure about the conversion to use units, but depending on gear selection, luggage, windshield position, how you apply the throttle, wind and the terrain, that might be the highest you can achieve at this time. Somtimes it will improve after the next service interval (valve check and TB synch).

the best I've seen is around 52mpg (US). Most of the time it's between 38-48mpg depending on conditions.

At 60mph, you may be wanting to try 5th or even 4th (depending on terrain). I only use 6th at 60mph if it's very flat terrain with no headwind or a tailwind. I normally use 5th at that speed, but soemtimes 4th or 3rd if it's a twisty road and I'm "playing" instead of cruising.

IF I could keep my 07RT at 60mph for an entire tank, I could probably get 60+ mpg US. As it is right now I get anywhere from 45-55 mpg in regular riding.

My MPG display is always spot on +/ .1 mpg with actual computed.

YMMV ;-)

...I was amazed to be getting 70.6 mpg on a run out to wales last week ... at a constant 60mph

GARLEE '08 r1200rtse

Wow! I wish I got that. Usually 42-48 (US) MPG at 70 MPH. Got low 50's at 55-60 MPH. That is with cruise control on, premium fuel, single rider, windscreen most of the way up or more, 6th gear with my '09. Saddle bags on or off has not mattered.

I'm not clear on is how fuel flow is computed. Is there a fuel flow meter in the gas line? It obviously isn't determining fuel consumption based on tank level - my gauge is fried, but the mileage computation still seems to be fairly accurate for the most part.

M.T. using a flow meter in the fuel line is very difficult as the system uses both a pressure line & a fuel return line.. The return would also have to be measured & computed against the supply side (too expensive & complicated)..

I would imagine the fuel usage is computed same as a lot of automobile systems.. The fuel injector “pulse time vs injector voltage vs speedo input” is used to allow the computer to compute fuel usage..

Twisty

M.T. using a flow meter in the fuel line is very difficult as the system uses both a pressure line & a fuel return line.. The return would also have to be measured & computed against the supply side (too expensive & complicated)..

I would imagine the fuel usage is computed same as a lot of automobile systems.. The fuel injector “pulse time vs injector voltage vs speedo input” is used to allow the computer to compute fuel usage..

Twisty

Makes sense - and that would be very accurate too, since a fuel injector solenoid is basically a positive displacement metering pump anyway.

Achieved the 70.6 mpg figure at a constant 60mph with the cruise control on ,in 6th gear ,the windshield in the highest position ,with the large topbox on and tankbag fitted ,but no panniers attached .There were a few steep hills on the route mixed with long streches of flat terrain . it is still showing 64mpg a couple of weeks later and 2 tankfulls of fuel.Must be something to do with filling up most of the time with tescos finest premium quality unleaded fuel!

Paul In Australia

Or the drugs your on... Good stuff whatever it is.......

You must be riding a RT 250 RTSE. Must have been a great tail wind working on the windscreen?

have a great day

regards

PCH

Cheeky ! honestly its true ,i must have a miracle bike or must be a god of a rider .Took a photo of the onboard computer readings when i stopped on my mobile phone .Dont know how to put them on the website myself ,but will ask the wife as she is more clued up than me

Whatever happened with the mpg i want it to do it again!And have checked it with the tripmeter and the petrol left in the tank ,so it was right

Paul In Australia
Whatever happened with the mpg i want it to do it again!And have checked it with the tripmeter and the petrol left in the tank ,so it was right

Amazing mate , if I am correct that converts to 3.3 l/100km. I am moving to England to get some of that mojo!!!!!!!!

By the way the grip on the right is the go stick.

very best regards

PCH

I usually get around 55~57 UK MPG from mine. Mind you I'm rarley in 6th at 60MPH TBH, or at least only for a short while.

Have you tried resetting the MPG display to see if it repeats?

\v/

I am moving to England to get some of that mojo!!!!!!!!

You would be shocked how much you have to pay for it. They give it away in Oz!

David Vale

Amazing mate , if I am correct that converts to 3.3 l/100km. I am moving to England to get some of that mojo!!!!!!!!

Since his 70.6 mpg figure is in Imperial Gallons, it is about 58 mpg for U.S. gallons. This equals about 4.0 litres per 100 km - still not too shabby. But also bear in mind that this is at a steady 60 mph. At those speeds, I usually get about 55~57 mpg.

My overall average for 25,000 miles is 50.2 (US) mpg or 4.7 l/100km.

Tom

Garlee, press and hold the OBC button when in MPG to reset it, otherwise it'll give you MPG since last reset, averaged (I think).

Same goes for average speed.

My mpg is circa 55 mpg, running on super unleaded always. Not sure how well I trust the accuracy of this readout, but seems a reasonable figure.

You sure the 70mpg isn't coasting DOWN the Welsh mountains?

The MPG figure is a calcuated average since last reset. Keep in mind, the longer you wait between resets, the more mileage the average is based on. So, the less immediate impact a change in immediate MPG will make on the display. So, if you didn't reset your MPG indicator for 6 months, very little will impact the displayed MPG. Perhaps, constant redlining on the gears for a while might move it down..

58 MPG converted from Imperial gallons is not unheard of. I have seen over 60.. Of course some of that was downhill ...

Over the long haul, I am averaging around 46 - 52 mpg with several high spirts. But I am frequently going up and down mountains.

The MPG figure is a calcuated average since last reset. Keep in mind, the longer you wait between resets, the more mileage the average is based on. So, the less immediate impact a change in immediate MPG will make on the display. So, if you didn't reset your MPG indicator for 6 months, very little will impact the displayed MPG.

Over the long haul, I am averaging around 46 - 52 mpg with several high spirts. But I am frequently going up and down mountains.

I recall a thread (can't remember which forum, unfortunately) where an RT owner complained that his MPG was significantly declining without any change in his riding habits. Apparently, the readout has a maximum mileage figure which is used for the calculation, but no maximum gallons consumed figure. Since he had never reset the MPG indicator, he had bumped up against that limitation and his 50 mpg had fallen to the low 40's!

My '84 4 cylinder GW1200 normally averaged about 40 mpg, but achieved nearly 50 riding across Colorado on Rt. 50 from Monarch Pass to Lamar - an altitude drop of nearly 8,000 feet!

Tom

Karl,

The exact conversion is 20/16 = 1.25

For reasons that I think you can safely say defy any normal logic the UK changed the size of the pint from 16 fluid ounces to 20 fluid ounces in the early 1800s. With 8 pints to a gallon you can see where the difference arises!

Still it gives us hours of amusement/bemusement.

Derek

Survived-til-now

You got 70.6 mpg / 65 mpg at 60 mph..... therefore a spot reading and not an average mpg, so how did you check that against fuel left in the tank, which could only give you an average mpg against the trip odometer? Or are you saying you got 65 mpg with an average speed of 60 mph...... in which case your speed varied....

If what you are saying is that you got 65 - 70 mpg average then I am afraid your odometer, speedo, or fuel computer or a combination of them is knackered. Even BMW only claim 3.3ltrs at a constant 56mph, on a test track and under (obviously) ideal conditions.

Too good to be true - sorry !

Andy

Archived